PDA

View Full Version : Firework rack with shell help.

Pyro
08-11-2012, 10:33 PM
Hey, I am getting about 90 dr11 tubes and 5 dr9 tubes. I was wonder if Black Box by Dominator would work with no low breaks. Also what is your favorite shell, height and color.

displayfireworks1
08-11-2012, 10:41 PM
I have a video discussing the length of pipe, my personal feeing is make them 12 inches long; you will not have any low breaks. The 12 inch length allows more of the fuse to stick out allowing easier fusing techniques.
I am making most of my 1.75 artillery shells the canister type. I am pleased with the performance of nearly all the canister shells in the consumer line. As with all consumer fireworks brands ; there is no guarantee the performance will be the same from one year to the next.

Pyro
08-11-2012, 10:48 PM
Thanks Dave.

Goldfish19
08-11-2012, 11:26 PM
"I am pleased with the performance of nearly all the canister shells in the consumer line."

You're such a politician, Dave! LOL ;)

displayfireworks1
08-12-2012, 10:25 AM
I can neither confirm nor deny whether I do or do not sound like a politician.

cracker
08-31-2012, 04:00 AM
Last year about this time, I bought 20 15inch tubes for a fan rack, and I regret it. I had to add fuse to many of my shells, and the result was bad timing on the firing. Attached is a video I made of the rack in action. Notice the weird fuse burns, and the inconsistent timing @:45 seconds. Sorry for the crappy video quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VocMWFR9ORA

PyroJoeNEPA
08-31-2012, 10:57 AM
Last year about this time, I bought 20 15inch tubes for a fan rack, and I regret it. I had to add fuse to many of my shells, and the result was bad timing on the firing. Attached is a video I made of the rack in action. Notice the weird fuse burns, and the inconsistent timing @:45 seconds. Sorry for the crappy video quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VocMWFR9ORA

You could always cut the tubes down to 12". Only have to do it once compared to dealing with fuse length issues every time you use the rack.....just my two cents!

cracker
08-31-2012, 02:48 PM
I could, and that also means finding somebody with a some sort table saw or skill saw to do it. Easier said than done. Plus who wants orange plastic saw dust all over their garage, as I have orange tubes. Better to just buy 12inch from the get go. However, I'll have to work on finding somebody who dosent mind me doing that.

EddieD
08-31-2012, 03:43 PM
Mitre saw is easy to do it with. And if you don't want to spend $129 on an electric one, box saws (manual mitre saw) aren't too expensive at a hardware store.

Backyard Pyro
09-25-2012, 01:36 AM
I can neither confirm nor deny whether I do or do not sound like a politician.

lmao nice answer!!!

Kev in Ky
09-25-2012, 07:16 AM
I had some 15'' tubes, and most of them I just cut a "slit" from the top, a couple inches down, allowing the shorter fuses to be placed through the "slit", and not compromising performance much. When I did it, I was worried over time the top of the mortar would change shape or something, but hasn't budged in two years. I only did this because I already had the 15'' tubes, but I will be buying 12'' shortly. Maybe sometime in the next few days I will get around to building an "adjustable rack", and do some sort writeup (although they can be found in numerous places already).