PDA

View Full Version : Pyro Insurance for 2012

VFI_Fireworks
05-29-2012, 06:42 PM
Hello All,

Good news in checking on some insurance questions a call to my company sparked the question brought up in another post.. Well here it is individuals show insurance. Yes I have been asked to broker or be the lead on this venture for individuals interested in show insurance,,,, 1,000,000 liability coverage will cost you 685.00 per year. You will be required to request additional insured coverages though us which will be emailed the same day. You must be located in Pa and your insurance only covers you in Pa. under this policy. It is a test run for the company why just have 1 show when you can do 10.

Contact VFI or Pm me if interested.

VFI_Fireworks
05-29-2012, 06:50 PM
Oh one other issue this is a not for profit market test. You cannot make money for doing shows this is for individual use only and there is a restriction on the amount of product proposed for the show.... 1.3 is fine but limited to 3 inch and cakes. if there would be an issue and it was found you used larger shells your policy would be void and your on the hook... if I think of other items or you have questions fire when ready.

VFI_Fireworks
05-31-2012, 12:13 AM
OK from the questions i'm recieving you must have a PGI certification to show knowledge of pyrotechnics if using 1.3 you must supply a copy of your 54. When replying please submit an email address the first step is to fill out an application, increased limits are available at a higher premium. Shows are limited to 250# of pyrotechnic material. Thats about a Thousand pounds in your truck 25% is the average when figuring composition. Some places give weights on your invoice this will be a big help. Club shooters are welcome but clubs are not this is for individuals ONLY!

VFI_Fireworks
06-03-2012, 10:22 AM
Its surprising how many people I have talked to that want pyro insurance and now that it has become available under $5000.00 only a few are interested. Is it that municiple authorities are giving permits and you think your covered, I dont know but one thing for sure if something happens your home, car or business insurance will not only drop you you will be one the hook for all the bills. And if someone gets hurt lets not even go there.

brian_peterson
06-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Hi VFI_Fireworks.... First, I think it's awesome you are trying to put something together. It's a great start... I think there are several reasons why you have not got many requests.

1) It's for Pennsylvania only... I live in Iowa
2) Your are requiring a PGI cert, not everyone has one (although all Fireworks insurance usually requires it, so I am not knocking you)
3) You are limiting to only 1.3G 3" shells. It's nice that you are giving us Pyro's more options... But it's a limitation
4) Not all AHJ require insurance, and many people have home owner insurance that will cover legal discharge of fireworks.
5) Lower than $5000 but still very pricey.

Now in Wisconsin where I shoot fireworks, most small towns are fairly lax, if you have a Type 54 and sound sane and knowledgeable... There is one case where I want to shoot in Dubuque County, IA and that's where insurance (they require a million with Dubuque County as additional insured, home owner insurance won't do that), like what you are coming up with, becomes interesting... As long as you have a PGI cert (I don't, but I want to get one soon) I have found many options from local 1.3G distributors. They all will put you under their umbrella policy for one 1.3G show (in the same price zone as your $685)... As long as you have a Type 54, PGI shooters cert, and your shoot site follows NFPA 1123 distances....

You are right that multiple shows for one price is better. However, most people I know do about two shows a year... So, it's still pricey, and the 3" shell limit is a bummer...

Anyway, I am still interested if there are options for Iowa! Also, I understand the PGI cert requirement, but for alot of people that's a Catch 22... It's hard to get a PGI cert when you need one show as a lead shooter. The only way you can muster that is if you have a AHJ that does not require insurance and a PGI shooters cert. Otherwise a hobbyist is going to be working for years for a Fireworks Company before they christen them a "lead shooter'... Even with a PGI cert firework companies won't allow you to be their lead shooter for a number of years, unless they are hard up for man-power...

Of course PGI clubs can help with the catch 22...

