PDA

View Full Version : cheap rack suggestion here

TitaniumsalTDI
05-20-2012, 12:16 PM
i work in a warehouse that goes through thousands of wood pallets a day and we come up on tons of different sizes that sometimes just get thrown away, so i was going through them and found a great amount of good ones that with a little modifying would accomodate 2.5 and 3 inch pipe. Just a little cost cutting measure to suggest.

burgerfiredept
05-20-2012, 08:36 PM
That sounds like a sweet idea. I work for an international agricultural(seed) company that has to have heat treated pallets to pass through customs furnace's to prevent disease spread, so I'm thinking those would work well to.

indianahx
05-21-2012, 08:12 AM
I tried to keep a few pallets from a job site once. I was going for the same conclusion....cheap wood, no cost racks. However, once i finally got my hands dirty and started cutting them down at home, I realized that there were a lot of nails in the wood and it was just going to be a hassle to get any real "length" out of any of the boards. So i just cut them up into small pieces that I might be able to just use for spacers someday. If you can manage something decent out of them, then yeah, by all means go for it! No different than going and getting cull lumber from a big box store.

Question: After re-reading the post, are your plans to just set the tubes into the pallet? or are you taking the pallets apart for their slats of wood to use for building racks??

TitaniumsalTDI
05-21-2012, 09:32 AM
actually indianahx these are good pallets i spotted them and had them set aside, they fit 3" pipe no problem, i'm gonna put spacers in them, for them to fit the 2.5 im gonna need to modify them a little. we have that problem to we get some real garbage sometimes, but then again you come across a couple good ones.