PDA

View Full Version : 3" inch cake SCAM!!

pyroeg19
10-09-2012, 09:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcS_BzvJUbE&list=UUCHKiGv_ugyyhv0QRM-HQzA&index=72&feature=plcp

Pyro Nation
10-09-2012, 10:22 PM
this has been known for quite a long time, but thanks for posting

and why are u paying $150 for 2... DAMN.... WHOLESALE is needed

PyroJoeNEPA
10-10-2012, 12:20 PM
This video reeks of "I don't know what I am doing". Inch & a quarter shells---I think you mean 1.75". "Cylinder shaped stars?"-Never saw a pumped star? Must not know much about real Pyro! ---and very lucky he didn't take his hand off the way he pulled the insert free from the outer shell and time fuse! Not to mention the way he cut into the shell with the razor blade knife----so don't listen to him when he says "you need to start taking your fireworks apart". Keep your hands, fingers, and life! Don't do it!
It is common knowledge that 3" shells are 1.3g products---NOT 1.4g. Any NOAB you buy will have-at best- a 2 1/2" insert in a 3" ball outer shell to make it look bigger! and they are still regulated with the legal amount of pyro composition that can be put into them as outlined under 1.4g guide lines.
The bottom line is---if you want to shoot 3" shells, get your Type 54, take the PGI Safety Certification course, work with someone that knows what they are doing and you will be able to buy half a case of three inch 1.3 shells to shoot for what you spent on two NOAB's!
If not, then enjoy the 1.4 product that is out there for what it is. The NOAB's are well made shells and do break much harder than the typical 1.75" consumer ball shell mainly because they are pasted thicker. The composition can not be greater in weight than allowed by law. A prime example of "What you see is NOT what you get"!

kitsune
10-10-2012, 07:35 PM
so don't listen to him when he says "you need to start taking your fireworks apart".

Especially when this isn't the first video out there of one of these being taken apart. Really, this all should common knowledge. Buyer beware. You don't need to be taking your fireworks apart to know that. As someone who has an interest in manufacturing, I'm not averse to taking apart a device to see how it was made... In the interests of Science. But it should be done with much more care than was shown in this video.

Moreover: How it's constructed is only part of the story. I could care less if it's 4" or 3" or 1.75" as long as it performs well, by my standards and preferences. In my book Brothers generally does pretty well in that department. Also, I think that "flash" comment is a bit irresponsible. Flash is pretty strictly regulated, and without a more through chemical analysis (which I didn't see in this video) it's impossible to tell what they're using to break their shells. We all know various agencies watch the internet. Throwing language like that around could get people in trouble. Just something to keep in mind.

NOLApyro
10-10-2012, 10:52 PM
I knew they weren't 3in shells, but what I didn't know is how big they really were. If you watch some of his other vids, he takes apart some other random fireworks.

pyroeg19
10-11-2012, 02:14 AM
"Throwing language like that around could get people in trouble."

what language.... i think its pretty great taking these fireworks apart to see whats inside of them and how they are made. he knew that they were not 3 inch shells but its nice to see what is really inside of there..

jknepp1954
10-11-2012, 07:03 AM
Pyroeg19 - If you heard the story I heard this past week - you would STRONGLY DISAGREE!!!

pyromaniac
10-11-2012, 02:36 PM
I've seen Dave take apart a few fireworks throughout the years in some of his videos. I see nothing wrong with it. If a manufacturer gets in some trouble from the CPSC, its by their own doing. Not because some you-tuber exposes something sketchy!

pyroeg19
10-11-2012, 04:13 PM
jknepp1954- what does that even mean? don't make a statement like that and not tell us what your are talking about?

kitsune
10-11-2012, 07:15 PM
I see nothing wrong with it. If a manufacturer gets in some trouble from the CPSC, its by their own doing. Not because some you-tuber exposes something sketchy!

I have a problem with it if they're getting a manufacturer in trouble without any verifiable proof that they've actually done anything wrong, even if it's out of ignorance. It's tough enough as it is to buy decent fireworks in this country... We don't need to be giving the CPSC an excuse to be going after importers/retailers/manufacturers.

pyroeg19
10-11-2012, 09:11 PM
this might piss some of you off but i think some will like it excel dissection..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVrdI3cCpYw&feature=g-u-u

jknepp1954
10-11-2012, 10:15 PM
jknepp1954- what does that even mean? don't make a statement like that and not tell us what your are talking about?
Lets put it this way - it involved something similar to this and a person trip to an ER - not pretty at all...

