PDA

View Full Version : Peanut Shells

flatlander
04-08-2012, 06:06 PM
Forum Members
Do the 3 inch peanut shells require a longer tube than a single shell. Thanks Flatlander

indianahx
04-08-2012, 06:52 PM
Yes, 24 inches I believe........I think multibreaks always require longer guns as well but I'm sure a more experienced shooter will chime in

J's12talk
04-08-2012, 08:19 PM
You can shoot them out of standard length guns.

UniversalPyro
04-08-2012, 08:23 PM
You can shoot them out of standard length guns.
We'll be shooting them at Kellners., 4's and 3's

displayfireworks1
04-08-2012, 09:07 PM
When I used these “Peanut” shells on professional displays, they went into standard three-inch pipe. The ones we used were “Break & Report”. For those unfamiliar there are two three-inch shells one on top of the other just as the consumer multi-break shells. Only with the professional shells, one is color and the other is a report. Problem is if one blows in the gun it is taking out a lot of other pipe with it. I saw one of these four inch “Break & Report” shells take out three or four rows of pipe, bend and break a Pyro-Magic rail and send a Fire One module somewhere into the river. If you using three inch break and report peanut shells be sure to push them to the bottom of the pipe. Normally a three-inch shell never seems to fall to the bottom of mortar easily. It becomes even slower to fall to the bottom when you add the extra shell on it. If a shell is more prone to failure in the peanut style is open to debate. I believe Lynch imports sells a Break & Report shell made in the traditional Italian way with multiple reports.
These muti-break shells always make me nervous since I had a few events with them. Come to think of it, in my “Is my back my fire” video that shell was a break with reports. Although that incident was our fault and not the shell.

J's12talk
04-08-2012, 10:40 PM
I get Italian style break & report shells made by a manufacturer up here in NY. I've had no problems but they do bite hard coming out of the mortars. The Chinese peanuts I would have less faith in and heaven forbid if their Mexican. LOL!

PyroJoeNEPA
04-09-2012, 09:57 AM
The thing I noticed on the demo video with the Mexican shells from Kellners is that there is almost no time lag between the break & report sections--it must be a very small timed spoolette. I've seen other peanut shells with a much longer time delay between the two sections which-in my opinion- enhances the effect. It will be interesting to actually shoot them on Thursday & see how they perform in person.

flatlander
04-09-2012, 07:35 PM
PyroJoeNEPA please let me know how they perform, I was thinking of using them. Flatlander

Pyro Nation
04-09-2012, 09:28 PM
IM sure you will here from a few of us that will be there shooting on how they perform... Probably some video from Dave and some others as well

I will try and make sure we get video of these

mici59
04-10-2012, 09:25 AM
Are you taling about the Lidu Peanut shells? If you are use them in the biggest 3 inch pipe you have. I've shot them out of small pipes where there is only a couple of inches between the top of the shell and the top of the pipe and they flower pot. So I always try and put them in a longer pipe and it seems to work. Ive never had them flower pot out of longer pipes.

I have never had them blow a rack or anything, it just seems that one of the shells flower pots and the other 2 get up in the air.....Luckily it never seems to be the salute that goes off low, that one always seems to still get in the air.

Pyro Nation
04-10-2012, 08:48 PM
What.... top of the shell is near the top of the Pipe????? Are u reusing NOAB 3" cakes for these?

mici59
04-10-2012, 10:13 PM
if the shell is 12 inches long, you have a 3 inch bung in the bottom of the pipe, thats 15". So if you only have an 18" pipe I'd say thats close to the top

Are u reusing NOAB 3" cakes for these? ................I do not know what this is that you are talking about?

PyroJoeNEPA
04-11-2012, 08:50 AM
Are u reusing NOAB 3" cakes for these? ................I do not know what this is that you are talking about?
A NOAB is a 1.4g class C "Nine On A Board" cake that basically has a class C shell fitted in a larger -3"-casing [to make it look bigger] --still must conform to the 60gram composition rule. After these are shot the spent cakes can be recycled & used to shoot 3"mines or comets from them. The tubes are too short to safely fire a 3" shell--rules are the tube length must be at least 6 times the diamater of the shell--so 18" for a 3", 24" for a 4", etc.

mici59
04-11-2012, 10:14 AM
So if you do ,my calculaions correctly a 3" peanut shell will sit about 3" from the top of the pipe in an 18" pipe. Which i would not recommend using because probably 8 out of 10 times i see the shell flowerpot.

Because they were brought up Ill throw in my two sense about those 3 inch cakes. Im not a big fan. They are a pain in the neck to either stake in or secure so they dont tip over, and for 9 shots, whats the big deal. Its just as easy to flight shells and send them up rather then securing a cake that last 15 seconds.

PyroJoeNEPA
04-11-2012, 02:57 PM
A 3" peanut shell is two 3" hemi's connected together with a spoolette--[time fuse] so the shell is actually 6" long plus the size of the lift cup--that should only be 2" to 3" max. That makes the shell 8"-9" long. Should be plenty of room in an 18" gun.
You mentioned earlier " it just seems that one of the shells flower pots and the other 2 get up in the air...." if I am reading this correctly that is three breaks--not two. Where is the third break coming from? Are you referring to the Lidu 9031D Triple Break shell? Typically a peanut shell is just the two sections. That is what we will be shooting at Kellners next week.

mici59
04-11-2012, 03:29 PM
yes I am referring to the Lidu 3 Break shells, usually have 2 color and a report in them

I Have never had a problem with the Lidu 2 break shells, a color and usually some report (whistles, salutes, etc...)