PDA

View Full Version : Heading to the PGI convention in Laporte.

displayfireworks1
08-13-2012, 11:39 PM
I am heading out tomorrow morning for a seven hour drive to La Porte Indiana for the Pyrotechnic Guild International convention. If anyone is there look for me to arrive on the property towards evening.
If you did not make it this year do not worry I will have my camcorder and will capture some of the fun. I will try to update when I get there. I hope to be in the vehicle at 6am on the road.

wpman321
08-14-2012, 10:56 PM
Have a safe trip and will look forward to your videos, hopefully will attend the pgi next year in Pa.

PyroManiacs
08-14-2012, 11:08 PM
Yes, cant wait for updates! I will most definitely be going to PGI 2013!

Pyro Nation
08-15-2012, 12:25 AM
I already asked for the week off from work..lol !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

displayfireworks1
08-15-2012, 02:15 AM
I am at the PGI convention in La porte. I met a few people from the forums there which is cool. People at the event are starting to recognize my voice when I talk, and they tell me they are following my videos. A few nice displays lots of fireworks for sale. Andrew from the UK easypyro.com is here with the Rhino Fire, Scott from Cobra, American Fireworks, Dennis Lynch with Lynch Imports and Kevin from pyrodirect are here also. I arrived late in the day and hope to connect with Finale Fireworks and a few others tomorrow.
I am back at the hotel and can still hear them shooting fireworks at near 1 AM. Iowa Pyrotechnic Association put on a salute display that was too cool, it was part of a three club shoot with Florida and Ohio. I have it all on video. The people from the Butler County convention bureau are at this convention gathering information for the planned PGI convention next year in Pennsylvania. They had a meeting with everyone that is from Pennsylvania.

jknepp1954
08-15-2012, 06:46 AM
Yes can't wait for Butler - 2013! Hoping it will top off LaPorte!

Vavoom
08-15-2012, 01:10 PM
I am heading out tomorrow morning for a seven hour drive to La Porte Indiana for the Pyrotechnic Guild International convention. <snip>

Have a great time!

I am at the PGI convention in La porte. I met a few people from the forums there which is cool. People at the event are starting to recognize my voice when I talk <snip>

LoL :)

Goldfish19
08-15-2012, 07:09 PM
"People at the event are starting to recognize my voice when I talk."

Hey, before you know it, Dave, you're gonna have to start carrying around a sharpie and 8x10s of yourself! ;)
It sounds like you're having a blast! (no pun intended). I'm looking forward to the video.

EddieD
08-15-2012, 08:15 PM
Awesome to hear about it. Can't wait for your videos. And to heck with "walking around" with your sharpie. You could probably have your own booth next year. :)

displayfireworks1
08-16-2012, 01:45 AM
Another day done at the PGI la porte Indiana. Got some great video of a Dragons Breath effect. Scott from Cobra Firing System did a display along with a local display company called Mad Bomber and used 73 modules. I have video of the Junior Pyrotechnic Association in action, it is always fun to see the teenagers participating in a display. I continue to run into people that tell me they now have their Type 54 fireworks license from watching my ATF DVD’s. A few have advanced into purchasing the new Cobra system and are choreographing their own displays. I am not even that far along yet. LOL .
I am not sure if was during competition or during a display but a 12 inch shell blew as soon as it came out of the mortar. The mortar was located right next to a shipping container. What until you see the video of the massive dent it put in the container. Dominator put on a display using the Starfire system that was very nice.

Kickthefog
08-16-2012, 12:22 PM
AWESOME Dave. Darn. I'm wishing I could have been there already. :)

Pat

displayfireworks1
08-16-2012, 11:28 PM
Slow day at the PGI convention today. Today we voted for a new PGI president, we will not know the results until tomorrow. Rained for most of the AM. Mostly just people shooting 1.4 items in the open shoot area. Tomorrow is the grand public display and the superstring

Pyro Nation
08-17-2012, 04:25 AM
next yearrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PyroJoeNEPA
08-17-2012, 11:35 AM
Calm down Pyroliffic! It will be here before we know it!

Palermitano2
08-17-2012, 07:30 PM
PAL2 will be making a Guest appearance......cant wait to meet you all......Its gonna B insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

displayfireworks1
08-18-2012, 02:02 AM
Final day of the PGI is over.
Today was the Mega String and the Super String. I have video of the set up and a great group of volunteers carrying it out for the crane to raise it in the air. Someone paid $600.00 for the honor to light it. The firecrackers used for the superstring were 1.3 crackers that are 1 gram of flash each. I took one apart for you to see.
Another night of great fireworks displays, Scott along with a local display company called Mad Bomber did a display that included a train wreck simulation. I met Scotts father from Cobra Firing systems, I also met one of my advertisers Eddie from Night Lites fireworks in Kentucky. I think a trip to Kentucky may be planned for next year. Ace Pyro did a display using their Star Fire firing system. The PGI gave me full field access everyday I was there. Kevin from pyrodirect was there and gave me a new pair of pyro scissors he wants me demonstrate. My newest advertiser Finale Fireworks was at the convention. I met Chris from Finale Fireworks, I have video of their software and some the business applications it can be used for. I have video of antique firecrackers that were for sale and all the cool labels if you like that sort of thing. I regret not buying a reproduction brick of Mermaid firecrackers for $25.00. I did find something I was looking for. I always wondered why they never made a roll of lady finger firecrackers similar to the current 16k firecrackers. I purchased a box of a large string of lady finger firecrackers that looks like it came right out of China. I will have to include it in a future video.
Lots of fireworks and fireworks related material for sale from racks to fuse to chemicals and firing systems. Prices on some 1.4 fireworks are hard to believe. As low as $6.00 for some 500 gram cakes. We actually should be having these PGI conventions in May instead of August.
I continue to meet many people approaching me telling me they are following my fireworks videos. Still more tell me they joined the PGI after watching my videos about the event. Only one person made a rude comment to me, that was expected. To summarize it was a positive experience. Next year the PGI convention will be in Pennsylvania. We have newly elected officers in the PGI. I plan to help the PGI with a massive recruitment of new members from this section of United States.
Tomorrow it will be time to drive 7 hours back home to Pennsylvania.

PyroManiacs
08-18-2012, 01:44 PM
Wow.....awesome!!