PDA

View Full Version : surprise Atf visit and major problem

TitaniumsalTDI
07-02-2012, 12:42 PM
hi all Brian here. I had a surprise visit from the atf this morning to check up on things. Well the inspector asked about my state license and as you know im in Ohio. Well I basically said being my show is a mix of 1.3 and 1.4 and NOT for profit I was under the understanding that a license is not needed. Well I just received a call from her telling me she checked and I need a state license which I dont have. My 1.3 product is bought and paid for for pick up on wed morning. What should I do?

Pyro Nation
07-02-2012, 12:55 PM
Well, either try and see if you can get your money back or 2 - find a buddy in PA / Ohio who has a permit / license already for a show and take it there

VTcakeBOSS
07-02-2012, 03:03 PM
What he said!

brian_peterson
07-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Hmmmm that's interesting as I thought Dave said you did not need a shooters license in Ohio!?

displayfireworks1
07-02-2012, 08:27 PM
For some reason I do not believe that was the purpose of her visit. This may be an example of talking too much. There may be more to this story you may not want to publicly post. The purpose of her visit was not to see if you had a state certification. The ATF has no authority on state matters. If they had any authority on state matters they would have never issued the license in the first place. This call and let me check kind of thing never results in a correct answer or the kind of answer you want to hear. I can not tell you what to do, but I did tell everyone the ATF was out and about checking things. If you need a place to shoot those fireworks I have something in August near me maybe I can help you out.
Just to clarify I said you MAY not need a shooters license on a not for profit display that has yet to be challenged.
We challenged a potential denial of an ATF license in Ohio over not having a state certification and at 85 days the ATF granted the Type 54 irrespective of the Ohio State Certification. Some of this is gray area.

Steviet000
07-03-2012, 01:54 AM
I know in Sept we are doing a non profit show at a racetrack which is private property and we still have to pull permits and have a licensed lead shooter to do so.

TitaniumsalTDI
07-04-2012, 01:53 PM
Well folks the Ohio sfm stopped by yesterday morning and gave me a verbal warning not even to light a sparkler tonight,because the local authorities have been notified and if they have to come out they will arrest me. So kellners could not refund my money for my cancelled order so I have store credit,which I donated to Dave. I know he does a display for his sportsmen club and if he's willing I will also donate what I have now all 1.4 and he could have my firing system and all of my racks. Which if he chooses can kindly give to a fellow pyro lover. Fireworks have been a fun ride but there are Too many roadblocks in this hobby we choose. Hope everyone has a safe 4th.

UniversalPyro
07-05-2012, 01:35 PM
I assume that you lost your license cause your giving up everything? Store Credit, firing system and all your racks over one time not being able to shoot? You could of just followed the rules and been better off. Hope everyone who holds a ATF License learns from him and see how fast you can lose your PRIVILEGES of holding a ATF license. Well hopefully you can light off a sparkler next time. Good luck to you.

Easternpapyro
07-05-2012, 02:29 PM
my thoughts would be that before you even apply for your type 54 you would look into what other further license or permits would be required not just get the license and assume thats all you need which could not be all your fault since ive heard of alot of people being instructed to just get your type 54 and it will all be ok i believe people shouldnt be told that a type 54 is all you need because in some cases that is not true despite what people are being told prior to getting a type 54

displayfireworks1
07-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Do not assume he lost his license or draw any conclusions about the whole process of obtaining an ATF license. Everyone that holds an ATF does not need to learn any lessons from this situation. To me it looks like nothing really happened to him other than frustration and possibly calling people and asking too many questions.
This is what I see.
He still has his ATF license
He still has his fireworks, firing system racks etc.
He did not lose any privileges.
He is frustrated.
Unless we hear the entire story (which we never may) do not ASSUME anything.

indianahx
07-05-2012, 04:07 PM
Nowhere in his speech did he say he's lost his license...

Some people see "roadblocks" as a hassle and just not worth it.

In any event, don't give away your stuff. Keep it and join an Ohio group!

angelluis
07-05-2012, 04:30 PM
Sorry to here about your mishap. If you stick with it, it will get better next year. You will also be better prepared with all your permits from the Fire Marshall, municipal authorities (police) good luck.

pyromustang
07-05-2012, 04:51 PM
Sit back and wait a week or two. here in Indiana for the first time since i was 8 we could not light a sparkler. all my friends who run fireworks stores lost $$$$$$$ of dollars. every year we have a demo with racks/firing systems/all the new fireworks they have come in.This is the worst 4th of july of my life.but i still love fireworks,please wait before you give up.

nitro25
07-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Why give up? Get the proper permissions needed and shoot at a later date.

Steviet000
07-05-2012, 08:16 PM
Do not assume he lost his license or draw any conclusions about the whole process of obtaining an ATF license. Everyone that holds an ATF does not need to learn any lessons from this situation. To me it looks like nothing really happened to him other than frustration and possibly calling people and asking too many questions.
This is what I see.
He still has his ATF license
He still has his fireworks, firing system racks etc.
He did not lose any privileges.
He is frustrated.
Unless we hear the entire story (which we never may) do not ASSUME anything.

Ditto...............

shellshocker
07-05-2012, 08:45 PM
I believe there was a thread awhile ago about the Ohio laws and how difficult it is to shoot in Ohio. I am licensed in Ohio and can tell you that yes you can get a type 54 from the ATF. I can also tell you that having a 54 doesn't mean you can shoot fireworks in Ohio. What you need is a Display Operators License or you must shoot under someone with a display license. I said it before and will say it again Ohio has some very complicated laws. You can try to spin or debate this anyway you want but this is how Ohio is. A 54 only gives you the right to have display firework. The right to shoot them is left up to the states.

indianahx
07-05-2012, 08:58 PM
I believe there was a thread awhile ago about the Ohio laws and how difficult it is to shoot in Ohio. I am licensed in Ohio and can tell you that yes you can get a type 54 from the ATF. I can also tell you that having a 54 doesn't mean you can shoot fireworks in Ohio. What you need is a Display Operators License or you must shoot under someone with a display license. I said it before and will say it again Ohio has some very complicated laws. You can try to spin or debate this anyway you want but this is how Ohio is. A 54 only gives you the right to have display firework. The right to shoot them is left up to the states.

I have said this over and over again.....type 54 allows you to PURCHASE and STORE 1.3g fireworks. No more, no less.

This will still come up a million times down the road

BluegrassPyro1
07-05-2012, 10:45 PM
I think its too early to give up on something you seem passionate about. I would wait and see how things go with the state and ATF. Maybe join a club or find an experienced shooter that is near you that can help navigate you through the red tape in Ohio.

Remember you learn far more from failure and setback than success. Best of luck to you!

VFI_Fireworks
07-06-2012, 08:32 AM
I have said this over and over again.....type 54 allows you to PURCHASE and STORE 1.3g fireworks. No more, no less.

This will still come up a million times down the road

No, It is not a right to store 1.3. It is only a right to purchase, I cant believe more people dont get frustrated, because you have no legal rights to light anything other than safe n sane in most states. No permit no insurance no SHOW, that is why the big boys do what we do. Yeah there are gray areas but if you dont have a permit locally for displays your 54 will only get you in trouble unless your in a club and want to travel to shoot.

I invited many to open shoots not much of a turnout NOW THIS see ask for troubles and you will find them. If you want to shoot your stuff get in touch with me or dave I can getter done and you can light (after I see your capable) everyone makes mistakes but dont let frustration get you down.