PDA

View Full Version : Helpful Type 54 Record Keeping Links and Questions

brian_peterson
06-19-2012, 09:47 PM
Hi everyone, I am going to be purchasing my first round of 1.3G Fireworks this weekend, with my newly minted Type 54 permit. I have a Type IV magazine. It's a good size (Large 48" Job Box), but obviously I can't go over 50 LBS pyro weight.

I found some really helpful links from the ATF about record keeping, and various other "put it in plain English" documents:

http://www.atf.gov/publications/explosives-arson/

Anyway, from my interview (and from the above articles), I understand I absolutely need to record:
"Permitee Explosives Record of Acquisition"
"Daily Summary of Magazine Transactions" (DSMT for short)

So, those totally make sense and I like the examples the above articles contain.

Should I record the estimated pyro weight on the Acquisition form and DSMT to prove to the ATF I did not go over the 50 LBS limit of my magazine?

Also, I should keep in my binder:
My Permit allowing for discharging Fireworks on July 4th from the local Village
My invoices from the Firework company I purchased fireworks from

I also felt a "Record of Magazine Inspection" made sense to put in there. Since I have to do a visual inspection every seven days. It just made sense to document it even though I don't absolutely need it in writing.

The last bit is a little bit fuzzy, but what should my annual inventory sheet look like? I know it needs to match the final numbers in my DSMT... Otherwise that might tell the ATF something funny is going on. Just like balancing a checkbook. Makes sense. But what should it look like? What fields will it need? Should it look similar to my acquisition form, or a redo of my DSMT.

One final question, when I take the Fireworks out of the magazine. Is it good enough to record it in my DSMT, or should I have an additional sheet recording where I shot it, or is my permit from my AHJ good enough?

Anyway, I was just looking for a little direction, and thoughts from the veterans here on the forum.

Thanks!

VFI_Fireworks
06-19-2012, 11:50 PM
Question #1 recording pyro weight is easily done by dividing the total weight by 4 1000# is 250# in pyro weight And they are more interested in what is in the mag and when and where it went

Question #2 Keep everything you can provide this helps to prove what and where product was transported too.

Question #3 Basic spreadsheet keep record totals for all product purchased and product on hand this is a yearly inventory so it just supplies what you had and what you have.

Question #4 I also personnal record where every item went and this is good for your records as well . I use it to review last year vs this year shows for the same community etc...

brian_peterson
06-20-2012, 07:33 AM
Thank you, that was very helpful! So, much paperwork! The ATF must be part of the government, lol!