PDA

View Full Version : Mortar Tubes

EddieD
08-17-2012, 12:24 PM
I'm looking to make my first set of tubes and have located someone locally who sells HDPE DR11. They have it in 2" pipe and if I understand correctly, it says 2" pipe but actually has a 1.917" ID. This should be the correct stuff for 1.75" shells, right?

I've also decided that I will go with 12" instead of 15" lengths. What thickness should my plugs be and are they solid wood, plywood, or doesn't it matter?

Thanks. I've watched some videos on building the tubes but I don't remember seeing much about the plugs in them.

algrant1
08-17-2012, 01:13 PM
Hi Eddie,

Yes, the DR11 2" pipe is the correct size for 1.75" shells. You want to use solid wood about 1.5" thick to plug the bottom. If you use plywood, the wood might splinter over time.

I was also looking into creating my own mortar tubes but did some research.
I got a quote from a local supplier for DR11 pipe. They wanted $1.25 fer foot plus tax.
The plugs you can buy online for about $0.40-0.50 each.
Then factor in the cost of staples to secure the plug, the labor(time) to assemble, electric usage, etc.
It really didnt make sense unless you can buy the pipe cheaper and can create you own plugs.

I bought 50 - 12" DR11 Orange tubes from PyroDirect assembled and shipped for $118(with Dave's discount code)
That's about $2.36 for an assembled tube.

I also bought 48 - 12" DR11 Black tubes from AddyRacks assembled and shipped for $104
That's about $2.16 for an assembled tube.
Note: If you go to 49 tubes, the cost of shipping increases about 40-45%.

Hope this info helps,
AndyG

pyro man 205
08-17-2012, 10:41 PM
when looking for mortar tubes for racks it is best just to buy them pre plug. buying plugs by them self can be more $$ and you need a way to press the plugs in to the tubes.1.91"Consumer Mortar Tubes (most common size) this Topic has been brought in a lot in the very first post with this site. if you search past post on this you will find a lot of good info. when some one says 2" HDPE for Consumer shells you need to make shure it is for Consumer shells DR-11 is the right one for most all Consumer shells.

EddieD
08-17-2012, 11:04 PM
Thanks. I've found HDPE for $1.10 a foot and was planning on using a drill press to cut the plugs out of scrap lumber. I'm just getting 1 20ft pipe to initially try to make some and go from there.

pyro man 205
08-17-2012, 11:57 PM
ok But you will find that it will be more then then you thought just my op. now how are you going to press the plug in to the tube?? and how are you going to put the staples in?? and what gauge are the staples?

tarkus4
08-18-2012, 09:19 AM
If you are making your own plugs put a slight taper on the end of the plug with a belt sander. The plug can now be tapped into the tube with a mallet. As for staples I never use them. I use three screws spaced evenly around the tube and slightly countersunk so the head is not protruding. This makes it easier for future replacement of the plug if it should split or rot from getting wet. One other thing to remember is that all shells will not work in dr11. Some of the smaller shells should be used in dr9 or you will have low breaks. I have made over 400 tubes in this manner and have never had a problem with any of them.

EddieD
08-18-2012, 09:47 AM
Thanks Tarkus. And I understand about the DR9 vs DR11. I took pyro man's advice and located all the old threads. Basically I plan on staying with only DR11s for simplicity and if I do find there are smaller diameter shells that may be questionable in DR11, I will just avoid them.

pyro man 205
08-18-2012, 01:28 PM
yes you will find from time to time you will run in to shells that will be smaller then your stander sells. most all of your top brand Consumer shells ball/ cans will work fine in DR-11 tubes. i got over 300 tubes most are HDPE DR-11 that i got in 05 from the web and all are pre plug and not 1 of them has faild yet. i my only shoot 2 times a year but even still the plugs are still in good shape no split or rot from getting wet. as for getting wet i cover my tubes when at my shoot site with foil or a tarp to keep rain out. the tarp does get pulled off but still have foil over it all. if they do get wet i just turn them up side down. so if you stay with the DR-11 you will be fine.

cracker
08-31-2012, 03:52 AM
Dont make your own. They are so cheap, you might as well buy them from an advertiser on this forum. Plus why chance it with using the wrong wood for a plug etc?

tonyewell72778
09-04-2012, 10:14 PM
www.leesupply.com/ 0.80 a foot in PA