PDA

View Full Version : Lance displays? Quality vs price

burgerfiredept
03-31-2012, 08:27 AM
Does anyone have a brand preference on lances? I am going to need to purchase a lot for a festival display and would like some feedback.

indianahx
03-31-2012, 09:14 AM
Welcome to the forums

displayfireworks1
03-31-2012, 09:29 AM
If you live in Indiana and do not have your license to purchase 1.3 you should consider getting it. I will assume you do not have your license because of the nature of the question. You may or may not need a 1.3 license to purchase lance pieces that has always been a subject of debate. When you purchase lance work ask how long they burn and how many are in a box. One of my advertisers Lynch Imports is in Indiana give him a call. Get his number and website off of my sponsors page. If you want to get your 1.3 license we can help you with that to.
Now that I check my records I see that you did purchase my video and hopefully you are working towards that goal.

burgerfiredept
03-31-2012, 03:22 PM
If you live in Indiana and do not have your license to purchase 1.3 you should consider getting it. I will assume you do not have your license because of the nature of the question. You may or may not need a 1.3 license to purchase lance pieces that has always been a subject of debate. When you purchase lance work ask how long they burn and how many are in a box. One of my advertisers Lynch Imports is in Indiana give him a call. Get his number and website off of my sponsors page. If you want to get your 1.3 license we can help you with that to.
Now that I check my records I see that you did purchase my video and hopefully you are working towards that goal.

Yes Dave I greatly appreciate all the help from your videos. My wife is going nuts but I am loving every minute of it. I plan on sending the forms off Monday since I just got approval to use Wayne's world fireworks magazine in Bowling Green, In.

displayfireworks1
03-31-2012, 04:24 PM
I mailed the DVD/application package out to you 5 days ago and it sounds like you are moving along nicely. I am impressed; I also predict you will soon be telling us you have your license. I know Waynes World is not one of my advertisers, at least not yet. However, you should be purchasing at least some of your fireworks from them because they are helping you with the documentation you need to get your license. Granted once you get the license you can then go anywhere you wish in United States and its territories to purchase 1.3 fireworks. However, it always nice to make some of your purchases with the distributor that helped you. They need to see this purchase feedback so they keep passing out the documentation in the future to help other people trying to obtain their license.
To someone reading this mans story and does not have their license to purchase 1.3 fireworks let him be an inspiration to you. The Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosives wants you as a hobbyist to get your license. If you need my help I sell a video application process that walks you through the procedure.
http://www.pyrotalk.com/shopping.php
Please read the following I have posted here from their newsletter December 2011
Hobby Pyrotechnics in a Regulated Environment
When the Federal explosives laws and regulations were first promulgated in 1971, an individual could purchase explosive materials in their State of residence without a Federal explosives license or permit, and a purchaser could receive fireworks and other explosives from a distributor by filling out a form. However, the increased use of explosive materials in criminal and terrorist activities led to changes in the Federal explosives law and regulations.
Protecting the public from hazards arising from the misuse or accidental initiation of explosive materials is an integral part of ATF’s mission. We require strict adherence the regulations to ensure the safety, security, and accountability of explosive materials and to aid in criminal investigations. But ATF is also committed to minimizing the burden to commercial and hobby operations, provided appropriate safety and security levels are maintained.
While the volume of explosives used by pyrotechnics hobbyists is relatively low compared to that used by the commercial industry, the materials used in even small fireworks operations can be very dangerous if they fall into the wrong hands. Security is every bit as important for fireworks as it is for other explosives. Further, the manufacture of flash powder, fireworks shells, and other explosive devices are tasks for skilled and experienced operators.
There is no question of the need for proper train¬ing and procedures for individuals in pyrotechnics operations. ATF recognizes that most hobbyists accept these responsibilities and qualification requirements proudly. We also believe that along with this status comes the responsibility to step into a more prominent role as explosives industry members with respect to public safety and regulations. Many pyrotechnics hobbyists do not see themselves as fully-fledged members of the regulated industry. ATF urges hobby¬ists to consider their activities from this perspective.
[BATF believes that a Federal explosives permit is often appropriate for even hobby operators with limited operations. A permit costs $100 for 3 years ($50 for renewals) and allows a person to purchase and transport fireworks and component materials. (Commercial transport requires compliance with U.S. Department of Transportation requirements, regard¬less of ATF permit status.)
Storage requirements for permittees are the same as for non-permitted individuals. Although everyone has long been required to properly store their explosive materials, the Safe Explosives Act requires that ATF inspect each permittee’s storage. ATF investigators are professional and courteous, and will make every effort to assist you with your questions and any issues that arise with your operations. Some hobbyists may need to upgrade or replace magazines. ATF recog¬nizes that hobbyists may operate on a strict budget and will consider variance requests for alternate magazine construction if the proposed construction affords security and protection that are substantially equivalent to those prescribed by Federal explosives law and regulations. Recordkeeping requirements for permittees are relative¬ly simple. The commercial invoice that a permittee receives with their materials may suffice as an acquisi¬tion record, provided it contains all of the information required by the regulations.
We believe that many hobby pyrotechnicians would be well-served by obtaining an ATF permit. Even if you opt not to obtain an ATF permit, we ask that you review your explosives storage magazine to ensure that it meets the regulatory standards under 27 CFR, Part 555. Finally, we invite you to visit our website at www.atf.gov or contact a local ATF representative for further information. Variance request requirements may be found at http://www.atf.gov/explosives/how-to/request-variance-exemption-or-determination.html.

