PDA

View Full Version : Sign of the Cross in fireworks display

displayfireworks1
02-21-2013, 10:32 PM
Usually when pattern display shells are used in a display, they are shot in flights (more than one) because you never know how they are going to be oriented when they break. You may shoot five and hope that two display correctly for the audience.
How does the audience perceive the pattern shell? You never really know because they do not know how it all works or take into consideration the varying perspectives. Someone posted the video stating they saw a “Cross” in a fireworks display. Check it out in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywSoR0z_vQw

wpman321
02-22-2013, 12:06 AM
you sure that wasn't 2 ring shells on their side from the camera's view, that just happened to overlap.

Glasscitypyro
02-22-2013, 12:09 AM
there 2 blue ring shells breaking at different angles that made it look like a cross but they were just rings.

Pyro Nation
02-22-2013, 01:57 AM
yeah..those were just blue ring shells

displayfireworks1
02-22-2013, 09:00 AM
I know it was the orientation of the rings and even commented on his video. I just found it interesting that someone in an audience would perceive it as something different. I am posting this as an illustration that when pattern shells break all over the place who knows what someone in the audience is thinking they saw.
If you ever have someone approach you at the end of a fireworks display and say something like “Did you guys shoot a cross in the fireworks display?” Then you answer, “We sure did, did you see it? LOL

jknepp1954
02-22-2013, 12:25 PM
yep - def 2 blue ring shells.
But really cool the way they criss crossed! yes - pun intended!

PyroJoeNEPA
02-22-2013, 12:33 PM
Really cool how the effect happened.

smilli
02-22-2013, 01:00 PM
I've seen japanese pyrotechnicians use thick peaces of roap atteched to te shell to decrease the shell from spinning around in the air.
Making the chance the audience see's what you want them to see.

Pyro-T
02-23-2013, 10:10 AM
When you want to see a true big cross in a shell effect, then choose the Maltese Cross shells.

But the correct solution to prevent the shell effect from appearing in the wrong position, is to add a 50-70cm long rope on to the shell. This prevents the shell from spinning in the air.
In Japan this trick is used often, they even make lead effects on to the rope, called Kyoku-do (Rising Effect) Like the smaller flowers and comets appearing under the shell during his way up, ending in the shell his primair effect. Here's an example: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_sYV2p2TkB0

PyroManiacs
02-23-2013, 11:11 AM
So basically what the rope does, it just stabilizes the shell as it hurls in the air, the same way the fins on a rocket keep it going straight?

Pyro-T
02-23-2013, 11:15 AM
Jep, ty a piece of rope onto a tennisball and sling it up in to the air.
You will see that the tennisball won't spinn and the rope hangs under it.

displayfireworks1
02-23-2013, 12:01 PM
Yes, the rope on a fireworks shell will help to stabilize it and keep it in the right orientation. The rope or string on a fireworks device may also be used by the pyro-technician if the company he is working for does not provide dental benefits for his family. I’ll let the video explain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPhRiaNW4UQ

Pyro-T
02-23-2013, 12:08 PM
The rope does for the shell what wings or a stick does for the rocket.

mike2255
02-25-2013, 02:50 PM
Its never a good idea to shoot pattern shells in flights, (for example here). when they break so close together and overlap you have a hard time figuring out what the hell they are. Its best to shoot them a couple of seconds after eachother so at least if the first one doesnt work people have have a 2nd chance to figure out what the 2nd one is, or vice versa.

PyroManiacs
02-25-2013, 07:55 PM
I remember that tooth video, lol.