PDA

View Full Version : Possible Ban on Consumer Firework Displays in Southwest Indiana and Western Kentucky.

LuxExTenebris
06-19-2012, 06:52 PM
I've been seeing in our local news here in Southwestern Indiana/Western Kentucky that they may ban consumers from shooting off fireworks due to our continuing drought problem. Several counties already have in place burn bans but for now are saying that fireworks are ok but they are STRONGLY encouraging people not to shoot them off and instead go to a public display. They end the statement stating that if conditions continue they may look at banning consumers from letting off fireworks all together.

Public displays are probably being exempted because many of the cities have already paid for their displays and since most of the cities sit on the Ohio River they are launched from barges sitting in the middle of the river, so less likelihood of starting a fire.

I know a couple of other shooters like myself that are a bit nervous about purchasing large quantities of fireworks and not being able to shoot them off for the foreseeable future.

crackerbomb
06-19-2012, 07:24 PM
Its northern Indiana also. I talked to the fire department this morning and they said that they are going to look at it again on Firday. As of know the county that I will be shooting in has a no burn advisory. The chief live across the road of our family farm and he told me that if its a no burn that he would bring a firetruck out so we would be able to shoot.

beakman706
06-19-2012, 10:37 PM
I live in south central Indiana and they are talking about the same thing. Possibly no fireworks if the drought continues. Being on the city fire dept. its a catch 22 for me. Hopefully we'll get some rain and be done with all this speculation

LuxExTenebris
06-19-2012, 11:09 PM
Yeah right now they are saying fireworks are still ok but to wet your lawn before lighting any. Things are worse in Kentucky where some of my family live so I will probably have to cancel that display. I live in Vanderburgh County and they are putting up a burn ban tomorrow so its not looking good down here.

Pyro Nation
06-20-2012, 12:03 AM
Wish I could send rain your way.... We have got plenty of it in PA and nice little break right now, but bunch coming next week it looks like

crackerbomb
06-20-2012, 05:14 AM
Lets hope for the best so everyone can shoot on the 4th.

Jdrobinson13
06-20-2012, 03:36 PM
If it's to dry where I normally shoot, I too will not shoot just to be safe. Let's hope for some rain in late June for all of us in the Midwest

BluegrassPyro1
06-20-2012, 05:39 PM
Yeah JD it seems we can all use it. By the way Im digging your backyard fireworks vids and Im gonna use your rack design for my 10 shot racks.

P.S. its weird posting on your own thread with a different username. Thanks organized crime for screwing with my hobby!!!

nrubmx
06-22-2012, 12:24 AM
man thats never good! i hope it rains for days for you guys!!!

crackerbomb
06-22-2012, 12:56 AM
man thats never good! i hope it rains for days for you guys!!!

I'm hoping it rains in Ohio also. Make me feal safer. I guess thats why i have 200' of garden hose and a sprinkler...lol

BluegrassPyro1
06-22-2012, 01:02 AM
Looks like no rain in the forecast for the next 10 days. Im already downsizing my show from what I had planned to do, just in case.

Pyro Nation
06-22-2012, 01:04 AM
Sorry to hear that... There showing half inch rain today for us and almost 2 inches next week... : O(

BluegrassPyro1
06-22-2012, 01:13 AM
Yeah I didnt want to. I was looking forward to doing some wholesale ordering this year but i dont want to take a chance with the drought setting off a bunch of product so Im just going to get some stuff from a local shop and have a smaller show. Cancelled my one I was going to do in Kentucky at a family farm because its worse down there and theres already been some big field fires.

BluegrassPyro1
06-24-2012, 02:44 AM
Looking more and more like we may face bans on consumer displays unless we get a hail mary rain for a day or two.

http://www.in.gov/dhs/files/burn-ban/

beakman706
06-25-2012, 07:06 PM
The number of counties has increased that have burn bans. They still haven't decided on firewroks yet. Already had 1 fire blamed on fireworks. Not looking good.

BluegrassPyro1
06-25-2012, 07:31 PM
Yeah and they are forecasting 103 degrees next week. I think I saw a chance for Isolated T-Storms on Saturday and Sunday so lets hope that comes with a torrential downpoar

beakman706
06-25-2012, 09:37 PM
I think its a 20% chance each day. 100 degrees starting Thursday thru Sunday. I think this weekend is the only shot of rain till after the 4th. 1 day of decent rain is all we need.

brian4274
06-27-2012, 09:21 AM
THey just added Warren county to the list. Although its not it this document yet.
THis should be helpful to those in KY.

http://forestry.ky.gov/wildlandfiremanagement/Documents/CURRENT%20WILDLAND%20FIRE%20REPORT.pdf