displayfireworks1
10-11-2012, 11:42 PM
For some reason fireworks made to look like they are larger than what they are angers me more than overloaded fireworks.
Overloaded fireworks make me feel I am getting a better value for my money. Falsely labeled fireworks make me feel cheated. These high prices cakes marked three-inch shells but really are 1.75 inch shells with a false three inch outer rapper need exposed. What I am wondering is, do these deceptive fireworks carry the “AFSL” sticker on the cardboard case they come in. The more I see this deceptive packaging on consumer fireworks the more I want to purse a consumer complaint against false labeling on these fireworks.
If you are not familiar with the American Fireworks Safety Laboratories please visit their website at this link below. I eventually will be releasing a video about them along with my opinion. However, until then if anyone is aware of these deceptively labeled fireworks carrying the “AFSL” sticker on the outside case please post it here. The AFSL wants the entire consumer fireworks market in the United States to adopt their list of standards for consumer fireworks, if they are approving these made to look bigger fireworks they will lose credibility with me fast. So we need to look at this issue closer.

http://www.afsl.org/
In reference to the comment about protecting fireworks. I always say fireworks need promoted not protected. Let the professional organization out their protect fireworks. If we as users of fireworks feel cheated with getting less than what the label says we should speak up. Do not sell me a canister artillery shell that is really a ball shell, do not sell me a three inch cake that is really a 1.75 cake, do not sell me a large firecracker that is really a small firecracker with more cardboard, do not sell me a large cone fountain with a small amount of composition. Do not give me less, charge me more and expect me to protect you.

Extremepyro1
10-12-2012, 12:17 AM
Not even close to a 1.75 inch shells performance whatch the video of this cake and it sounds amazing. Go shoot this next to any 1.75 shell and make a video I dare you. Then we shall see which is really better. Not to mention I can buy anything I want as long as I like it no matter the price.

Pyro Nation
10-12-2012, 01:59 AM
Dont ya know..its a picture of the person who made it...

pyroeg19
10-12-2012, 02:03 AM
dave- what you just said is the exact reason i posted it. the chinese are notorious for "ripping people off" no matter what the product. i feel that we pay so much for these products because of the high demand from different state laws and shipping. if I'm going to buy an expensive cake for of $50 i want it to be the cake that they advertise not some knock off. i found it crazy the lengths that they went to in this cake to conceal the 1.75inch shell. also dave i cannot wait for your videos from pgi release those babies into the wild lol

Extremepyro1- are you saying that this cakes breaks are better then any canister shell. you may be right but they are no where near the 3" size that is advertised...yes you can buy anything you want no matter the price but most people want value for what they are paying for. I'm sick of places like Phantom Fireworks and Skylighter Fireworks charging people the prices they are charging. they are able to get away with it because people come from out of that state to buy their products and don't know any better, and think they are getting "value for their product. when really they are being charges 4 times the price of a normal firework store. it needs to stop and hopefully with the new laws from the states coming into affect like the legalization of fireworks in Michigan and Maine started 2012 something will change. Hopefully Pennsylvania wakes up and realizes the tax revenue they are losing and legalizes the fireworks to their residence that are already being sold in their state!!!!! we need lobbyist to help us do this any thoughts?

pyroeg19
10-12-2012, 02:04 AM
Pyrolific- you think so? i think it was just old newspaper that they used with some glue to press into a plug? thought it was interesting enough to post

Backyard Pyro
10-15-2012, 09:15 PM
this might piss some of you off but i think some will like it excel dissection..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVrdI3cCpYw&feature=g-u-u This video was deleted

Backyard Pyro
10-15-2012, 09:19 PM
I love to see how it all works and there is nothing wrong with taking your fireworks apart to find out. It's just another part of the pyro expierience. If I'm getting ripped off I'd rather know then to keep getting ripped off. My video was not put out to stir anything up, it was just for fun for all the viewers who were curious just like me.

PyroManiacs
10-15-2012, 09:49 PM
Backyard Pyro, I would have just left it up. I found it very interesting. Im sure others have too. Just because one person has a problem with it..doesnt mean everyone else does, ya know? I have takin apart many a device through my 15+ years of being involved with the use of fireworks. I also agree with nothing wrong with taking stuff apart to see how it works, regardless of what warnings say. Thats like being told by a car dealership that you are not allowed to change your own oil. Its a free world. Do want you want if it makes you happy, because in the end, thats what it all about.

But these days, I tend to be way more cautious with the things I do when involving myself with pyrotechnics. You only gain experience by, well....experiencing things. Can anyone prove that wrong? Nope!

Do what you do Pyro!

