PDA

View Full Version : Philadelphia Fireworks Display permit...

PyroManiacs
06-21-2012, 04:32 PM
http://www.phila.gov/li/UpdDocs/Permits/2010OpPermit.pdf

Does that require myself to have $1,000,000 insurance coverage even if Im shooting for myself?

And a $300 fee. Thats nutts. lol

brian_peterson
06-21-2012, 07:02 PM
Does the insurance require you to have the City / County listed as "additional insured"? If not then you might be able to get homeowners insurance that will qualify for the insurance bit. I have heard of several people who have been able to up their homeowners insurance to get passed these type of regulations in other states (you will need to discuss Fireworks with your policy / agent as not all polices will cover it).

If not you will probably need a PGI Shooters Cert, and go to a Display Company, and have them underwrite you with their policy. Typically they will charge you $500 to $700 for that privilege (one show only). They will want you to follow NFPA 1123 distances for your shoot site. Also, they will want you to purchase all your fireworks from them for the show... But if you meet all of those requirements, a Display Company is a good way to go if you can't do it another way.

PyroManiacs
06-21-2012, 07:19 PM
It doesnt say anywhere on the permit about adding City/County as "additional".

Nor do I even know if I need to have insurance for a private shoot.

Like I said in most of my posts... Im not putting on any kinda of show for spectators. Just myself.

So Im just as confused as anyone else who knows nothing about permits and licenses. Even you talking about the PGI Shooters Cert... I didnt even know that.

This is a great community of knowledge.

brian_peterson
06-21-2012, 08:47 PM
Well, from your other posts you are shooting on Public Land right? If that's the case, and they force you to have insurance, then you will need to go down the Display Firework company route I described. You can do it. It's all possible... It's just knowing how to navigate the sea of red tape that is our Government.

brian_peterson
06-21-2012, 08:49 PM
Also, I mentioned the PGI shooters certificate because most Display Firework companies want assurance that you are a safe shooter. They always like to see the PGI shooters certificate if you are new to Fireworks or don't know you enough yet.

PyroManiacs
06-21-2012, 10:04 PM
Well, the pieces of the puzzle are slowly coming together in my head.

Now I understand that, in order for me to shoot on public land, I need:
1. Attain type 54
2. Contingency
3. Permit for shooting Locally
4. Insurance (Umbrella under a pyro company)
5. PGI Cert
6. Assurance to pyro company that I am a safe shooter (PGI Cert.)

Anything Im missing or anything out of order so far?

Pyro Nation
06-21-2012, 10:58 PM
That sums it up.

brian_peterson
06-21-2012, 11:03 PM
No, I think you got a good list... But the big one is getting the local government to allow you to do it even if you have all those pieces of paper. Not saying it's impossible... Having a friend in the fire dept might help. But this seems like a tall order for your first shoot. To get a PGI cert you need 5 shows with one being lead shoot (or co-lead shoot). That takes time to knock off. Local clubs, or Firework Display companies might be willing to help you out.

Bigger cities think they are very special. They love their regulations and red tape. They have nothing better to do but push regulations and paper. After all they are doing this stuff full time unlike smaller towns and counties. So, they have nothing better to do... So, my guess is you are going to struggle because you are not in commerce.

If you had a company, and you were in commerce that would require you to have:
Hazmat and CDL from DOT
Hazmat insurance (fairly expensive I hear)
Tons more red tape and paper pushing to do.

So, the big question is how much influence does your fire dept friend have? Also, how much experience do you have in Display Fireworks? Would this be your first show?

brian_peterson
06-21-2012, 11:05 PM
But don't give up your dream... There are two types of people in this world. Those who think about doing, and those who do. It's the people who go for it that end up getting it done. Maybe it won't be this year. Maybe not in 3 years. But don't give up!

PyroManiacs
06-21-2012, 11:35 PM
Yes it would be my first class B shoot.

And Ill just have to talk to my buddy to see how much influence he has.

PyroManiacs
06-21-2012, 11:38 PM
pyroliffic, how do I join the PPA?

Pyro Nation
06-21-2012, 11:52 PM
pm sent to you ....