PDA

View Full Version : hazmat license

PennPyro70
04-05-2012, 09:46 PM
ok i have a question for those involved with a shooting company. im gonna start shooting with a company here soon and i know i dont need it rite this second but i was wondering wat all is involve with getting ur hazmat endorsment and do u have to get ur cdl to get it and or wat catergory cdl do u need once u are a lead shooter or what not?

J's12talk
04-05-2012, 10:07 PM
All I needed was a cdl class c license with a hazmat endorsment. The dmv will have the book to study from. Take the core cdl test and the hazmat test. They will also require a physical done by a state approved medical examiner. No road test was required. This was in NY it may very by state.

displayfireworks1
04-05-2012, 10:17 PM
I am glad you mentioned the subject of a Hazard Materials driver’s license. I am in the process of renewing mine here in Pennsylvania and it is a pain in the ass for sure. For those that are not aware you only need this class of license if you are going to haul fireworks in commerce. If you are hauling fireworks for your own personal use, you do not need this license. If you take the time to obtain the license you will make yourself more valuable to a fireworks company if you are trying to gain experience in the professional fireworks field.
Each state in United States may handle this a little differently I really do not know. I obtained my Hazard endorsement years ago. Here in Pennsylvania and this may be true in other states you can take the practical part of the CDL test in your regular automobile. Why you may ask, Budget, U haul and other truck rental companies classified those trucks you see all the time to a classification so anyone with a regular drivers license can rent them without special licensure. I have a Class C commercial driver’s license with a hazardous material endorsement. This allows me to drive almost any firework struck with the exception of air brakes.
You can do it also. Go to your closest drivers licensing center and obtain a free book on hazardous material. What else you will need is your birth certificate, to be fingerprinted at the Pennsylvania State Police and you will need a medical physical. Here in Pennsylvania starting in January 2012 you need a medical physical before you get the license. The driver’s license is good for 4 years and the physical is good for two years. The physical will need done yearly if you have a medical problem such as hypertension (high blood pressure) or diabetes.
Some fireworks companies will help you pay for the physical but most try to avoid paying for anything. If you obtain the license and drive the truck they will pay you for a standard rate for each mile, you are hauling the fireworks, the rate drops when you come back empty. I will talk about more after we get some input from others.

J's12talk
04-05-2012, 10:31 PM
Fingerprinting done digitally by the state police was needed as well in NY. The physical is good for 2 years here.

burgerfiredept
04-05-2012, 10:36 PM
This is something that I need and hope Indiana is not too harsh on. I have been a Hazmat Technician through my local Fire Department for years. Too bad its not something you could get a waiver on. If anyone knows much about Indiana's laws let me know. I don't really see the need for a CDL myself. Aren't CDL classes pretty expensive, especially if you dont have a rig? Maybe Indiana offers it with a chauffers license which does not require a driving test. I do not know, if anyone out there knows let me know.

coachtimmyj
04-06-2012, 06:02 AM
One thing to keep in mind is which rental company is being used by the fireworks company you are looking to work for. Most Ryder trucks in the 24' range (most popular size for fireworks companies) are now being equipped with air brakes meaning you will need a CDL enabling you to drive a vehicle with air brakes. I know the first question someone will ask is "how can a regular Joe with a regular license rent a Ryder truck with air brakes?", they are not in commerce, you are. Also, I heard the whole hobbyist not needing to be placarded will be out the window within the next couple of years so stay tuned for that one. The argument is not in commerce/out of commerce, but an emergency vehicle coming upon a scene and having to work an accident where there may possibly be a dozen 5" salutes in the trunk and not knowing about it (think jaws of life popping through the steel with flash in the trunk). Not sure how they are going to handle it as far as permitting and all, but believe me, it's coming.

Personally, I think it's a great idea to get your CDL and hazmat if you plan to work for a company, makes you much more valuable even if you aren't permitted for air brakes. Just be sure to let your employer know if you can operate air brakes or not so they can make their rental decisions based on that info.

Aren't CDL classes pretty expensive, especially if you dont have a rig?

Yes, they are expensive, but you don't have to go all the way up to a rig, you can simply go to your local Ryder dealer and rent a 24' with air brakes to take your test in. Much cheaper than the classes, just be sure to study your guide.

oldfart
04-07-2012, 10:44 PM
A few years ago my wife wanted to get her CDL-A. She had one years ago and let it expire. I called Ryder to rent a truck for her to take her test. Told him what I wanted it for. He said they don't rent trucks for you to take a state test in. I asked him why...."We have too many problems with our trucks not passing the inspection and people wanting their money back" Don't think I would have admitted that

Dick

TitaniumsalTDI
04-11-2012, 08:17 AM
when i had my cdl here in ohio the last time i went to renew it to keep the hazmat endorsement i had to go to the tsa in columbus for the prints they were the only ones who would do it, any other leo they said was unacceptable. kind of strange if you ask me.

coachtimmyj
04-11-2012, 12:45 PM
when i had my cdl here in ohio the last time i went to renew it to keep the hazmat endorsement i had to go to the tsa in columbus for the prints they were the only ones who would do it, any other leo they said was unacceptable. kind of strange if you ask me.

This is getting more and more prevalent everywhere with each agency in the industry requiring a difference set of prints using their particular cards. I had to do 5 different sets of prints this year and every one of them had their own special card or place to have them done. I would think a quick call to the FBI would suffice to check me out by now lol.