PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Mortar tubes.........

Steviet000
02-18-2012, 02:10 AM
I do not own one tube or rack. I want to stock up (3''/4'') somewhat but cheap because this is just a hobby. What/where do you reccommend buying racks/tubes? Is it better to buy complete racks or build your own? I know fiberglass is cheaper but.............. Any help at all and I'll be greatgul.

Easternpapyro
02-18-2012, 08:39 AM
steviet000
well as far as me i bought a rack from a company located in my state and i wasnt happy with the construction so i made my own racks myself from 3' to 6' and as far as hdpe and fiberglass its all a matter of preferance i have fiberglass and hdpe ive never had a problem but after each shoot i clean and inspect both if you would like to make your own racks i could give you some measurements you could even use scrap/leftover wood from other projects i hope that helps you

indianahx
02-18-2012, 12:05 PM
I like building my own, but solely bc I like doing stuff like that and I appreciate it a little more. After all the time invested and material you'll be lucky to break even. So if you just "want" them then buy a complete rack. If you're looking to do you're own 100% custom rack go that route instead. The larger you get, the more expensive you'll get. Along that line, the larger you get the HEAVIER you'll get....especially with HDPE.

also, you say this is for a hobby. I've seen that Ohio is quite the PITA to shoot in. Ill just assume you're going to use contingency storage. Keeping that in mind, when using contingency, you must fire EVERY shell or take them back to you're storage. With that said, you would need enough tubes to fire each of those shells (barring that you're not reloading.....which is another hot topic in and of itself).

J's12talk
02-19-2012, 01:18 AM
I do not own one tube or rack. I want to stock up (3''/4'') somewhat but cheap because this is just a hobby. What/where do you reccommend buying racks/tubes? Is it better to buy complete racks or build your own? I know fiberglass is cheaper but.............. Any help at all and I'll be greatgul.

Pyrodirect had a great preseason sale on HDPE mortars. It is always cheaper to build your own racks, that is if you have the tools and skills to do it.

Steviet000
02-19-2012, 02:06 AM
I think I might want to build my own but I'm not sure...... lol THen again I don't even know how many to make or anythign like that...... and I'm sure I'll reload at least half.

J's12talk
02-19-2012, 02:14 AM
I think I might want to build my own but I'm not sure...... lol THen again I don't even know how many to make or anythign like that...... and I'm sure I'll reload at least half.

I've shot for a number of years reloading is a LATE RESORT!

Steviet000
02-19-2012, 10:12 AM
See, I'm really glad I'm apart of this site/communtity because this is the kinda stuff I want/need to learn. Thanks for the info.

Easternpapyro
02-19-2012, 10:32 AM
i agree with j's12talk i would try to stay away from reloading at all costs can be unsafe and if you can get ahold of scrap wood you can make alot out of it

Pyro Nation
02-19-2012, 12:51 PM
I've shot for a number of years reloading is a LATE RESORT!

A Late resort.... is that like ok its Late and i guess I will reload. I would of assumes it would of been a LAST resort...... : OP

Easternpapyro
02-19-2012, 09:01 PM
yea a late resort is that like its to late cant go back now

jknepp1954
02-19-2012, 11:02 PM
stevie - i see you are handy to the PA/Ohio line. Kellners isn't too far from you. I did not look at his website to see what pricing he has. ALSO - about 20 miles north of him is another guy who specializes in mortars and racks. Since this guy is not an advertiser - i will pm you his info.
Also pyrodirect is good too. Unless you want to make the long road trip to NE Pa - then he can ship to you.

Steviet000
02-19-2012, 11:30 PM
Yeah I like Kellners site. They sell a 3" fiberglass 10 shot rack but for the price I am wondering if it's just the rack only. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!! If I have to as a LATE resort i'll make them lol

Easternpapyro
02-20-2012, 07:44 AM
steviet000 the kellners rack comes with tubes that actually the first rack i started with good for the price

PyroJoeNEPA
02-20-2012, 03:49 PM
Yeah I like Kellners site. They sell a 3" fiberglass 10 shot rack but for the price I am wondering if it's just the rack only. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!! If I have to as a LATE resort i'll make them lol
Kellners price for 10 3" fiberglass tubes is $37.50---rack with tubes and eye bolts
is $46.25 so you are getting the rack & eye bolts for $8.75. Can't beat that. and I have used their 3" fiberglass tubes. They are a good investment. The rack itself--well, you could build something much more substantial quite easily but again, that is up to you.

Steviet000
02-21-2012, 01:37 PM
Yeah thats a great price. $41.25 if you buy 4 or more............ But I talked to dave up there and he said they are out and not sure if they are getting more this year. And with the new website they are not even on it. I ordered some 3" hdpe tubes from them 2 days ago and when I get them I will take measurements and try to build some. I seen some racks built as tall as the rack and some with the tubes sticking out 6"+. Does it matter?

PyroJoeNEPA
02-21-2012, 03:29 PM
I seen some racks built as tall as the rack and some with the tubes sticking out 6"+. Does it matter?
If you have 3-4" above the top rail you can drill a 1/4" hole in each gun so you can thread your ematch through & secure it when e-firing-- it keeps the shell from ripping out adjacent wires from your slat. If you are hand firing then it doesn't matter--although I did see one guy stick the visco out the side of the tube thru the hole & tape it to hand light his shells--not exactly what I would do though.
With a rack with 3" guns you do want to be sure to put spacers between the tubes on the top & bottom.

Pyro@Mach13
02-21-2012, 05:45 PM
Ynd with the new website they are not even on it.

New website? I still see the old one, Bob said that the 2012 prices would be on two weeks ago. I guess Mike is having issues... haha So, is kellfire.com still the site url?

Pyro@Mach13
02-21-2012, 06:04 PM
New website? I still see the old one, Bob said that the 2012 prices would be on two weeks ago. I guess Mike is having issues... haha So, is kellfire.com still the site url?

Ok duh? I can answer my own question... the site is updated, the home page looks the same the products pages are updated. I like the new style.

Pyro@Mach13
02-21-2012, 06:11 PM
I really like the new look of the site, and also the videos are linked to youtube now. No more windows media player. Mike did a great job. Some prices are up, some the same and I even seen one that is down...

Steviet000
02-22-2012, 11:49 AM
Ok duh? I can answer my own question... the site is updated, the home page looks the same the products pages are updated. I like the new style.

Sorry lol. I should have said new style. I like it.