PDA

View Full Version : Loading Artillery shells wrong

displayfireworks1
01-17-2013, 01:39 AM
This is one of my unlisted videos that will only appear on the forums. In this video I take a look at a mortar supplied with the World Class 2012 Excalibur artillery shells. I talk about the American Fireworks Standards Laboratories and the psychology behind loading an artillery shell upside down.
As a stated in a previous post they are trying to make the reloadable mortar withstand the explosive force of an artillery shell loaded backwards. I would also propose they make the fuse visible to the very end of the shell and not cover the last few inches under the wrapper. Currently the fuse gives the illusion it is lighting the bottom of the shell. This may be why we see these loading backwards with inexperienced people. I explain in the video. Please comment on this if you have theory on design.
In the near future I will be taking the HDPE mortar and placing an Excalibur shell in it backwards to see what it will do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwIgPr00eUU&feature=youtu.be

NOLApyro
01-17-2013, 06:01 PM
My theory is that people load the shells backwards intentionally for more noise. When used properly, the shell goes 200 hundred feet (give or take) in the air before it bursts but when it bursts in the tube it bursts closer to the spectators or person lighting it and is therefore seemingly louder. I've seen people do this and I asked why they did it and they simply answered "because it makes it louder." Obviously they didn't care about their safety or the safety of those around them, they just wanted more noise.

David_La
01-17-2013, 08:52 PM
Canister type shells can be wrapped/labelled to either hide or expose the complete length of the fuse. I, personally, would like to see it exposed to inspect the fuse for defects prior to use. I have seen and experienced many duds, most of which were due to malfunctioning fuses. A malfuctioned fuse, in my opinion, leads to much greater risk than inverted shells as they have the uncanny ability to ignite when least expected. I have a co-worker that lost an eye to a dud shell that exploded when it was overturned for inspection and the smoldering fuse re-ignited.

In either case, to safely use theses devices certain basic skills are usually required such as:
a) The ability to read instructions.
b) The willingness to follow instructions.
b) A basic understanding of the device.
c) Knowledge of dealing with mis-fires (of any type.)
d) Common sense.

If one is lacking in any of these areas, it is a recipe for disaster. I might also add sobriety to that list.

So, here we have a classic case of a product which, when used as advertised and labelled, is fairly safe, but due to a [relatively] small number of incidents in which the above mentions skills were absent or ignored, the industry, undoubtedly sensing pressure from lawsuits or legislation, feels the need to incorporate unneccesary and costly engineering controls in an attempt to make it "idiot proof".

In doing so, I can envision scenarios such as:
a) Make them idiot proof. - Impossible.
b) Require individual mortars, i.e. Netherlands type single shot tubes only.
c) Outlaw them, they are too dangerous. - Likely in this political climate.

While I applaude World Class for going the 'extra mile", I fear it may may only drive up prices. The cost of HDPE tubes is significant. How many of these tubes would end up in land fills as rubbish each year? Will there be a secondary market for recycled HDPE? Are they safe for re-use as is, or would some type of inspection (government regulated, of course) be required? Wouldn't it be cheaper and more environmentally friendly to just outlaw them?

Perhaps an alternative would be to regulate them into 1.3 class.

Holy smokes!!! Where will it end?

How do we deal with a public that wants to use fireworks and lacks most of the above listed skills?

Idiocracy in the U.S. is nearly complete.

Vavoom
01-18-2013, 04:19 PM
<snip>
I would also propose they make the fuse visible to the very end of the shell and not cover the last few inches under the wrapper. Currently the fuse gives the illusion it is lighting the bottom of the shell. This may be why we see these loading backwards with inexperienced people.
<snip>

I agree that it would be an improvement to have the fuse visibly running to the bottom of the shell.
Recently I made the same mistake with a small stage fountain being fused in the same way. On the outside you really could not see what top or bottom was. And if I can make the mistake.....

<snip>
In either case, to safely use theses devices certain basic skills are usually required such as:
a) The ability to read instructions.
b) The willingness to follow instructions.
c) A basic understanding of the device.
d) Knowledge of dealing with mis-fires (of any type.)
e) Common sense.