coachtimmyj
04-02-2012, 10:54 PM
I know Waynes World is not one of my advertisers, at least not yet. However, you should be purchasing at least some of your fireworks from them because they are helping you with the documentation you need to get your license. Granted once you get the license you can then go anywhere you wish in United States and its territories to purchase 1.3 fireworks. However, it always nice to make some of your purchases with the distributor that helped you. They need to see this purchase feedback so they keep passing out the documentation in the future to help other people trying to obtain their license.

Dave, while I respect your opinions on matters, I really wish you would quit giving out this kind of advice to newbies who may not have their own storage. For one thing, yes, a licensee can purchase from whomever they choose, you are 100% correct, BUT please be sure to remind everyone you give this advice to, to make sure they secure contingency storage from EVERY vendor they wish to deal with AND have some kind of plan to return any un-used/dud/damaged/etc product to the DAY of purchase to whatever vendor they purchased from. I have yet to meet a vendor who will agree to allow you to store other vendor's product in their magazines should the need arise. I have contingency with 6 different companies (as well as personal magazine) and each and every one of them states right on it "product purchased from..." You make it sound like guys should just buy from whoever they like, but the bottom line is, to follow the law and do things legally, we have to cover all our bases. The last thing we need is another guy busted because he was illegally storing 1.3 because he couldn't do anything with it after he purchased it, or he purchased it prior to the 4th and was keeping it in his closet since he didn't have anywhere else to put it.

Again, no disrespect meant, I know you do not mean for anyone to do anything illegally. You have always tried to follow the law from what I can tell, I just think you should make sure you are giving out the best possible information to all of these guys who look up to you so much. You are in a position to do very good things for the hobby, but by not providing all the information, you could potentially be helping lead someone to an unintentional, but illegal act.

To everyone else, please don't think I'm downing anyone's efforts to get their license, purchase from whomever you like, or anything else. We just all need to be mindful any mistake we make as individuals greatly affects everyone else in the hobby.

Edit: By the way, Lynch does make some VERY nice set pieces and have very nice quality lance.

burgerfiredept
05-20-2012, 08:30 PM
I just purchased all my lances yesterday. 3 boxes of red, white and blue so 432 total lances. I also purchased 180 feet of some pretty nice sticky match. Can't wait to start building the set pieces. I'll upload pics as I go.

VFI_Fireworks
05-24-2012, 09:09 AM
I kinda agree with coach timmy, people will buy where they want and should not expect another supplier to store others products, Though I personally think that staying loyal to one as much as you can can go along way. My opinion.

burgerfiredept
05-24-2012, 09:37 AM
I kinda agree with coach timmy, people will buy where they want and should not expect another supplier to store others products, Though I personally think that staying loyal to one as much as you can can go along way. My opinion.

I totally agree, like in my above post, all my recent purchases have been through the company that helped me with contingency storage to be able to get my license. It kind of sucks that I am very limited as to where I can buy in my location. I honestly think that where I buy now is about the only location available within the 2 hr or 100 mile journey that seems to be the standard.