PDA

View Full Version : Message to new Type 54 Fireworks Licensee

displayfireworks1
06-19-2012, 10:21 PM
I am hearing through the grapevine that the ATF is on the lookout for storage violations this time of year. If you are new to 1.3 fireworks, this message is for you. I know it is tempting to do otherwise. I want everyone to know some common tactics the ATF uses this time of year here in United States.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6Rv4gGmHIA

flynlr
06-19-2012, 10:53 PM
good info there thanks.

LuxExTenebris
06-19-2012, 11:13 PM
Thanks Dave. I didnt make it in time to get my ATF license this year but good info to know. Im not sure if you have done one or not but maybe can you do a video on magazines and their requirements. Thanks for everything!

VFI_Fireworks
06-20-2012, 12:06 AM
To add to dave's video keep in mind what your purchasing, A red flag goes up if your purchase (ex. 40 cases) make no sense for a show. Atf agents dont have a sense of humor if your breaking the law they will watch everything you do until they get you.

PyroManiacs
06-20-2012, 01:04 AM
I agree... a video of storage requirements would be great. Especially since I want to store my own in a type4 outdoor via construction site job box modified. I have the tools.

VFI_Fireworks
06-20-2012, 08:47 AM
I see dave this weekend maybe I can help him and we can do some 1-4 mags and add some insight to building and giving atf info on mags would be an awesome video I agree

PyroManiacs
06-20-2012, 12:55 PM
Cant wait!

brian_peterson
06-21-2012, 07:46 AM
Also, make sure you follow all State and Local laws. Just because you have a Type 54 does not mean you can shoot your product off whenever you want. Most likely you will need a permit from your local authorities. Some States make it even more complicated... The ATF know at least the State laws. So, if they show up, and look at your records, make sure you can prove you were legally shooting your stuff.

indianahx
06-21-2012, 01:33 PM
Also, make sure you follow all State and Local laws. Just because you have a Type 54 does not mean you can shoot your product off whenever you want. Most likely you will need a permit from your local authorities. Some States make it even more complicated... The ATF know at least the State laws. So, if they show up, and look at your records, make sure you can prove you were legally shooting your stuff.

While I do agree with everything you said......

I was told by a credible source who has been dealing with 1.3 for quite some time that the ATF more or less has no affairs in the state level. The ATF's job (if they show up) is to make sure you have documented all things 1.3 correctly and to make sure you are storing correctly.....that's it. Remember, when you sign up for that little permit there is nothing on there about the ATF governing when you shoot it, that is your responsibility to take care of. Now, would I ever say it, no, but I was directed to more or less tell the ATF its none of their business where the shooting permits are and insurance proof is. Because that's not their "realm" so to speak.

Again, this is what I was told. I have contingency. I shoot at club events so its a no-brainer for me.

All you really need to be concerned with is, like the video suggests, don't store improperly and keep a record of when you purchased and when you discharged.

PyroManiacs
06-21-2012, 02:29 PM
So you are saying that there are people who get away with firing off their shells with no authority from the municipality? Like randomly picking a day, and lets say maybe shooting off a shell or two in their yard?

Wont the ATF know when they come to do any type of inspection, or what about the DSMT?

indianahx
06-21-2012, 03:11 PM
I do not condone, nor have I done it........

But if there is any consideration that EVERY type 54 user pulls a permit like they should (if they have to), I would have to say think again.

What I was told is just as you said it....when they come to do an inspection, its only their "business" to see that you have everything documented from purchase and stored correctly. It's up to the state to collect those monies owed for pulling permits and such.

PyroManiacs
06-21-2012, 03:23 PM
Ok, I now understand.

brian_peterson
06-21-2012, 06:56 PM
I think what indianahx is implying is unless the State or Local government comes down on you, and complains to the ATF, you most likely won't get in trouble with the ATF. But it's a real good way to loose your ATF privileges forever. Because in all of the regulations I am fairly sure the ATF Type 54 Permit can only be held, and issued, to those who follow local laws. So, it's one of those things where you could get away with it. But you better be ready to live with the possible consequence of being banned for life from an ATF Permit. I don't think it's worth the risk.

PyroManiacs
06-21-2012, 07:29 PM
Who would want to lose that privilege? Definitely not me. Thats some stupid move if you ask me, and I dont even have my type 54 yet.