PDA

View Full Version : The Best Roman Candles..

PyroManiacs
09-12-2012, 01:24 AM
I have noticed after using multiple brands, that they are all so far pretty weak.
Like when the first 2 or 3 balls shoot out they only go like 5 to 7 ft in the air, then the rest go about 30ft im guessing.

There was one brand that I really did enjoy. BlackCats Gattling Pack. They were by far the best I have encountered.(IMO)

I want to know everyone else's thoughts on roman candles, and which they think are the best.

jknepp1954
09-12-2012, 05:43 AM
I am really searching out ones that actually do something - and i have found some gems over the years:
Shotgun Candles
Legends assorted candles
SUPER SIZED CANDLES:
BIGS neon candles
BIGS RWB candles
Cannon Lightning Candles

PyroJoeNEPA
09-12-2012, 09:51 AM
The first couple shots in a roman candle have almost no tube length for the star to project out from. This would be similar to comparing a stub nose revolver and a rifle. Longer barrel, greater distance [and accuracy]. The more the candle burns down, the longer the tube length becomes & the gases are then able to project the star with greater force. It's a matter of physics.

PyroManiacs
09-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Thanks Joyce. Ill have to check those ones out, Im pretty sure have not used any of those yet.

Joe, thanks also... that actually makes perfect sense.

Frankiefireworks19
09-16-2012, 07:57 PM
I really enjoy crazy aces for their random effects.

boilermaker1991
09-18-2012, 10:49 AM
The best powerful roman candles i have used are Crazy Cards 5 shot candles by great grizzly brand. I have tried these as well as gatlin pack candles, and like these more. They only come in a pack of four (each ace) but man are they worth it!

boilermaker1991
09-18-2012, 10:50 AM
Strike that it is glorius brand, great grizzly just sells it.

PyroManiacs
09-18-2012, 06:15 PM
Strike that it is glorius brand, great grizzly just sells it.

Hmm, i just checked the closest wholesalers webpage. Which is mainly glorious brand. And they dont sell those ones!?

nrubmx
09-19-2012, 09:08 PM
i agree most candles are pretty weekand im not a fan of the multi effect premium candles but i have had some good ones with cool effects although im not sure what brand

wpman321
09-20-2012, 09:35 PM
PyroManiac1981 clean your pm box out it won't let me send you some info!

PyroManiacs
09-20-2012, 09:42 PM
go ahead wpman, done

SITHADMIRAL
09-23-2012, 12:05 PM
Just picked up a case of 10 ball blue thunder by megabanger and these were pretty decent most flew about 30 feet and ended in a nice report. The 10 shot magical mini candles were also pretty good. They shot 15 feet and were pretty consistent.

Palermitano2
09-24-2012, 09:17 PM
I like Legend Assorted It has the same effects as a cake....

Backyard Pyro
09-25-2012, 12:57 AM
I've been having the same bad luck with candles I can't seem to find any that all shoot like there supposed to. It kinda sux since I built a bunch of racks for them lol

Pyro Nation
09-25-2012, 01:12 AM
My opinion Roman Candles are like Rockets.... Just not worth my time..
But ones I did try and were ok was the Gatling Gun and Thunder Rockets

copper acetoarsenite
09-30-2012, 09:37 AM
I really like getting information about consumer fireworks since in my pinko state I really know nothing about what's hot in the 1.4G world...candles are among the most frustrating devices to make...I've seen two great methods for the larger candles...but the 1.4G candles are also good to learn from as they are pretty consistent...I think I know the secret, but alas I can't expand on it and I LOVE roman candles... I don't know why so many hate fireworks a bunch of piss pots!!!:-(

torch
12-01-2012, 07:15 AM
I like aah brand "power pack" candles nice break and a pretty good bang if you can find them

Mike Extreme
12-10-2012, 01:43 PM
Hey guys I was unwrapping my Exterminator shells this year to save on some clean up and had found out that alot of the shells had Excals wrapping on them so the Exterminators and the Excals are the same shells for 2012.

displayfireworks1
12-10-2012, 11:25 PM
Did the artillery shells have two wrappers on them? What did you mean unwrapping them you discovered.

PyroManiacs
12-11-2012, 11:07 PM
Hey guys I was unwrapping my Exterminator shells this year to save on some clean up and had found out that alot of the shells had Excals wrapping on them so the Exterminators and the Excals are the same shells for 2012.

Off topic!

David_La
01-03-2013, 02:19 PM
I bought some "Voodoo" candles for New Year's Eve. I saw them at Hale's demo this fall and had to try them.
My family gave them a good grade - If they were impressed enough to mention it, the candles were worth it.

I also had a #3 wash tub with a bundle of 432 Glorious brand mixed candles (3 cases) ignited together. While I was not impressed with the individual candles, as a group it was impressive. Down side was time and materials to fuse it all together with various [short] fuse lengths. I can explain furrther if anyone is interested. Have video as well.

PyroManiacs
01-03-2013, 08:38 PM
I had went to my wholesaler the Sunday before New Years Eve to pick up my order, and had bought one pack of each kind of roman candle they carry.

The best out of them all were the Glorious 8 shot Galactic Rainbow Assortment.
I will make a video this weekend comparing them all, and I will post it in this thread.

The brands were Orion/Glorious/AFW....

NOLApyro
01-03-2013, 09:43 PM
I also had the Voodoo candles and was quite impressed with them. They really had some height and a decent report. They also go by the name Spirit Stick. I'm gonna try to find a case for the 4th and figure out a way to set off several packs at a time.

PyroJoeNEPA
01-04-2013, 11:39 AM
I'm gonna try to find a case for the 4th and figure out a way to set off several packs at a time.
If you have access to black powder--tape all the candles together with some duct tape--secure them in a bucket [if doing a lot] or with a stake. Peel back the paper on them to expose the fuses before you bundle them up. Spray the top of the bundle with 3M Spray Adhesive or a similar product & sprinkle some black powder on them. Add a piece of visco fuse & you are ready to go. Works every time.

NOLApyro
01-04-2013, 05:44 PM
Sounds like a better idea than what I had. I was thinking of making an angled roman candle rack with about a dozen unused paper mortar tubes and quick fusing each one individually your way sounds a lot quicker. Now that you mention it didn't Dave do something similar in one of his videos?

David_La
01-05-2013, 04:08 AM
3M spray and BP sounds like a no-brainer now that you say it. Wish I had your advice before I fused the last batch; I'll try it on the next one!

fireworksman74
01-08-2013, 10:55 PM
My candles of choice are voodoo candles from pyro predator and super candles from legends I believe but they must be the flash broken ones there louder and brighter