BluegrassPyro1
06-27-2012, 01:58 PM
Yeah i already canned doing any shoots in Kentucky. They've had several field fires in Western Kentucky especially in Henderson, Union and Webster County. I was going to shoot at my wifes uncles farm in Union Co. but they would kill me if I burned the corn crop. Warren Co. is Bowling Green area right??

beakman706
06-27-2012, 02:17 PM
They just issued a burn ban for my county (Floyd). I have a feeling we are going to be a little busy with fires. A small chance of rain for Saturday.

brian4274
06-27-2012, 06:54 PM
Yeah i already canned doing any shoots in Kentucky. They've had several field fires in Western Kentucky especially in Henderson, Union and Webster County. I was going to shoot at my wifes uncles farm in Union Co. but they would kill me if I burned the corn crop. Warren Co. is Bowling Green area right??

Yes is Bowling Green. The funny thing is that; as of now, they are allowed to shoot in the city limits, but not in the county itself.

crackerbomb
06-27-2012, 10:30 PM
We have cancelled our shoot for this Saturday.

Pyro Nation
06-27-2012, 11:04 PM
Noooo.. Sorry to hear that..

Still have ours on.. Though will be hot this Friday and Saturday...

Wish I could send rain that way... Sucks

crackerbomb
06-28-2012, 02:23 AM
Noooo.. Sorry to hear that..

Still have ours on.. Though will be hot this Friday and Saturday...

Wish I could send rain that way... Sucks

We are planning to shoot at my place on the 14th. If it doesn't rain I may have to wait for rain. We purchased 40 cases for 2 shows, 1 in Indiana and 1 at my place. Since Indiana is out we should have a decent show at my place with 40 cases....lol

Pyro Nation
06-28-2012, 02:27 AM
LOL... Ya think.. What is the spread on the 40 cases... 200G, 500G, Shells?

crackerbomb
06-28-2012, 02:43 AM
LOL... Ya think.. What is the spread on the 40 cases... 200G, 500G, Shells?

I don't have a clue. But it goes something like this I think.
4 cases of pro shells
1 case of exterminater shells
3 cases of m25 air burst
2 cases of neon tracer candles
maybe 8 cases of 200 gram cakes
and a bunch of 500 gram cases.
1 case of snaps for the little whipper snappers....lol

TNtwister
06-28-2012, 08:59 AM
CASE......of snaps....lol. That just sounds funny when you visualize it.

I am a little nervous about my shoots. We're 18" behind on rain. It's usually a rainforest here vin the Nashville bowl this time of year.

BluegrassPyro1
06-28-2012, 12:18 PM
Hahaha... Ohhhh Snap!

pyromustang
06-28-2012, 12:39 PM
As a person who has own and help sell fireworks at year round fireworks stores. this will kill the the sell of fireworks this year. i already have some of the two week family owned tent sellers wanting to sell there non return fireworks. you can make good money on fireworks most years but you had better have money and storage for the dry years.

TNtwister
06-28-2012, 02:25 PM
Offer them 60 cents on the dollar, and if they scoff...offer them 50 cents :p

beakman706
06-28-2012, 03:47 PM
Found out that fireworks aren't banned yet but the burn ban states that aerial devices should not be used. We should stick with ground items. Guess my 4th will delayed till we get some rain. Next 5 days 100+ degress with small chance of rain.

indianahx
06-28-2012, 04:32 PM
http://www.in.gov/dhs/files/burn-ban/

81 of 93 counties.....I cancelled my neighborhood show two weeks ago. Everyone involved agreed and didn't offer any objections. It's almost like I got an atta boy for being safety conscious over just wanting to shoot.

The biggest problem here is the grey area concerning a state law governing the discharge of CONSUMER product. The law states that even if ther is a burn ban, CONSUMER fireworks are for the most part exempt from June 29 through July 8. Local governments are trying to find ways around this but the state forgot to add language that takes into consideration burn bans during the independence day holiday.

"Despite the fact that nearly one-third of the state is under a burn ban, state law does not allow local governments to ban fireworks from June 29th to July 8th, no matter how dry it is."

It's been all over several news channels. I myself want no part of burning anything down. I can wait. I hope that this loophole doesn't make people feel like they still have the right to just shoot crap off when grass just turns to dust when you step on it.

Hopefully common sense will prevail......hopefully.

beakman706
06-28-2012, 04:42 PM
Being on the fire dept it really sucks. I work Friday, Sunday and Tuesday and i know we are going to be busy with firework related runs. Like you said hopefully people will use common sense till we get some rain but something tells me different.

indianahx
06-28-2012, 06:42 PM
Unfortunately, this "rain" we might get is not going to be anything substantial to reverse the weeks long effect we've seen. We need a good couple of steady rainy days. This stuff that might show up will just evaporate as soon as it hits the ground.

