PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from the bottom of the world

Purangi
03-25-2012, 01:02 AM
Hey all. Just wanted to say thanks for the warm welcome. And thanks Dave for your videos and setting up this site.

Just thought I would share with you the state of Fireworks here in New Zealand.
Retail fireworks can only be sold to the public between 2 November and 5 November. Four days in the year. They make up for this however by letting you set them off at any time during the year. You also have to be over 18 years old to buy them.
The types of retail fireworks we can buy here are heavily regulated. Basically they are restricted to Cakes, Candles, Fountains, Ground Blooms/Spinners, single shot mortars and Sparklers. They may ban Sparklers because of all the how to make bombs clips on YouTube, there is already a restriction on how many you can buy at once.
The tubes for retail fireworks can only be 22mm ID and the maximum weight of the composition inside them is 40g with no more than 5% of that weight being flash the maximum sound level is 90 dB and height limit for these fireworks is 60m

So Yeah, FIREWORKS in NEW ZEALAND TOTALLY SUCK.

Unless you want to spend around $2,000 then you can get an Approved Fireworks Handler Licence and that’s when the fun starts, you get access to Rockets, Firecrackers, Mines, Shells and more importantly Fuse and you can buy these plus retail fireworks any time of the year. You will also need a CSL - Controlled Substances Licence in order to transport, store and Manufacture explosives.

Which brings us to the making of fireworks? In this country, fireworks are classed as explosives and making explosives can get you branded a Terrorist, locked up and the key thrown away.
Luckily our police here are pretty good and we don't really have anyone actively looking for those of us who chose to make our own fireworks In the explosives regulations there is a clause that states a Qualified Person can manufacture a limited amount of explosives for experimental purposes so I try to stay within the guide lines set for retail fireworks not very exciting I know but I reckon if I get busted better for it to be for a
40g explosive rather than a 4kg one The secret is stay below the Radar and don’t draw to much attention to yourself.

Below are links for NZ Fireworks related regulations.
http://www.epa.govt.nz/Publications/Approved-Handle-%20Assessment-pyrotechnics-form.pdf

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/2001/0116/latest/DLM35395.html

http://archive.ermanz.govt.nz/resources/publications/pdfs/CSL%20Project%20-%20Guide%20for%20Applicants%20Explosives.pdf.

Enough from me for now. I hope my fellow Kiwi’s will get a bit more active here in the forums I have had a hard time finding materials and now that my supply of Parlon and red gum has dried up it is going to get harder to do what I love "Paint the Sky. Let’s help each other out. For instance did you know that Mahoe (Whiteywood) make excellent charcoal for Bp.

indianahx
03-25-2012, 02:02 AM
Welcome to the forums....its funny when fireworks are classified as explosives when they actually don't explode, they combust......

coachtimmyj
03-25-2012, 06:44 AM
Welcome Purangi, always nice to hear about others experiences in their home countries. Sounds like you guys need to form a "club" where you all get together, find some place to store your fireworks, pull your cash together to get the CSL, insurance, and whatever else required to legally pursue your hobby, and have at it whenever you want :) I know it's a lot of work, but at least in my experience, nothing beats doing what you love and knowing no one can come along and ruin your fun.

PyroJoeNEPA
03-25-2012, 03:36 PM
Welcome to the forum Purangi & thanks for the info. It certainly makes us appreciate the laws we have here in the USA as they are much more flexible with allowed product. Some states here are better than others, and some are downright "Pyro Unfriendly" but we still get to "smell the smoke".

Purangi
03-26-2012, 04:25 AM
Hey Guys

The funny thing about expolsives/fireworks here is its not against the law to have the chemicals to make fireworks its just Illegal to mix them. A club would be awesome I know there are at least 5 others in my nieghbour hood making fireworks I see whats going into the sky and they can not be brought at the shops. Getting legal isn't that hard just expensive especially if you have a wife, children and grand children. In order to get your Level 1 AFHL you need to have worked on at least 2 Level 1 displays you get the first one when you do the course but the second one you need to plan, organise and get Certified by youself which is going to cost you around $3,000 all up. Although I complain about our fireworks here at least we get to play with them unlike our poor cousin's across the ditch.