PDA

View Full Version : Help with finding insurance.

ChadEB
09-29-2012, 10:59 PM
Help with finding insurance.

So I got my type 54 a few weeks ago and I need to find insurance for my shoots. Do you buy insurance per year or per shot? I know it needs to be a 1-2.5 mill policy. How What Where When do I need to start? I'm in Michigan btw... HELP please. The type 54 looks like it was the easy part of this.

Thanks in advance for all help

copper acetoarsenite
09-30-2012, 10:19 AM
I beleive Lloyds is the most common company...not many in that business and you still can't enter I really hope one day that the demand for fireworks greatly exceeds the supply...then there will be competition on these things..,I'm sorry about your situation, quite sad...I used to dream of being a real fireworks manufacturer as a kid...when I looked it up, as far as the realities, insurance, red-tape ATF, DOT etc..I was like forget it!!! I truly understand safety regulations-such as magazine distances and the need for insurance/ workman's comp for commercial people...they should have reasonable insurance for the smaller companies and those not in business but that's a fantasy...What I can't understand is all the bullshit...I get so angry sometimes, so many potential jobs that could be are not...I guess us 'terrorist' can't be trusted...maybe you can fire in a less restrictive state, or work for company that will add your shows..I don't know the law on that though...if we spread the love of fireworks, as many many people love them we may be able to get some bargaining chips...maybe again I'm dreaming -as is said the law good sir is an ASS :-( :-(:-(

displayfireworks1
09-30-2012, 10:35 AM
My advice would be to direct insurance related questions to my current insurance advertiser. Debbie Marlino. At “Combined Specialties International.
http://www.combinedspecialties.com/

Unless someone on the forums is an insurance expert and I am not aware of it, there is more speculation and B.S when it comes to this issue.
I will send Debbie a request to comment on this issue

Northern Sky
10-01-2012, 10:35 AM
Join a club in your area and shoot with them. Some clubs can cover insurance needs for members for non commerce shoots. Check it out you will find that is the way to go. There are several clubs in your area. Check them out.

dmerlino
10-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Hello Chad, I am Debbie Merlino with Combined Specialties. We are insurance brokers to the pyro industry and have been since 1985. Insurance is written annually and not per show. Michigan requires liability limits of $1 million for 1.3 displays, however, you may find that your competition carries $5 million which means you will need the same amount of coverage when bidding against another company. We can provide coverage limits of $5 million. If you contact me, I will take you through the liability insurance and help you decide what woudl be best for your company. The insurance is not difficult; you have already been through the difficult part. Kind regards, Debbie

Help with finding insurance.

So I got my type 54 a few weeks ago and I need to find insurance for my shoots. Do you buy insurance per year or per shot? I know it needs to be a 1-2.5 mill policy. How What Where When do I need to start? I'm in Michigan btw... HELP please. The type 54 looks like it was the easy part of this.

Thanks in advance for all help

ChadEB
10-04-2012, 11:44 PM
Hey Dave Thanks for giving me Combined Specialties contact Debbie Merlino. I talked to her today and she was a great help. It's kind of expensive but what isn't in this hobby. lol... BUT if I can get a group of 20-30+ together she can get us into a group and lower the price. See new post called Small insurance group

pyrodisco
10-15-2012, 11:24 AM
Hey Chad. I'd be interested in going into the insurance if enough people came in to lower the price.

VFI_Fireworks
10-16-2012, 08:58 AM
Actually dont want to say it but bidding dont require the same amount of insurance but if you are shooting professionally for money you are required to have more than one coverage. 1m occ. /2m aggr. general liability requirement is fine but DOT requires a 1m auto liability policy to allow you to transport which also requires a CDL with endorsement and its a lock on the 5m excess umbrella policy. So after about 8G you can now make money. And so anyone else that reads this knows the BIG BOYS in the pyro industry forced these limits so they can try to be the only ones out there, just like the $5000.00 permit fee to sell 1.4 here in PA, per location. And then the insurance on top of that> Nice guys aren't they.

But if you just need insurance for personal shoots you can get it, you just have to know where to look.

pyrodisco
10-16-2012, 04:45 PM
Hi VFI_Fireworks,

Yes i'm not looking at it for business...just personal shoots. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dave