PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks Hang Fire at the Farm 2012

displayfireworks1
09-12-2012, 08:48 AM
This is video of Scotts annual Fireworks on the Farm. He usually does this display every Labor Day. For those new into fireworks you will see what a “Hang Fire” is. If you watch closely, you will see me attempting to light some display shells, the fuses will just smolder and sit. After a certain amount of time passes you will see them fire. Some of the hang fires continued to smolder and never did light. At the end of the video, we will examine the ones that did not fire.
These hang fires were caused by one of two things, either the fuses were bad (exposed black match at the ends) and stored in a moist area, or the rain we were experiencing caused the fuses to not work properly. You would be surprised how little water can stop a fireworks fuse.
The danger of hang fires are you never know when they will or will not fire. You will see me lighting some display shells and experiencing one or two of the hang fires. Once you have these hang fires you have to remember where they are and make a decision about firing shells next to them or near them.
This video is currently unlisted but you can enjoy it here before public release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB4j7RCAQps

What to see water stop a fireworks fuse? In the video below at the 6:51 you can see how it happens. This video is from a few year back when they did not plastic cover quick match, you will not know why they cover the match with plastic coatings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlsGZV9__Wg

SCPyrotechnician
09-12-2012, 11:59 AM
Not sure I like that hand fire set up

valpoboom
09-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Dave, even with being entertaining you always make sure that everyone can learn something from all your videos. Pryo Professor Dave. LOL!

UniversalPyro
09-12-2012, 08:53 PM
Dave, since we didnt see a true layout before shooting, how many 4's and 5's did you shoot? just curious how big the show was.

Holmes69
09-13-2012, 07:18 AM
I had 9 3" mines with 2 cases of thunderkings in the opener, 4 cases of 1.4 cakes, 6 - 1.3 cakes, 400 1.4 shells, 2 cases of 3" shells, 1 case of 4" shells, 1 case of 5" shells, 1 case of 3" finale chains ,3 -5" color and 3 -5" salutes in the finale. I want to thank Dave and everybody that helped with the show. I think the hang fires and the fuses that went out was because of the rain that we had just when the show started.

PyroManiacs
09-13-2012, 10:38 AM
Great vid!

displayfireworks1
09-13-2012, 10:58 PM
This video is great real life event of a little rain on black match fuse can stop it. I remember years ago before they placed the plastic coating on the fuse leaders, any rain would stop the fuses or worst yet they would smolder and fire when you least expected it. This may be one time when having Visco fuse on the ends would be helpful.

displayfireworks1
09-14-2012, 08:37 PM
Here is the fireworks on the farm 2012 display video from the audience perspective. You have to remember I had a teenage boy holding the camera and it started to rain so the quality may not be the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMVXb07VDiQ

Holmes69
09-17-2012, 06:52 AM
Thanks for posting the crowd view.

copper acetoarsenite
09-22-2012, 01:53 PM
Despite the hang fires that display had some very beautiful shells nice peonies with pistils...I used to hate hangfires and they were indeed caused by fireing in wet conditions...

wonderful show great selection!!!

luv it