Something tells me different is right.....my neighbors across the street will 99% likely be shooting things with reckless abandon right in the street. All I.can do is sit in the yard with my two hoses and just watch

BluegrassPyro1
06-28-2012, 07:31 PM
Many of the counties in Southern Indiana are outright banning fireworks all together. Evansville/Vanderburgh Co. is still allowing them for now and the public display is still go but that is shot from a barge in the middle of the Ohio River so mot much danger of fire.

Im pretty much not shooting till we get a couple days rain as well. They are saying even though fireworks are not banned any fire no matter the size will result in citation. To me its not worth the danger. I will probably just go to the demo Pyromustang is doing on the 7th since they will be wetting down the area.

I agree Indianahx and when I was talking to a retailer yesterday he agreed. The average Joe is still buying loads of fireworks and will still shoot while serious pyros know better than to without a well organized plan and backup. It will only take a few to mess up this year before there will be calls for the legislature to enact stricter bans.

burgerfiredept
06-28-2012, 11:29 PM
Indianahx. is right as far as the grey area goes. . counties and cities have found a loophole. to the rule. if they word it as an emergency declaration. several have been issued but just wait til tomorrow. a select association of resellers attorneys are appealing the state of Indiana supreme court.

BluegrassPyro1
06-28-2012, 11:35 PM
Indianahx. is right as far as the grey area goes. . counties and cities have found a loophole. to the rule. if they word it as an emergency declaration. several have been issued but just wait til tomorrow. a select association of resellers attorneys are appealing the state of Indiana supreme court.

I figured it was bound to happen that the courts would get involved one way or another. The fact is the police can't be everywhere at all times and people will still set off fireworks on the fourth no matter how many bans are in place. Whats scary is they will set off fountains, bottle rockets and roman candles thinking those are much safer than artillery shells and cakes. I'm just glad I'm the biggest pyro on my block and so I don't have to worry about anyone else doing anything that might start a fire.

TNtwister
06-29-2012, 11:06 AM
Anyone know of where to get water extinguishers? That won't break my wallet?

TNtwister
06-29-2012, 03:06 PM
Nevermind we just got banned and cancelled. Looks like Northern Indiana is getting a good soaking right now according to the radar. Go out and dance in it!!

BluegrassPyro1
06-29-2012, 03:58 PM
Sorry to hear that man. Yeah I'm sitting in our control room watching the storms explode across Northern and Central Indiana. Unfortunately it didn't come south of Indianapolis so not much benefit for us down here. There must be some wicked lightening in this line because our stations keep taking hits and resetting the controllers.

BluegrassPyro1
06-29-2012, 05:10 PM
The mayor of Evansville, Indiana and the Vanderburgh County commission just set a 7 day ban on all fireworks effective 5pm tonight. So that will knock out almost all off the open window to legally set off fireworks in the city limits. The public display is still set to go on as scheduled.

indianahx
06-29-2012, 10:24 PM
Sorry to hear that man. Yeah I'm sitting in our control room watching the storms explode across Northern and Central Indiana. Unfortunately it didn't come south of Indianapolis so not much benefit for us down here. There must be some wicked lightening in this line because our stations keep taking hits and resetting the controllers.

What fell in Indy where I'm at was just a slap in the face. Didn't last long and the rain is probably dried up long ago.

Anyone know of where to get water extinguishers? That won't break my wallet?

you'd have to do some digging....don't think any vendors sell them here. I went to menards and bought a 3gallon garden pump/sprayer......works just as well, was cheap, and you don't need a compressor to fill air back up.

TNtwister
06-29-2012, 11:32 PM
set a 7 day ban on all fireworks effective 5pm tonight.

Hmmm...7 days eh? Interesting....if something was scheduled for July 7th that would be 9 days

BluegrassPyro1
06-30-2012, 05:39 AM
Hmmm...7 days eh? Interesting....if something was scheduled for July 7th that would be 9 days

Yeah not sure what they will do. It looks like now they are just saying the city but the county may still ban them. Not sure about the 7th and whether things will go ahead or not.

pyromustang
06-30-2012, 10:02 AM
So far july 7th is still on if we get some rain. If not than i will try to find a place were the INDIANA PYROS can get togeather and shoot later on . Oh by the way when you come to a indiana shoot TNtwister you have always been a Indiana pyro and a friend thanks man

TNtwister
06-30-2012, 11:16 AM
Looks like more storms are going to rumble through Indiana today. You guys get out there and start doing that rain dance. Farther out I think more rain is coming and this BS drought is gonna break some.

My shoot may still have a chance. A county to the North on a plateau that gets every little stray storm, has no burn or fireworks ban, and to my knowledge is still green....crossing fingers and toes.