Backyard Pyro
10-15-2012, 10:38 PM
Backyard Pyro, I would have just left it up. I found it very interesting. Im sure others have too. Just because one person has a problem with it..doesnt mean everyone else does, ya know? I have takin apart many a device through my 15+ years of being involved with the use of fireworks. I also agree with nothing wrong with taking stuff apart to see how it works, regardless of what warnings say. Thats like being told by a car dealership that you are not allowed to change your own oil. Its a free world. Do want you want if it makes you happy, because in the end, thats what it all about.

But these days, I tend to be way more cautious with the things I do when involving myself with pyrotechnics. You only gain experience by, well....experiencing things. Can anyone prove that wrong? Nope!

Do what you do Pyro!Thanks pyromaniac just didn't want to stir anything up. I will most likley be putting it back up. I guess there's always a few in every bunch that just don't appreciate all the aspects of pyro like the rest of us do. I also love the shell and would hate for them to tone it down or be the guy responsible for it lol.

PyroManiacs
10-17-2012, 08:23 PM
Well, I dont think it would stir anything up too much... You even have Dave pretty much backing up "this situtation". And this is his website. So... I think your good if he didnt post anything negative about your vids.

"Falsely labeled fireworks make me feel cheated. These high prices cakes marked three-inch shells but really are 1.75 inch shells with a false three inch outer rapper need exposed." - Dave.

You are doing just that!

Good Day Sir! :)

Backyard Pyro
10-19-2012, 01:36 PM
Well, I dont think it would stir anything up too much... You even have Dave pretty much backing up "this situtation". And this is his website. So... I think your good if he didnt post anything negative about your vids.

"Falsely labeled fireworks make me feel cheated. These high prices cakes marked three-inch shells but really are 1.75 inch shells with a false three inch outer rapper need exposed." - Dave.

You are doing just that!

Good Day Sir! :)
I couldn't agree more

valpoboom
10-21-2012, 06:29 PM
Put the video back up. Putting something on youtube will not cause a government agency to all of a sudden to look into it. They have plenty to do and randomly check different items from different companys anyway. All your video is doing is help those who are just random consumers of fireworks for an occasion to see the truth. All of us who love this hobby and have knowledge from research and experience already know about these types of fake items for sale. So keep doing what you are to promote fireworks knowledge from 50+ year experience veterans to the novice to casual consumer.

Backyard Pyro
10-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Put the video back up. Putting something on youtube will not cause a government agency to all of a sudden to look into it. They have plenty to do and randomly check different items from different companys anyway. All your video is doing is help those who are just random consumers of fireworks for an occasion to see the truth. All of us who love this hobby and have knowledge from research and experience already know about these types of fake items for sale. So keep doing what you are to promote fireworks knowledge from 50+ year experience veterans to the novice to casual consumer.

I'll put it back up lol just have'nt got to it yet, but i'll do it now lol

displayfireworks1
10-23-2012, 09:58 PM
If the fireworks manufactures keep producing these deceptively labeled fireworks products we should expose them. The problem is the truth in labeling laws have never been enforced on the manufactures. It would be interesting to see a complaint filed with a state agency. Example, “The label says 16 thousand firecrackers and there are only 7 thousand”. “The label says three inch shells but they are really 1.75 with a false cardboard wrapper”. It could influence the way consumer fireworks are labeled throughout the United States.

PyroManiacs
10-23-2012, 10:10 PM
I agree Dave.

Hmm, False advertisement.... Better Business Bureau??

NOLApyro
11-02-2012, 12:05 AM
Did anyone else do the math here? Here is what I came up with:
12 g of lift + 36 g burst & stars = 49 g per shell x 9 shells= 432 g total.

That cake isn't even 500 g like its supposed to be. This is what I call an Underloaded cake. I'm kinda wondering how many other 500g cakes are underloaded. When I pay for 500g cakes I expect to get 500g not 432g!!! Ah well what are you gonna do?

FBOD
11-02-2012, 01:36 PM
Did anyone else do the math here? Here is what I came up with:
12 g of lift + 36 g burst & stars = 49 g per shell x 9 shells= 432 g total.

That cake isn't even 500 g like its supposed to be. This is what I call an Underloaded cake. I'm kinda wondering how many other 500g cakes are underloaded. When I pay for 500g cakes I expect to get 500g not 432g!!! Ah well what are you gonna do?

Nola no legal cake will have 500g, same as no shell will have 60g.
No one wants to order a 500g cake and when that is ships 501g they have trouble.
It's bad that the companies lie, but they all do it.