PDA

View Full Version : My Dream

hoffie08
06-15-2012, 12:09 PM
Hey Everyone
I'm new to this forum but have been watching Daves videos for a few years now. My names Dylan and I just graduated High School...Yeah I'm only 18. I have been around fireworks for about 14 years now. I started doing shows for my family about 4 years ago and I made my first set piece 2 years ago for my brothers grad party out of sparklers and quick fuse...end up being great!

Lol enough with my backround but the real question I have is after I get out of the Marines in 5 years I want to open/start up my own professional fireworks company!! I'm going to get my AFT license when I turn 21 but I need help with all the other stuff...Like I don't know that much about the professional side of fireworks...I know a lot about the consumer side cause I worked at a fireworks store the last 3 years... So any imput of the things I will have to do will be great! I love FIREWORKS and this is what I want to do with my life is to have my own professional company!!

Thanks
Dylan

Pyro Nation
06-15-2012, 02:18 PM
LOL.... well first off I would say do not move back to NEW YORK...that will be my first piece of advice.. then I would say get in working with a company and helping them out for a bit to see more of that side

hoffie08
06-15-2012, 07:57 PM
Yeah I lived in NY for about 9 months and I can't wait to get out...I might see once I turn 21 try to work a few shows if I can.

brian_peterson
06-16-2012, 09:39 AM
If this is truly what you want to do, take classes in business. Maybe at a community college. Fireworks as a business is very difficult to make money. You will really want to understand how to run a business. To me fireworks is merely a secondary objective when you decide to make it your living. Whatever you decide to make your business you will end up making it not as fun. Taking a hobby and turning it into a living means it will no longer be your hobby.

My hobby was programming... When I got a job in Software Engineering I stopped all the tinkering I used to do when I got home. Why? Because I did it 8 hours+ in a day. So why in the world would i want to spend more time on it? That's why fireworks became my new hobby!

I am not being negative at all with your desires to go into fireworks. You should go into something you enjoy. I am just cautioning you because you will most likely loose the hobby feeling when you go into professional fireworks for your living.

It's one thing to make some extra money on the side like you are currently doing. For you to make 100% from fireworks you are going to be really busting your hump. Bidding on shows are ruthless and profit margins are thin for professional fireworks. Consumer fireworks have fat profit margins but it is very seasonal.

Well that's my two cents!

hoffie08
06-16-2012, 12:08 PM
I am going to go to school to get my degree in entrepreneurship...By all means I know I'm not going to make millions doing this. I know its going to be a challenge and an endless up hill climb but I know that going into that...I was planning on having a consumer side also because I know the profit margins are bigger on that side!

Runescape
06-16-2012, 03:14 PM
Im his business partner, and we have been discussing a couple of names..what do you guys think?

Bang So Hard Fireworks
Thats What She Said Fireworks
'MERICA! Brand Fireworks
Spray the Skies Fireworks

hoffie08
06-16-2012, 05:42 PM
LOL...Just so you guys all know im calling it Hoff's Pyrotechnics! But those names were good

brian_peterson
06-17-2012, 01:28 PM
I don't know, I am liking "That's What She Said Fireworks"

hoffie08
06-18-2012, 01:14 PM
lol I'll stick with the name I have!!! They should make a fireworks called "That's What She Said"

hoffie08
06-29-2012, 01:23 PM
WOW went to a show last night that was a welcome home show for our troops coming home from the war and the finale rocked...I have not seen that many salutes in a professional show...It was rocking!!!

Hope everyone has a safe and good 4th!!