PDA

View Full Version : What is your method for fusing quickmatch?

Boub
07-09-2012, 03:13 PM
I am curious to know what everyone's methods are for fusing quickmatch on shells. I had alot of problems this year, and although I suspect that the rain got the visco and 10 second fuse wet, I want to understand how others fuse, so that I can expand my knowledge base. Quickmatch to quickmatch, I didn't see a problem with, I basically cut a slit into the quickmatch and shoved the blackmatch from the other leader into the slit, taped it over and moved on. Visco and other fuse types to quickmatch: I cut the visco leader off of the quickmatch to the shell, made a slit in the leader and fished the visco up through the slit, out of the top of the leader into the next shell's leader and chained all the shells in, then covered with tape. This connection is what gave me alot of issues during my show. I noticed that when the cue was fired via ematch, one or two shells would lift and the visco just stopped burning. Again, I suspect water, but am curious to know whether or not the violent ignition of the quickmatch was enough to snuff out the fuse, or something else. I wish I had time to get to some aluminum foil, but having a sudden downpour sneak up on you results in tossing just about anything over top of the racks to keep them dry.

Pyro Nation
07-09-2012, 03:31 PM
The method u explained there is one I have used all the time with no issues. Normally I would just go quickmatch to quickmatch though. I try to avoid visco unless they are consumer shells, even then if time permits take the visco out of the shell and replace with quick fuse at .4 sec/ft

indianahx
07-09-2012, 03:38 PM
For the visco to quickmatch, be sure that you're sliding the visco into the actual blackmatch. It's easy to slip the fuse into the leader and not contact blackmatch. I think Dave has a video of this as well. Also, cut your visco at a Sharp angle to expose as much of that inner powder core as possible.

PyroMonkey
07-09-2012, 03:40 PM
I've learnt two things when using visco with quickmatch. One, don't run the fuse on top of the mortars. The visco isn't fast enough to outrun quickmatch, and a shell leaving a gun can rip the visco apart. Also had one instance of quickmatch "blowing out" visco, like you said... so if I absolutely have to use visco, I'll double it up to improve the odds of it staying lit.

Boub
07-09-2012, 03:58 PM
Now that I think of it, I did have that fuse right over top of the racks. Maybe the shell ripped through. All awesome considerations that I will be sure to think about for next time! Much appreciated!