PDA

View Full Version : Going from fundraising events to paid shoots

rcerone1979
03-01-2012, 10:46 AM
I have done some 1.3g displays for for a firework company in SD but they dont pay you until you have had your 3rd shoot. Its kinda like your training period. So after I was done I did some shows on my own for local towns and raised the money through events and sponsored donations. I put on Hosmer, South Dakota's first ever 4th of july celebration which was a great time. I didnt make anything, moved to NY getting through all the licenses and permits here, just wondering what a paid shooter would make for a company like Grucci or any other company.

indianahx
03-01-2012, 12:49 PM
First of all, I have never shot 1.3 for a company of any kind especially a company that is making a profit or is basically in commerce.....

Having said that, I have heard from numerous people that its a sham if youre working for a company and not receiving compensation. Not food, not water, but monetary compensation. You're out there working your but off giving your time and effort. I'm not advocating you should have been making big bucks. But something. Obviously the lead gets paid the most all the way down the scale to the greenhorn booting racks around.

I think its been talked on here several times about being paid for your efforts at shows, but its a pain in the ass for me to search on my phone. Maybe someone could chime in.

rcerone1979
03-01-2012, 12:59 PM
I love this industry and I enjoy everything I have done and will continue doing. I think the reason for them not paying you for your first 3 shoots is because they call it their traing period. They teach you how to do the setup, the protective clothing (safety) and of course how to properly light them. The experience in itself was worth it. The 3 shoots also allows you to start getting paid and aquire your final 2 shoots to be able to orchestrate your own show. How I finished my last 2 where through events that I setup with the supervision of there lead.

indianahx
03-01-2012, 01:18 PM
I understand the aspect of the training, but nonetheless at that point you are still an "employee" getting on-the-job training. Just my two cents.

pyrotec10
03-12-2012, 09:41 PM
Most display companies pay a shooters fee of 10-12% of the overall budget. This fee is split between the lead and the rest of the crew at the lead's discretion. A large show (40K or more) typically has a crew large enough that forces the company to pay a day rate. This day rate can range from 100-200 per person per day. In addition to these fees a company should allow everyone on site a food allowance.