PDA

View Full Version : Foil Over Mortar Racks

lilboomer42
07-11-2012, 11:37 AM
I am preparing to do my shoot and I am just wondering about this technique. Do you just tape the foil over your rack after you get it fused and ready to go? This wont interfere with the burning of the fuse or the lift of the shell will it? I have more fireworks this year than I did last year plus I am using a firing system which closes down the proximity of the fireworks so I am a little nervous about a preignition. Thanks guys.

nitro25
07-11-2012, 12:04 PM
Yes, I tape my foil down. No interferences. You should be good to go!!

Boub
07-11-2012, 12:20 PM
You can shoot right through the foil without affecting the shell whatsoever.

PyroJoeNEPA
07-11-2012, 12:36 PM
Foil can be shot through without any problems. Just makes more of a mess for clean up. Make sure you run your fuses along the sides of your racks--and not over the top of the mortars before you foil it. That has nothing to do with the foil--just a pointer so you don't blow out a fuse with a shell coming out of the gun.

PyroMonkey
07-11-2012, 06:50 PM
Whatever you do, if you set the roll of aluminum foil on top of a loaded rack, don't forget it there... you can also shoot through a whole roll of it. Talk about a mess!

lilboomer42
07-11-2012, 08:33 PM
Thanks guys I think I will live with the mess so I dont have to worry about the whole ordeal. Also, do you have to remove the paper from the 500g cakes?? I usually do but I noticed that Dave leaves some of his on. The covering on those cakes doesnt look as thick but I am just curious. My cakes are all from Wfboom if it helps you out any.

DTMpyro
07-11-2012, 10:56 PM
Thanks guys I think I will live with the mess so I dont have to worry about the whole ordeal. Also, do you have to remove the paper from the 500g cakes?? I usually do but I noticed that Dave leaves some of his on. The covering on those cakes doesnt look as thick but I am just curious. My cakes are all from Wfboom if it helps you out any.

No you don't have to remove the paper from 500g cakes. You can shoot right through that. Some people take the paper off to make clean up easier. The paper top acts as a spark guard so the cake isn't accidentally ignited before its supposed to be. I have seen 1.4 cakes that you are supposed to take the cover off. It was a certain brand of Saturn missile batteries that had a hard plastic cover. Though not advised, you could still probably shoot right through that cover!

Boub
07-12-2012, 07:50 AM
Here is a good video that demonstrates 3" shells and the power behind them. Most of the safety/certification classes do these demonstrations. The first segment clearly shows with how much velocity and power the shell exits the mortar with. 1.4 shells are substantially weaker, but would easily rip through foil and other common coverings that you might put over top of a rack to protect it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jss7MXlCz4g