If one is lacking in any of these areas, it is a recipe for disaster.
<snip>

Although I agree, it's mostly arguement c and d that are lacking to the public in general.
How often haven't we tried to install a device like a sound system or a DIY shed without reading the frikkin' manual? It's only after we acknowledge that we got stuck and/or made an error, that we reach for the manual. When dealing with fireworks, by then, it can already be too late. Could mankind just be stubborn?

And I know, neglect or stubbornness should not be a reason for a ban or restrictions, but there's a reason for rules and regulations other than common sense. But that's another discussion, we'd better not continue in this thread.

David_La
01-18-2013, 07:28 PM
[QUOTE=displayfireworks1;15024] Please comment on this if you have theory on design.

Sorry for the rant, I see it is off topic.

Try this design theory:
Add carbon-fiber layer(s). Would it be effective? Would it be cheaper to produce than the HDPE layer shown in the video?

fatcat
01-21-2013, 11:16 PM
A couple of points;
1. Unfortunately most of the consumer fireworks in this country are probably used on the 4th of July and New Year's Eve, both days that are associated with high consumption of alcoholic beverages, so reading instructions and using common sense are mostly ignored Not a good mix when using something can potentially hurt/kill you.
2. If I would put the shell in the tube upside down, wouldn't I effectively be shortening the available fuse by the length of the shell and consequently, there may not be enough fuse to even light safely? Maybe a warning on the shells/tubes that if there isn't (x) inches of fuse outside the tube "DO NOT LIGHT".
As the comedian Ron White said, "You can't fix stupid"; I believe David LA hit the nail on the head with his item that in this climate the outcome will be to make them illegal.
Sorry about the rant

PyroManiacs
01-22-2013, 12:46 AM
Also noticed that about the fuse length. The AFW Electric Rain shells have a fuse that wont stick out of the tube if it is upside down. Its taped down to the can pretty tight. Heres a pic I took.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/KillaNinjaChuklz/20130120_233650_zpsb78a5272.jpg

PyroJoeNEPA
01-22-2013, 10:34 AM
Also noticed that about the fuse length. The AFW Electric Rain shells have a fuse that wont stick out of the tube if it is upside down. Its taped down to the can pretty tight. Heres a pic I took.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/KillaNinjaChuklz/20130120_233650_zpsb78a5272.jpg

Unfortunately, if someone has an "elevated blood/alcohol level" the short fuse probably would not stop them from holding the shell in the tube, lighting the fuse, & dropping it. Stupid? Yes! Probable? Yes! But then again, these are the kind of people that have roman candle "battles" and launch bottle rockets from their butt cracks. Yeah, I know----it is amazing the dumb stuff people post on You Tube.

deeks
02-18-2013, 10:26 PM
FOA puts glow in the dark arrows on theirs and makes the fuse too short upside down.

deeks
02-18-2013, 10:28 PM
oh, and I love the hdpe tubes I cut the molded bases down and make regular racks out of them. have over 400 of them

PyroManiacs
02-19-2013, 02:17 AM
hah, i do the same thing, deeks.

valmo2379
04-10-2013, 02:06 AM
that's a nice consumer shell, probably better than french consumer shells, effects look better, I am excited to see it in action!

smilli
04-12-2013, 07:29 AM
Maybe it's an idea to put an useless pointy rockettip at the the top of the shell, i will remind them of a bottle rocket and it's probably better known how to shoot it.

displayfireworks1
04-12-2013, 10:14 PM
That is a great suggestion adding a fake cone shape to the shell. This way the novice person would interpret the shell to face upward. Can you tell us are these 1.75 inch reloadable shells for sale as consumer fireworks in Holland?

smilli
04-13-2013, 11:02 AM
No reloadable shells are forbidden, we are aloud to sell preloaded shells up to 2 inch containing a maxium of 50 grams for the whole tube.
Flash is aloud in the burst but no more than 2 grams and it may only be used as a booster so we don't have salute shells.
Here is an example of the biggest preloaded mortars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oamHk_7OD9s

Credits to vuurwerkcrew