PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to store a mortar rack safely

Melp
07-07-2012, 05:50 PM
Our fourth celebration didnt happen because of how dry it was. I didnt feel safe liting my new racks, I spent more time fusing the mortars together than building the racks themselves. I have a cool empty basement that I could store it in, or should I just dismantle it?

Minishow
07-07-2012, 06:06 PM
I have the same situation but I would never bring a fused rack into a home, even the basment. If anything goes wrong the whole rack is going to go off. I'm storing mine in the shed to be fired at the first opertunity. If it dosn't rain soon I will dismantle.

BluegrassPyro1
07-07-2012, 06:08 PM
The racks dont need to be dismantled but I would definitely remove any fusing you did that chained shells together. This way if something happens you dont have a whole string of shells going off. I like to put any shells i have left over in tupperware containers so a random spark can't get to them. Others might have other suggestions but I like to be overly cautious with my product.

Melp
07-07-2012, 06:21 PM
Im a big fan of Daves videos and I fused everything together with Daves magic tape I found that this is really good tape and is almost impossible to get back apart. I would really like to shoot them off but I dont think it will be for some time. I think the new law also says you can only shoot them off a day before and a day after the holiday. I even video taped how I fused them all together.

pyro man 205
07-07-2012, 07:12 PM
I would go with what Bluegrass said on all of it, that is the safest way to do this.

nitro25
07-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Melp, the new law says that city or county ordinances can ever tell you that you can not shoot off fireworks on the day before, the day of and day after a federal holiday until 11.30 pm. Depending on where you live you should be able to shoot them off any time you want. If you live on a lake or in the country, you most likely don't have a noise ordinance. Find a place to shoot them either this weekend or next in a place where you are out of the city limits.

NW Fireworks Lover
07-07-2012, 09:28 PM
Shoot them and get it over with...or just take the chain you made apart and store in an airtight container, I also would not store a fused rack in my house, it's like a loaded gun.

indianahx
07-07-2012, 11:58 PM
Do NOT store those loaded racks anywhere inside your house! Do the responsible thing and unchain them. Does it suck. Yeah it does. But you're supposed to go above and beyond safety and do the right thing no matter how crappy. Safety first. Convenience last.

hokester44
07-08-2012, 10:58 AM
Also, I've heard that the adhesive on some tape will absorb into your shells fuses over long periods of time, and potentially prevent them from lighting.

I agree w/other posts, at least take the chain fuse and the tape off.