TNtwister
07-01-2012, 08:47 PM
SOuthern Indiana is getting soaked right now as of 7:30 central time. Has it been raining all afternoon? Good Lord, it's a dust bowl down here. It's past the crunchy state here. You can see your footprints in the grass where you walked. Not bent grass, but dirt spots.

Pyro Nation
07-01-2012, 10:55 PM
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!! DANCING MY BOOTY OFF FOR YA..lol RAIN RAIN RAIN RAIN!!!

BluegrassPyro1
07-02-2012, 12:20 AM
It wasnt much of a soaking unfortunately. Didnt even get half an inch of rain so it doesnt look promising for us. Central and northern Indiana has gotten rain the last 3 days but we're not so lucky

beakman706
07-02-2012, 01:05 PM
Type in new albany indiana recycling fire. This is how we spent saturday afternoon. Of course the rumor was that fireworks had started this fire. We got about .25" of rain on sunday. Dried up as soon as it hit the ground. Cant wait to see how busy tomorrow will be.

beakman706
07-02-2012, 01:07 PM
Forgot to say go to youtube and type that in.

BluegrassPyro1
07-02-2012, 01:30 PM
I heard about that. New Albany is in my companies service territory (Vectren) and we get notified in gas control about large fires so they can shut off gas service to the site. It was pretty crazy from what I was reading yesterday.

beakman706
07-02-2012, 01:35 PM
We had serious water problems. It was 104 when the fire came in. It just pissed me off that fireworks was the rumor that started the fire. The mayor was there also so we will probably hear today if a ban on fireworks is in the future

BluegrassPyro1
07-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Im sure every fire in the next week will be blamed on fireworks. Im sure some will be related but as dry as it is anything can start a fire. Seems like a crusade in Indiana right now against fireworks. As The waterboys momma would say "fireworks are the devil!"

beakman706
07-02-2012, 01:48 PM
and this kind of event just fuels their cause

TNtwister
07-02-2012, 07:49 PM
Here, we have huge burned spots from people throwing butts out the window.

BluegrassPyro1
07-02-2012, 08:09 PM
Well the Vanderburgh County commission is scheduled to meet tonight and from all signs they are going to ban fireworks for at least 7 days which pushes the ban to July 10th. Also several professional displays have been cancelled as well for some of the surrounding cities. Evansville is still planning on putting theirs on for now. So it looks like many displays will get pushed till later in July and August and the local firework retailers are going to have major losses to their business this year.

TNtwister
07-02-2012, 11:26 PM
Well the Vanderburgh County commission is scheduled to meet tonight and from all signs they are going to ban fireworks for at least 7 days which pushes the ban to July 10th.

Update us on what they do please.

Pyro Nation
07-03-2012, 01:23 AM
So it looks like many displays will get pushed till later in July and August and the local firework retailers are going to have major losses to their business this year.

Sad to see. You may see a surcharge or higher price on items coming up then. or it could go the other way and we get cut some deals. Either way it really sucks mother nature is not being to kind right now.

blown2bits
07-03-2012, 11:25 AM
My show was cancelled long ago due to financial reasons, but my hometown fireworks are still on (yes I live in Indy in castleton but my hometown is North Vernon) got around 4 inches this past weekend! We still need a few good days of drenching rain but we will take every drop we can get.

BluegrassPyro1
07-03-2012, 05:11 PM
I was off by a day. The news story i read said they were meeting yesterday but in fact the county commission is meeting today. Based on statements being made my council members and the fact that every city and county surrounding us in Indiana and Kentucky has banned personal fireworks they are expected to follow suit with a 7 day ban until July 10th. In fact there are only four public displays that have not been cancelled and thats only because they are shot from a barge in the Ohio River.

beakman706
07-03-2012, 05:48 PM
We got word today at the firehouse that fireworks in Floyd Co. have been banned.

BluegrassPyro1
07-03-2012, 07:33 PM
They indeed passed the ban in Vanderburgh County for all personal fireworks. It will be lifted on 10 July which is passed the open time frame to shoot fireworks in Indiana according to state law. So they have basically shut down any legal opportunity to shoot fireworks in entire county for the fourth of July period.

blown2bits
07-06-2012, 12:57 PM
So the North Vernon fireworks ended up being canceled, so I headed up to columbus and when to the cereland show, wasn't the greatest but damn it I want to see fireworks on the 4th. The show wasn't bad, only problem I saw was they were shooting 4 inch shells and I believe a 5 inch every now and again, and the audience was only about 200-250 feet from the shoot site. They also didn't wind check cuz fallout was raining down on the audience from time to time. But other than that a pretty good basic show. Hope every had a great 4th!