PDA

View Full Version : Permit required on private land?

Kickthefog
06-22-2012, 01:33 PM
Hi everyone. Dumb question perhaps, but looking for clarification...

I have just applied for my type 54 after Purchasing and viewing Dave's DVD package. I'm reading all I can to educate myself as much as possible. I want to be safe and legal of course.

My friend has a lot of property outside the city limits. it is VERY large and has plenty of room for a fireworks show. Specifically, after I receive my type 54, (fingers crossed), I’d like to put on a mostly 1.4 show with a few 1.3 items in the finale.

Do I still need a permit to shoot a display at his house, on his own private property with tons of room? I am under the impression that a permit is only required to display on Public land, but is that the case? I've read contradictions pointing both ways which is why I ask.

I live in Erie, PA.

Thanks all!

Pat

Matt
06-22-2012, 01:40 PM
His property is still in a township/boro so you need a permit in PA to shoot.

Pyro Nation
06-22-2012, 03:05 PM
You still will need a permit, but if they ask for insurance and it is his property home owner insurance possibly will cover it. State Farm does for me

jknepp1954
06-23-2012, 02:47 AM
Pa law requires a permit whether it is private display or public display. See your AHJ - it is probably going to be a twp supervisor if out in the country.
If you have any other questions about the permitting process - feel free to PM me.

displayfireworks1
06-23-2012, 09:27 AM
My experience has been you only need a permit if they have a permit ordnance on the books. If they do not have a fireworks ordnance sometimes that can be used. If you have an ATF license that can help you get permits because you are then perceived as a “Licensed Shooter”. I shot many fireworks displays without a permit, sometimes the local authorities know it occurs but will not say anything as long you are doing things proper.
The best way to shoot fireworks without a permit if you have to, is to set up the display and fire it in less then 15 minutes like a professional display. As opposed to random lighting stuff over a period of hours and very late at night. That kind of activity tends to aggravate people and they call the authorities. I shot a fireworks display in my backyard every year for New Years Eve and never had a permit. The whole thing was shot in seven minutes. I found out the local police would park on a hillside and watch it every year. I knew if I ask for permit they would say no. Sometimes if you wait for everyone to say it is ok to shoot fireworks you can wait a long time. However, the ideal way is to receive the proper permission.

Kickthefog
06-23-2012, 11:38 AM
Thanks very much everyone. I appreciate the information!

Thanks for the PM offer Jknepp. I may take you up on that at some point.

I was thinking the same might be possible Dave, I'm glad you feel that although maybe not "correct' it could be doable for a fast show. In fact I lit 3 cakes last night for a little teaser in the front yard and immediately had 10+ neighbors bust out their lawn chairs and sit down, expecting more. So it's a nice bonus to have neighbors that love it as much as we do also I suppose. :)

I also think a lot more can be "gotten away with" on Holidays like the 4th and new year's, because the enforcements agencies just expect it to be going on everywhere. I recall listening to the police scanner last year on the 4th and when the dispatcher said to "go here for fireworks reported", the officer said... "Well it IS the 4th of July". I'm sure firing off even a 15 minute show on a random day that had no real significance, might have the Law there in no time at all, in which case a Permit would be absolutely, positively necessary.

Lots to learn and think about for me. Good conversation. Thanks again folks.

Pat

Pyro@Mach13
06-23-2012, 12:56 PM
My experience has been you only need a permit if they have a permit ordnance on the books. If they do not have a fireworks ordnance sometimes that can be used. If you have an ATF license that can help you get permits because you are then perceived as a “Licensed Shooter”. I shot many fireworks displays without a permit, sometimes the local authorities know it occurs but will not say anything as long you are doing things proper.
The best way to shoot fireworks without a permit if you have to, is to set up the display and fire it in less then 15 minutes like a professional display. As opposed to random lighting stuff over a period of hours and very late at night. That kind of activity tends to aggravate people and they call the authorities. I shot a fireworks display in my backyard every year for New Years Eve and never had a permit. The whole thing was shot in seven minutes. I found out the local police would park on a hillside and watch it every year. I knew if I ask for permit they would say no. Sometimes if you wait for everyone to say it is ok to shoot fireworks you can wait a long time. However, the ideal way is to receive the proper permission.

wow. for real....

pyro man 205
06-23-2012, 02:25 PM
Well in my state/ county they do allow us to shoot off fireworks on the 4th, NYE.State law for sale or discharge of fireworks. Fireworks may be sold and purchased: (1) from noon to 11 p.m. on June 28; (2) from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. on June 29 through July 4; (3) from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on July 5; and (4) from noon to 11 p.m. on December 27 through December 31. Fireworks may be used and discharged: 1) from noon to 11 p.m. on June 28; (2) from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. on June 29 through July 3; (3) from 9 a.m. to midnight on July 4; (4) from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. on July 5; and (4) from 6 p.m. on December 31 to 1 a.m. on January 1.