PDA

View Full Version : Best way to fuse fireworks together??

lilboomer42
07-08-2012, 12:27 AM
I know a lot of people use the tape that Dave recommends but I usually just go with regular masking tape. Is that a pretty good way to go? I was also wondering how zip ties do because I bought some of them also.

displayfireworks1
07-08-2012, 12:49 AM
The problem with masking tape is that are a ton of varieties and brands some good some just junk. With the “Dave’s Magic Tape” aka Uhaul tape you are getting consistent tape that works great, if you do not live near a Uhaul place you can order it on line and get it shipped for free if you order at least $25.00
They are not one of my advertisers but I make a exception for the posting link because the tape and the price is that good.
105 five star review. Buy that tape now.
http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Tape/Box-Packaging-Paper-Tape-(55-yard-roll)?mid=143&id=822

pyro man 205
07-08-2012, 03:18 AM
I use 3-m blue painters tape and that works very well for me and it is cheap. i have used zip ties in the past but tape is much faster to work with. but every one does things deffrent.

nitro25
07-08-2012, 08:42 AM
Zip ties take too much time!! I will "stick" with Dave's Magic Tape!! pun intended!! LOL

Boub
07-08-2012, 08:43 AM
We used Dave's Magic Tape this year and absolutely loved it. It's so strong that it will rip your fingertips off if you use it all week long like we did! I used to use zip ties too and found two issues: 1) it takes a ton of time to tie everything in, and 2) if you zip them too tightly, you can pinch the fuse enough and it may not pass fire. One question that I have about the Dave's Magic Tape is, How well does it store from year to year? Does it get gummy or dry out over time? I'd like to know before buying 7 rolls.

indianahx
07-08-2012, 11:04 AM
This is a personal preference. There is no "best" way.

I use the 3m masking tape and mostly electrical tape. Why? Because I'm an electrician and it's readily available. I have used electrical, masking, duct tape, and foil tape all because they were on hand. I have not used uhaul's tape and probably never will simply because I'm not going out of my way to buy tape. As for zip ties being too slow? I don't believe it. I used zip ties for the first time fusing a 1.4 finale last night and I've never fused shells faster. Probably would just stick with my tape, again, because it's readily available to me.

Again, all this is purely speculative and is up to you to decide what is best. It's the same discussion as using spacers in a rack or not; or like using 12" mortars vs using 15" mortars.

Do what feels and tests best. That means actually testing out different methods. Good luck

Digitalboomer
07-08-2012, 12:25 PM
I used zip ties in my last show which also included a roman candle rack with 180 roman candles and 80 shells and I did not have a single mis-fire. Everything went off as planned.

pyro man 205
07-08-2012, 01:17 PM
Well i guess that sums it up pretty much on Best way to fuse fireworks together like i said and indianahx has said 3m masking plain or blue ,duct tape, and foil tape ,is a personal preference.just go with what you think will work for you and stick to that. for 2 rolls of uhaul's tape you can get 4 rolls of 3m masking plain or blue.

VTcakeBOSS
07-08-2012, 02:38 PM
I use the U-Haul tape I gotta store a block away and its great tape, I do however use zip ties when I have time but its a lot easier to just use tape, IVE ran into a bunch of 3m masking tape that would loose its grip after a while in the cold or extreme heat which is why I use U-Haul tape try zip tying a rack of 30 in 35° weather or 1 hour before a show starts with a threat of rain so the show needs to start ASAP! IVE BEEN IN BOTH SITUATIONS AND YELLED FOR TAPE SO I COULD FINISH THE JOB FAST! U-HAUL TAPE OVER ZIPTIES FOR ME

TNtwister
07-08-2012, 04:02 PM
I used zip ties in my last show which also included a roman candle rack with 180 roman candles and 80 shells and I did not have a single mis-fire. Everything went off as planned.

Early on I used a TON of zipties. Man, those things got expensive (for what they are anyway) I was very OCD about connections, but I eventually just went to all duct tape. BUT, if I have a stickymatch connection I use a ziptie or two. I guess in tight areas and shorter leaders, a ziptie is easier and better. I found that as I get older and my hands get more beat up (from turning wrenches), zipties are a bit of a challenge at times..especially after a couple hundred of them.....lol.

Steviet000
07-08-2012, 05:28 PM
We use either string or Dave's tape.