PDA

View Full Version : Do you need insurance to shoot 1.3

tonyewell72778
01-28-2013, 04:10 PM
It might be a stupid question but I can't find the answers anywhere I appreciate any help Thanks Tony. I'm doing my shows for myself and family. And not sure that makes a difference or not .

PyroManiacs
01-28-2013, 04:50 PM
Well, I dont know about your states laws, But in PA you do not.

Display or Exhibitor Fireworks. Under Ohio law, it is illegal for an unlicensed person to manufacture, possess, use, or store display or exhibitor fireworks (also know as 1.3G fireworks), which include aerial shells fired from mortars. These fireworks may be sold only by licensed manufacturers and wholesalers and only to licensees (manufacturers, wholesalers, exhibitors, and nonresidents licensed to sell fireworks at retail). They may be discharged, ignited, or exploded in the state only by licensed exhibitors in accordance with Ohio laws (Ohio Rev. Code Ann. § 3743.44). Among other things, the exhibitor must have a permit, signed by both the local fire chief and law enforcement official, certifying that the display will be conducted in a safe manner.

tonyewell72778
01-28-2013, 04:59 PM
my friend is getting his type 54 license and he's actually friends with the police chief and fire chief. they already gave him a permit number but no 1 has ever said anything about insurance . And I do live in Ohio .

PyroManiacs
01-28-2013, 07:29 PM
I think if your doing a show in commerce you need to have insurance because of the spectators.
But if its private you do not.

hatsgoods
01-28-2013, 08:20 PM
no qestion is stupid. but the only stupid one is the one that you dont ask

Northern Sky
01-28-2013, 08:32 PM
BE CAREFUL ! Ohio can be very difficult and costly. You MUST have an Ohio certified shooter on the site. That is not a state to get busted in. Ignorance in not an excuse especially in that state.

Having a 54 only gives you federal permission to purchase and possess. It has nothing to do with use. In addition only 1.3 product sold by authorized distributors can be shot in Ohio.

Northern Sky
01-28-2013, 08:38 PM
I would like to suggest you check out NEOPG of which I am a member: http://www.neopg.com/

tonyewell72778
01-28-2013, 09:26 PM
How do you become an Ohio certified shooter?

Northern Sky
01-28-2013, 09:47 PM
You need to be registered with the state fire marshall have logged several shoots as an assistant on licensed, permitted shoots. Then be a lead shooter with licensed shooter present pending recommendation . Then pass a written course. The easiest way is to become a member of NEOPG shoot with us/them to gain the experience and recommendation. Not to mention make some new friends, and other club benefits. PA is an easy state to shoot in.

Your buddies connections are nice to have and will be beneficial in the long run but if something happens and the I's arn dotted and the T's crossed, I wonder who will be thrown under the bus. It won't be the cop or fire dept, I an fairly sure of that.

It isn't that hard to do right. Not to mention fun to learn from knowledgeable people. We shoot some pretty impressive shows.

tonyewell72778
01-28-2013, 10:19 PM
I see that Kellner’s offers a class to get your shooters certificate would. Would that work? And we will look into joining your group. It looks like a lot of fun. And thanks again for all your help

Pyro Nation
01-29-2013, 12:47 AM
its the PGI class,,, u take that and pass, then need to get 5 shoots under a company.. 3 of any fashion of helping and 2 as lead / co lead then you can get the shooter cert from the PGI

jknepp1954
01-29-2013, 07:13 AM
Ohio i believe has its own testing procedures and requirements. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

Steviet000
01-29-2013, 08:45 PM
The tests are off of the NFPA 1123 (outdoor) and 1126 (close prox indoors)and ORC 3743 (I believe it's 3743). And I believe now, which I am not sure but in order to get your Exhibitors license you have to also pass the close prox as well. But before you can even sit for the exam you have to have a letter of proficiency from a licensed lead shooter of company showing you have experince handling explosives and whatnot. For me I was an exhibitor assistant for 4 months prior and then after experience was able to get my letter to take the test. NorthernSky is right. Best way is to join a club and NEOPG is awesome. You will get experience for sure and those guys are amazing and very creative with what they do. I joined NEOPG a year ago and then also starting working for a local company, that's how I got my experience. It's not an over night thing you can do to just do a show. Also the PGI class means nothing to Ohio, you can do it for the learning experience which is recommened but it will not help you at all in getting your license.

displayfireworks1
01-29-2013, 09:54 PM
Ah Ohio, land of many pyrotechnic mysteries. At one time, no one thought you could even get an ATF license to purchase 1.3 fireworks in Ohio. Then it was rumored that no one could get an ATF license unless they first passed all the state of Ohio requirements to be a shooter. ATF offices in Ohio actually told people this on the phone. Thanks to a few brave individuals that pushed their applications forward, we now know you can get an ATF license to purchase 1.3 fireworks in Ohio just as easily as any other state.
The question now is, can an ATF licensed individual shoot fireworks on his own property for private use with a permit from the local authorities without having a state fireworks exhibitor’s license. I know people in Ohio that are shooting fireworks all the time like this and they are not state certified as shooters.
If it possible, it would be interesting to find an ATF Type 54 license holder cited for shooting fireworks without a state exhibitors license. I am sure there are people cited for shooting displays for profit in public venues, however are there any for shooting fireworks for your own personal use. If I knew what agency is in charge of this in Ohio I would make a freedom of information request.
I would say if you are properly ATF licensed and have permission from the local fire and police, you are good to go. In most areas of the country partially in rural settings, this is usually how it is done. Then again, some people need to hear it is OK from 20 people and authorities before they are Ok with it. You have to decide where you fit in all this.
The PGI shooter certification is accepted by a few states as meeting the requirements for state certification, I believe Nebraska used to be one of them, however Ohio is not.

Northern Sky
01-29-2013, 10:04 PM
Close Prox is a separate certification in Ohio.

Steviet000
01-30-2013, 01:22 AM
Close Prox is a separate certification in Ohio.

Yes, same as flame effects. But I heard that they did or are going to change the requirements that to become a lead shooter you have to have both display and close prox. Not sure if that went into place or not.

Northern Sky
01-30-2013, 09:24 AM
Not sure there Steve. I know a few of the guys went for close prox training and certification. I couldn't make that one. Pretty bummed about it. There is a meeting next weekend so I can get some details.

tonyewell72778
01-30-2013, 05:32 PM
Thanks for all the help. You all make thing easy. That why I love PYROTALK

tonyewell72778
01-30-2013, 05:38 PM
my last question is do you need the test before you get your type 54 license thanks

displayfireworks1
01-30-2013, 07:03 PM
I think we explained it all fairly well please go back and read the post. The state test the ATF license, the permit, the insurance etc. are all separate issues one is not contingent upon the other. One thing for sure you will need some form of an ATF license to purchase the fireworks.

Steviet000
01-30-2013, 07:56 PM
Not sure there Steve. I know a few of the guys went for close prox training and certification. I couldn't make that one. Pretty bummed about it. There is a meeting next weekend so I can get some details.

Yeah I will be going on vacation the next day (10th) so I won't be able to make it. Have fun. Yeah I believe after that when they took the test they all passed. But I don't know if they had to have that or they couldnt' renew.