PDA

View Full Version : real story of what happened

TitaniumsalTDI
07-06-2012, 12:43 PM
ok folks, here is what has happened to me. On monday morning i had a surprise inspection from the batfe. Very good visit i may add! I showed my records as well as an invoice for my pick up on july 4th as my agent knows i hold contingency storage with kellners. She asked about my ohio exhibitors license which i said i was under the assumption i don not need one for a NOT profit private display. Well she left after i showed her my 1.4 items which she was amazed i had some wheel set ups, she told me to have a great and safe 4th. Well she called back a little while later and clarified that i do infact need an exhibitors license even for a private display, and it would be in my best interest to cancel my order with kellners. Well i complied and the order was cancelled which i received store credit. I thought all was done, as i still had consumer product i still had a nice display on tap. Well tuesday morning i had a visit from a ohio state arson investigator. And he told me his reason for a visit, and i relayed that i do not have any 1.3 product that my order was cancelled and relayed back to my agent i deal with. Well he starts in on me storing 1.4 and i said yes i have purchased it and plan on shooting it for my family, and he goes into i should arrest you right now for possession of fireworks. But he did not have a warrant. He was very rude to me! He said find somewhere else. I've been doing fireworks on my property for years now and never a problem. I said so is everyone else going to be getting a visit also (the drunks that have gonna probably get hurt while doing something stupid) He said NO! He told me he received a confidential tip that i was storing vast amounts of fireworks. Well i said you see those that is what i have, thats it. Well he and i got on the subject of how i safely handle my displays, and he said me using ematch is terroristic. I got a knot in my stomach and said how, they are in contingency storage as well and what ever doesn't get used goes right back. Well i got rid of my 1.4 product not the way i wanted to its sad to water down that stuff. I will elaborate more on the story later and the convo i had with this gentleman's boss, because i told him i did not appreciate the way i was spoke to. If i wanted to do illegal stuff i would have never went ahead and gotten my type 54 and i would not be a member of this forum, to promote the hobby of fireworks, but i have to get to work i'll write the rest this evening!

indianahx
07-06-2012, 04:24 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in Ohio if you are a resident and you purchase 1.4 don't you have to have it out of state in 24 hrs? And if you're a non resident and buy you have 48hr to take it out of state?

Pyro Nation
07-06-2012, 04:59 PM
Oh damn... Well, sorry to hear it went down like this, but just try to get everything together for next year. A lesson learned, expensive, but ya move on. Dont let them get ya down

brian_peterson
07-06-2012, 06:12 PM
Regulators are lame

Steviet000
07-06-2012, 07:16 PM
Just sounds like the guy was having a bad day and you were his victim. I say that because what you said about all the drunks and 12 year olds lighting stuff off. Just think you got the raw end of it. Yeah you have to have Ohio purchased fireworks out of the state with in 24 or 48 hours but who does in Ohio? No one. I don't store anything 1.4 or anything at all for that reason to just play it safe so I dont get targeted even thought I would be doing EVERYTHING as safe as can be. Do you think those 12 year olds and drunks stake and tape their cakes? Hell no. Yeah maybe you could have gone about it a little differently about not storing 1.4. The 1.3 licenses/permits I can understand them being pissy but the way it sounds like you were treated was crap. Kinda like you treat me like a criminal then I should just act like one then.

TNtwister
07-06-2012, 07:40 PM
So i'm assuming the ATF lady taddled on you? How did the state guy know you had 1.4? Man, that's a crappy chain of events. I'd be in a mood too.

brian_peterson
07-06-2012, 10:29 PM
Yeah I never show anyone anything that's outside their regulatory duties. Even though I am legal with my 1.4G (and everything else I do). I never even mention or show my ATF agent my 1.4G stuff. It's not part of their duties. I am very open with who I am and what I do. So, I don't fault you for being open about it though.

I know some people say you should hide the fact you have an ATF license with your co-workers, friends and neighbors. The thought is "your name will be mentioned" if something explosive is involved. I have even had co-workers "worry" about my endeavors. I simply state "I am going the legal route, you know what I am doing, you have to worry about the other guy"... I know my name will come up one day. But it's better to come up then hit the 6 PM news that Brian has been keeping secrets.

I like the "open door" policy as I have nothing to hide...

But Ohio brings out the criminal in us all! Why can't those Republicans fix things like Michigan fixed their laws?

PyroManiacs
07-07-2012, 12:15 AM
Wow, Im learning so much from this forum. This is all great information that could help out a lot of new people in the future.