Anyway this has been my experience thus far!

brian_peterson
06-03-2012, 08:01 PM
One other thing... The year is half over... If I lived in Pennsylvania I would wait till next year, otherwise I am paying double! Is there a mid-year discount?

kitsune
06-03-2012, 08:19 PM
It's hard to get a PGI cert when you need one show as a lead shooter. The only way you can muster that is if you have a AHJ that does not require insurance and a PGI shooters cert.

Check the PGI's website: http://www.pgi.org/training/ (under "What am I expected to do to become certified?"). They have a co-lead provision for areas where you need to be certified in order to be a lead: "This Co-Lead provision is, allowed because in some areas, you must first be certified. in order to be Lead Shooter on a show. As Co-Lead, you must participate in ALL activities the Lead Shooter is involved in." Granted, I'm not sure how up-to-date this is... But it's still newer than the guidebook I have.

indianahx
06-04-2012, 12:50 AM
Hi VFI_Fireworks.... First, I think it's awesome you are trying to put something together. It's a great start... I think there are several reasons why you have not got many requests.

1) It's for Pennsylvania only... I live in Iowa
2) Your are requiring a PGI cert, not everyone has one (although all Fireworks insurance usually requires it, so I am not knocking you)
3) You are limiting to only 1.3G 3" shells. It's nice that you are giving us Pyro's more options... But it's a limitation
4) Not all AHJ require insurance, and many people have home owner insurance that will cover legal discharge of fireworks.
5) Lower than $5000 but still very pricey.

Now in Wisconsin where I shoot fireworks, most small towns are fairly lax, if you have a Type 54 and sound sane and knowledgeable... There is one case where I want to shoot in Dubuque County, IA and that's where insurance (they require a million with Dubuque County as additional insured, home owner insurance won't do that), like what you are coming up with, becomes interesting... As long as you have a PGI cert (I don't, but I want to get one soon) I have found many options from local 1.3G distributors. They all will put you under their umbrella policy for one 1.3G show (in the same price zone as your $685)... As long as you have a Type 54, PGI shooters cert, and your shoot site follows NFPA 1123 distances....

You are right that multiple shows for one price is better. However, most people I know do about two shows a year... So, it's still pricey, and the 3" shell limit is a bummer...

Anyway, I am still interested if there are options for Iowa! Also, I understand the PGI cert requirement, but for alot of people that's a Catch 22... It's hard to get a PGI cert when you need one show as a lead shooter. The only way you can muster that is if you have a AHJ that does not require insurance and a PGI shooters cert. Otherwise a hobbyist is going to be working for years for a Fireworks Company before they christen them a "lead shooter'... Even with a PGI cert firework companies won't allow you to be their lead shooter for a number of years, unless they are hard up for man-power...

Of course PGI clubs can help with the catch 22...

Anyway this has been my experience thus far!

While you made some very good points there, I think you misunderstood the limitations. You said only 3" shells....from what I'm reading its 1.3 cakes and shells UP TO 3". That includes 2 and 2.5 inch and don't forget the wonderful 1.75 shells (salutes).

I'm not from PA so I won't be jumping on this bandwagon regardless, but from my perspective, I wouldn't do this simply because I don't want to pay for the mistakes that someone else in the group makes.

Good luck regardless, hope it works out

VFI_Fireworks
06-04-2012, 08:36 AM
Good comments, First let me address that this insurance is an individual insurnace ther is no group rate your on your own. Just like car insurance or homeowners. Keep in mind if 10 people get this insurance and 5 have claims it may effect premiums. The reason its only available in pa is because that is the demographic for the test. If and when it opens up to all areas I will let everyone know.

As for the restrictions a hobbists dont need bigger than 3" in my oppinion and though the safety factor is about the same the fallout becomes the issue. 5 and 6 inch shells send coconut size pieces down that Im sure your all aware of hense the restriction.

I'm going to check and see if showing proof of taking the PGI course would be enough, I also know that you must follow the display company rules of 8hr training and recert every 3 years

Lastly the policy is like any other when your payment is accepted your policy becomes effective for one year, I understand we dont do much during winter but thats how insurance works...