PDA

View Full Version : kellners contingency storage question

TitaniumsalTDI
04-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Can I make my purchase a big purchase at kellners and just pick up from it as needed? I was considering taking advantage of the 50% off and just making one huge purchase.

J's12talk
04-08-2012, 09:58 PM
I don't think that will fly but call Bob at Kellners and see what he has to say. You never know until you ask.

jknepp1954
04-09-2012, 05:57 AM
just remember - the 50% off is for pieces - not cases.
Contingency also means you don't have your own storage, so when you do pick up - you are telling them "I am shooting these TODAY!"
like j said - call them and find out.

displayfireworks1
04-09-2012, 09:28 AM
If you look at Kellners price structure, they are trying to guide you towards case purchases of everything. Now that you have your ATF license, this is how you should be thinking also.
His price structure is designed that a single piece is twice as much as the case price. Using an example of 4/1 cakes @$100.00 per case. If you wanted to purchase single cake from that case, it would cost you $50.00. During his demos days he waives that rule, using the previously mentioned 4/1 case, a single cake will not cost $25.00.
The purpose of this is for us to experiment with his products, you can now try a single item take it out in the field and if you like it, you can then purchase a single case or multiple cases.
Most 1.3 fireworks distributors will store products you purchase from them for use at a later date. I cannot speak for all 1.3 dealers but they usually do this free of charge. As far as bookkeeping goes, they can store a sealed case of 72 three inch shells as one unit. If you want to purchase 10 shells from that box, the distributor now has to itemize the reminder of the case as 62 units instead of one. This is why some professional companies hate storing a case of a specialty shell like Pattern Shells. They only use a few in each display then have to itemize the reminder all year.
The nice thing in the 1.4 category at Kellner will be all the prices on the showroom will be 50% off for the demo days. This is a good time to buy something, take it out, and shoot it Thursday night. Over the years I had fun watching people shoot something and it sounded great, then everyone would say “What was that?” suddenly 20 people would take off running back to the building and that entire section of the where the product was would be purchased and gone. LOL
It is always a fun time; anyone attending may purchase fireworks at 50% off a piece price. The 50% is also good on single 1.3 items. You still need ATF license for the 1.3 items.
Now that you have your ATF license, you will find you will spend more money on fireworks and looking for more occasions to use them. Which is a good thing.

TitaniumsalTDI
04-09-2012, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the replies. My question in a roundabout way is if I buy full cases I know I won't use them all so could I just take what I need and bring back any if they are left over or a cancellation?

Pyro Nation
04-09-2012, 09:24 PM
You could call and ask, but I doubt they will. Becomes a whole issue with storage and if others were to do it they would need a lot more magazines for it... Maybe something he can think about doing, charge a small fee for it, but ya also have to remember those magazines have to be checked once a week for inventory as well

coachtimmyj
04-09-2012, 10:38 PM
What does your contingency letter say? It should state you can store your product there, if it does, then I would say Bobby should honor that agreement. This is the main reason many companies will not give out contigency letters because that is exactly what they are giving away when they give you that letter. Read your letter, it should state what they will and will not store for you. You will be the one responsible for keeping the records though once you purchase it, even if it is sitting in their magazine, you must track it. They are not responsible for keeping the records on it at that point.

jknepp1954
04-10-2012, 02:30 AM
Coach - i hate to say this - but you are wrong. Whoever is giving contingency IS definitely responsible for record keeping. We got caught up on that and got reamed up one side and down the other by ATF a few years back. They did a unannounced inspection and wondered where the records were for one individual. I had to call this guy and he had to fax me his inventory list as he had a considerable amount in my one small mag I had here. He had just came up and checked his inventory a couple days before that, so all was in order - they told me at the time, he is suppose to leave a copy for MY records as well.
The majority of his stock was my product, but he also had some other vendor products in there as well.

UniversalPyro
04-10-2012, 07:53 PM
they will keep track of what you take out and when, then keep track of what you have left, Jnepp is correct in what she is saying.

coachtimmyj
04-11-2012, 07:23 AM
Coach - i hate to say this - but you are wrong. Whoever is giving contingency IS definitely responsible for record keeping. We got caught up on that and got reamed up one side and down the other by ATF a few years back. They did a unannounced inspection and wondered where the records were for one individual. I had to call this guy and he had to fax me his inventory list as he had a considerable amount in my one small mag I had here. He had just came up and checked his inventory a couple days before that, so all was in order - they told me at the time, he is suppose to leave a copy for MY records as well.
The majority of his stock was my product, but he also had some other vendor products in there as well.

I guess I was misunderstood here. Yes, whoever has the contingency must leave a copy with you, but unltimately, the person whose license the product is on is responsible for keeping the records accurate and up to date. We have given contingency to a couple of guys for our mag and the agent specifically said while we have to have a copy of the records on hand, the licensee is the one responsible for keeping those records. Sorry for the confusion in my post.

Of course, this could be a case of "one agent says....and another says..."

they will keep track of what you take out and when, then keep track of what you have left, Jnepp is correct in what she is saying.

While this may be true, I wouldn't count on it if it were me. If the agent contacts you and wants to see a copy of your records, they aren't going to accept "Kellners keeps track of it for me".

TitaniumsalTDI
04-11-2012, 08:14 AM
i am going to call today and just double check to make sure, because i would like to purchase my summers worth of fireworks while i have the extra money to.

PyroJoeNEPA
04-11-2012, 08:38 AM
i am going to call today and just double check to make sure, because i would like to purchase my summers worth of fireworks while i have the extra money to.
Did you win the lottery??? I thought you buy pyro first, then food & then pay bills with what is left over!!! LOL!

TitaniumsalTDI
04-11-2012, 09:04 AM
no no lottery winnings here, unfortunatly! Just blessed this year with finding a fantastic new job! and with that my shows get better funding haha

jknepp1954
04-11-2012, 11:51 AM
I guess I was misunderstood here. Yes, whoever has the contingency must leave a copy with you, but unltimately, the person whose license the product is on is responsible for keeping the records accurate and up to date. We have given contingency to a couple of guys for our mag and the agent specifically said while we have to have a copy of the records on hand, the licensee is the one responsible for keeping those records. Sorry for the confusion in my post.

Of course, this could be a case of "one agent says....and another says..."

While this may be true, I wouldn't count on it if it were me. If the agent contacts you and wants to see a copy of your records, they aren't going to accept "Kellners keeps track of it for me".
I am thinking that may be the case here... so check with Kellners (or whom ever your contingency is with) and also check with your ATF agent.

UniversalPyro
04-11-2012, 04:19 PM
its both you and Kellners responsibility to keep records so everything matches