PDA

View Full Version : Question about visco fuse

jmundo31
09-17-2012, 02:09 PM
Could I fuse about 100 tealights and get them all lit with a visco fuse? I know they burn pretty slow so would that be enough to light them? Or if that wouldn't work could you use blackmatch fusing connected to the tealights and visco attaching them all? Just looking for some input :)

Pyro Nation
09-17-2012, 09:30 PM
That is a good question. Never even thought about that. Fuse to a wick, I guess if the wick is exposed and not waxed covered, and u use a slow enough fuse to make sure enough fire is on it. Very well could be plausible

jmundo31
09-17-2012, 10:25 PM
What if I prime the wicks with nitrocellulose lacquer? would that help it burn longer?

PyroMonkey
09-17-2012, 10:54 PM
I also thought of dipping the wicks in NC lacquer/BP slurry, and dredging them in fine BP meal or fuse powder... but that might create so much fire that the wicks would burn completely off. You might try the opposite approach, and making the fuse generate more of a "soft" flame instead of just sparks. I've seen some fuse that burns with a flame, perhaps due to a waterproof coating on it. You might achieve the same effect by wrapping a layer or two of masking tape lengthwise around your entire piece of visco. Just a guess... you might just have to 'speriment to find out what works!

nrubmx
09-19-2012, 09:06 PM
huh. that sounds interesting and thats a great question! im gona have to try that because you could have a cool effect for something with that

copper acetoarsenite
09-22-2012, 01:39 PM
I agree a little meal priming and nitrocellulose past should work, and perhaps 'slow visco'... since I would think the main problem would be the short exposure length of the wicks to the flame of the visco...you could alway try a few and see...one advantange maybe that since BP in the visco burns hot, ignition temperture shouldn't be a factor, perhaps even simple pretreatment of part of the wick with a concentrated KNO3 solution after drying would work...I would try it w/o priming then KNO3 treatment then BP/NC lacquer...just to see the minimum requirements for ignition ...wonder if QM would be overkill lol

very creative idea, I never thought to do that...hope it works as that would be just beautiful