PDA

View Full Version : Cremora effects

Chinapapertrader
08-06-2012, 03:29 PM
Hi, I was just wondering if anybody uses any other comp for this fire ball effect other than cremora itself ? It is so damn expensive can I find in big bags ? Thanks:confused:

gsaltz
08-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Calf milk replacer works pretty well.

westcoastpyro
08-06-2012, 06:35 PM
I was told once that fine saw dust works, but I have never tried it.

wpman321
08-06-2012, 09:39 PM
I use milk lamb replacer with a fat content of about 30% comes in 7lb bags and bigger, 7lb about 20-25 bucks. I too have heard of people using sawdust but never tried it either.

Kickthefog
08-07-2012, 05:41 PM
I use the walmart brand coffee creamer with pretty good results. Somewhere on Skylighter's website (they are a sponsor here), I saw a graph of all the different things you can use for Cremora's and the expected results of each. Walmart creamer was pretty far up on the list, but was below Lamb Milk replacer. Although i don't know where to get the lamb milk replacer.

wpman321: where do you buy yours at? Nobody local that I know of has it here in Erie, PA . I'm looking for an online retailer if you or anyone knows of one.

Thanks,
Pat

edit: searched and just found it. http://blog.skylighter.com/fireworks/2008/09/cremora-fireballs.html

valpoboom
08-07-2012, 08:07 PM
I want to definitely add a few cremora pots for next years show. Anyone have tips or info from past mistakes from your first time. I will start off really small practicing with all safety precautions in mind so that for show time they will be safe and look great.

gsaltz
08-07-2012, 08:15 PM
I want to definitely add a few cremora pots for next years show. Anyone have tips or info from past mistakes from your first time. I will start off really small practicing with all safety precautions in mind so that for show time they will be safe and look great.

Start out small. Big is not necessarily better with these. Try out different powders in a dixie cup.

Biggest thing is to issolate the black powder away from the creamer. You can use tissue paper or a coffee filter works good.

The last thing is humidity. The stuff sticks together, so make them shortly before you use them.

Have fun

valpoboom
08-07-2012, 09:37 PM
Start out small. Big is not necessarily better with these. Try out different powders in a dixie cup.

Biggest thing is to issolate the black powder away from the creamer. You can use tissue paper or a coffee filter works good.

The last thing is humidity. The stuff sticks together, so make them shortly before you use them.

Have fun

Thanks for your help.

lanschr0
08-08-2012, 02:40 PM
Anything that is in a fine powder that has a particle size comparable to flour works. You want to make sure you use plenty of black powder to equally, and finely disperse the flammable material of your choice.
Here is a list of good materials to use:

-Flour
-Sawdust
-Charcoal (airfloat)
-Powdered sugar
-Liquid fuels (Examples: gasoline, kerosene, and diesel)
-Naphthalene
-Powdered metals
-Powdered plastics
-Organic solvents
-Chlorinated solvents
-Aromatic Hydrocarbons (Examples: benzene, toluene, and xylenes)
-Ketones and Aldehydes (Examples: acetone, and methyl ethyl ketone)

You can also mix different flammable materials to get different effect. Make sure you check the MSDS to see if they are compatible or not. If they aren't compatable don't even attempt mixing. Obviously some methods are cheaper than others. If you really want to get peoples attention add some color. Everyone loves a blue cremora! To get different colors you need to add a flammable liquid such as methanol. Do not attempt to mix solids with liquids or visa versa. You will just get a clumpy mass unless the solid dissolves in the liquid. If you want a solid fuel to have a colored flame use a solid coloring agent, and too color a liquid use a liquid coloring agent.

I hope this helped! :)

Dark_Salute
08-09-2012, 07:07 PM
if you go to the PGI convention.....you can usually get a 50 pound bag reallllllly cheap........its all floor sweep from the factories but it works just as good as the clean stuff

nrubmx
08-09-2012, 11:45 PM
ive seen on mythbustter they used saw dust and i used walmart brand and that works just fine

Chinapapertrader
08-11-2012, 07:40 AM
Thanks for all the help guys.