PDA

View Full Version : Are other States as horrible as NY???

MikeyFastFuse
07-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Hello folks, I'm new to the forum but have been reading posts and watching the videos for a little bit. I have also been doing some research into obtaining a nys pyrotechnics license, and from what I can tell, they've left the hobbyist out in the cold (smells like special intrest to me, but thats typical NY politics). Anyway, I'm ordering Dave's DVD's to get started. Just wondering if anyone else has the type 54 but not the State permits AND if there are legitimate ways to shoot on ones own property without the State permits??? NY specifically but im curious how everyone does it in other places and how the ATF operates with the States. HELP! I'm addicted and my girlfriend thinks i'm strange now!!!!
Thanks Mike

Pyro Nation
07-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Get the licensing done, plus the NYS O and P, plus shooter..... I know some counties for a fact dont give permits, cause I been there but thats all i will say

rcerone1979
07-11-2012, 05:37 PM
New York is not "horrible" it just requires extra steps and time. I live in upstate NY, I have aquired my ATF license and scheduled for my state test Feb. 9th. The shooters certification is offered twice a year and you just have to have 5 shows and a shooters safety course, the pgi offers multiple training courses throughout the year that qualify as your safety course. The most important thing in all this is to have an out of state contingency until after you aquire your ATF, then apply for your o and p license and get scheduled for the shooters certificate exam on Feb. 9th.(If you have 5 shows within 3 years to put towards your experience.)

MikeyFastFuse
07-11-2012, 06:33 PM
I have uncles that had theyre licenses in NY and it wasnt that involved when they got it... I feel as though I now would be at the mercy of a fireworks company for continued experience. Is this the case? Or are there other ways to maintain the experience?

gunner1
06-11-2013, 10:19 PM
New York is not "horrible" it just requires extra steps and time. I live in upstate NY, I have aquired my ATF license and scheduled for my state test Feb. 9th. The shooters certification is offered twice a year and you just have to have 5 shows and a shooters safety course, the pgi offers multiple training courses throughout the year that qualify as your safety course. The most important thing in all this is to have an out of state contingency until after you aquire your ATF, then apply for your o and p license and get scheduled for the shooters certificate exam on Feb. 9th.(If you have 5 shows within 3 years to put towards your experience.)

So how did you make out?

matandch
06-12-2013, 07:54 AM
I have uncles that had theyre licenses in NY and it wasnt that involved when they got it... I feel as though I now would be at the mercy of a fireworks company for continued experience. Is this the case? Or are there other ways to maintain the experience?

Join a club. Any class b shows you work on in a club goes toward the 5 shows for PGI cert.