PDA

View Full Version : fuse burn time

btyree
02-26-2013, 10:23 AM
This year will be my first year using an electronic firing system (Cobra). So usually I’m standing at ground zero the whole time lighting by fire. This year I will be using the Cobra manual remote, so I’ll need to time the fuses in order to keep everything flowing.

My question is: what is the standard or approximate burn time of the fuse for;

500g cakes?
Single shot aerial mortars?
Reloadable shells particularly 1.75” cylinders?

Glasscitypyro
02-26-2013, 02:34 PM
Visco usually burns at like 15-20 or so seconds a foot and there is about a foot or so of fuse on a shell so between 15-25 seconds i would guess.

Rocketshooter
02-26-2013, 03:19 PM
All consumer items have a fuse burn time that should be long enough to light and get safely away.
However it think the burn time varies between manufacturers and the design of the cake, shell etc.
The best way for cakes or shells is to replace the existing fuse with a quick burning visco fuse ( 1 to 3 sec a foot works well).
It will cut down the burn time and make it more instantaneous. A 3" length of 2 sec per foot for example would burn in a 1/2 sec.

PyroJoeNEPA
02-26-2013, 04:36 PM
Green artillery shell fuse--both ball shell & canisters burns at 4 sec/foot. You did not mention if you are using Talons or Ematches. If you want fast ignition, there are threads on the Forum that describe how to attach the igniter at the top of the shell to cut down burn time--and replacing standard visco with fast fuse is the best way to do consumer cakes. You can even use the cut offs of the artillery shell fuses for your cakes. Recycle!!!!

btyree
02-26-2013, 05:00 PM
Thanks I’ll be using Talon igniters.

PyroJoeNEPA
02-26-2013, 06:05 PM
Thanks I’ll be using Talon igniters.

If you add a piece of the grey paper fuse around the fuse you want to light-- the Talon will give it more fire & light easier.

btyree
03-06-2013, 09:59 PM
If you add a piece of the grey paper fuse around the fuse you want to light-- the Talon will give it more fire & light easier.

dually noted thanks