View Full Version : Recommendations for new pyro...

Runescape
06-15-2012, 02:23 AM
So...in the past ive dabbled with fireworks, but i havent gotten into anything big...Last year i actually went out and bought some for the first time in awhile...This year im hoping to spend a bunch of dough on artillery shells and not so much on the little stuff...Any recommendations for the type of shells or cakes i should get?

Thanks

Pyro Nation
06-15-2012, 02:28 AM
There are plenty of threads with recommendations for shells and cakes

How much room do you have? What is your budget?

What you get all depends on a bunch of factors

Runescape
06-15-2012, 02:31 AM
Link me to some of the threads

not quite sure on the budget and other stuff as of yet

Pyro Nation
06-15-2012, 02:47 AM
I cleared some room in my PM box..so you can send one now

indianahx
06-15-2012, 10:03 PM
Use the search function towards the top of the screen. Sometimes you have to do a lot of research to find what you want.

Jdrobinson13
06-18-2012, 03:20 PM
Honestly, when it comes down to artillery shells, you really can't go wrong with what you buy. I know a lot of people prefer certain shells over another, such as, excaliburs, pro shells, HD shells, Hard n Heavy, Black Mamba and so on. Truthfully, they are all great shells, so don't get to caught up on which brands to choose.

If you don't have a lot of mortar racks, I would recommend just using canister shells. If you are looking for a more elaborate show, I would mix and match shells to give some differentiated effects.

Just my opinion

indianahx
06-18-2012, 05:49 PM
Honestly, when it comes down to artillery shells, you really can't go wrong with what you buy. I know a lot of people prefer certain shells over another, such as, excaliburs, pro shells, HD shells, Hard n Heavy, Black Mamba and so on. Truthfully, they are all great shells, so don't get to caught up on which brands to choose.

If you don't have a lot of mortar racks, I would recommend just using canister shells. If you are looking for a more elaborate show, I would mix and match shells to give some differentiated effects.

Just my opinion

While I agree with most of what you've said here regarding the shells.....I would also consider what you're looking to get out of your shells. If you want heavy noise with a good sharp break, then cans are for you. If you want a more symmetrical effect then you'll have to go with ball shells. You simply will not get a nice circular break with a sloppy can (unless you get some sort of magic cans). Another thing to consider is rising effects. I dont know of any cans that have rising effects (not saying there arent...) but there are a multitude of ball shells that have tails or crackle or whistle on the way up and still have a decent symmetrical break.

Hope that helps a little.

floridapyro
06-18-2012, 06:06 PM
So...in the past ive dabbled with fireworks, but i havent gotten into anything big...Last year i actually went out and bought some for the first time in awhile...This year im hoping to spend a bunch of dough on artillery shells and not so much on the little stuff...Any recommendations for the type of shells or cakes i should get?

Thanks
It depends so much on where you shop, what you expect out of a cake or shell, budget, the list goes on. Sounds like your just getting into the game so you may want cakes with multiple effects IE shows in a box. Being as this was posted on the 15th not much planning has happened. Go to your local retailer and ask to see videos and buy what catches your eye.

displayfireworks1
06-18-2012, 10:28 PM
In the consumer line of fireworks, I would recommend artillery shells in canister form. I was working on a video and realized the physical limitations of a ball shell in the 1.75 class. With canister shells, there are more possibilities that are not bound by the physical limitation of a ball that still has to fit into the 1.75 pipe. Most of the canister shells I am checking out have a nice crack to them. Canister shells feel substantial when you hold them, they load easily and drop to the bottom of the pipe nice. It’s the new competitive area in artillery shells, almost every manufacturer has a canister line out. Nearly all of them come with fiberglass mortars. Arguably, the ball shell gives more of a symmetrical break but for me I need to hear a nice crack.
If you invest in a fireworks rack and various types of fuse, you can set up finales and run your display similar to a professional fireworks display.

pyro man 205
06-19-2012, 01:24 AM
Runescape, what was your show like or what did you do last 4th. did you have any 500grm, 200grm cakes? what do you what to do or shoot off this year? how much did you spend last year?

tarkus4
06-19-2012, 08:02 AM
If you are not sure of want you want this close to the 4th I would suggest looking into a assortment that had 200 gram, 500 gram cakes and some shells. Keep track of what you like on a list for next year.

Jdrobinson13
06-20-2012, 03:48 PM
If you are not sure of want you want this close to the 4th I would suggest looking into a assortment that had 200 gram, 500 gram cakes and some shells. Keep track of what you like on a list for next year.

That's not a bad idea either.

If you know someone else that does shows in your area, maybe see if you can be their wingman or shadow them for their shoot. Learn what they like, techniques, etc.

PyroManiacs
06-20-2012, 04:40 PM
I would definitely would have to agree with Dave. Canister shells are beast. I rarely get ball shells anymore.