PDA

View Full Version : fiberglass tubes

crackerbomb
02-17-2012, 05:11 AM
What is your opinion on shooting 1.3 shells out off fiberglass tubes and how big of shells would you shoot out of them?

FireworkExtrem
02-17-2012, 06:15 AM
Great thread, this will be useful to a lot of people.
Personally, I hate fiberglass tubes.. Mostly because I have had one blow up in my face.
They're "okay", but nothing more than that. I can only recommend HDPE tubes, to enthusiasts as well as professionals. Fiberglass gets weird over periods of time, I once found a video with a fiberglass mortar that had been left in sun filled window. When the shell was fired, the mortar literally jumped and got shredded. Fiberglass can also leave some pretty nasty debris, not to mention shrapnel.
So, my recommendation is to only use HDPE-tubes. But if you need to use fiberglass, stay away from salutes. And never fire anything bigger than a 3" from it.

//FireworkExtrem

indianahx
02-17-2012, 08:24 AM
Display companies fire (and sell) many different sized shells from fiberglass. It's common practice.

tennpyro1
02-17-2012, 08:57 AM
I myself feel safer with hdpe tubes but that's what I like. That's what I have always seen used in both 1.3 and 1.4

shellshocker
02-17-2012, 01:30 PM
I'll shoot out of either one. Guys make way to big a deal of the difference. They both work fine. Whatever you preference is go with it. I like hdpe up to 3" and fiberglass after that. Hdpe racks get way to heavy after 3's. For your other question there is no size limit.

PyroJoeNEPA
02-17-2012, 05:31 PM
I'll shoot out of either one. Guys make way to big a deal of the difference. They both work fine. Whatever you preference is go with it. I like hdpe up to 3" and fiberglass after that. Hdpe racks get way to heavy after 3's. For your other question there is no size limit.

Ditto with everything shellshocker said.

Easternpapyro
02-17-2012, 07:40 PM
i kinda agree i personally use both i dont think one is better than the other but i clean out and inspect all my racks and tubes after ever shoot to make sure they will be good for the next shoot

crackerbomb
02-20-2012, 08:41 PM
Well it looks like it comes down to a personal preference on fiberglass to hdpe tubes.

mici59
02-21-2012, 02:21 PM
go old school and shoot out of aluminum or cardboard

PyroJoeNEPA
02-21-2012, 03:23 PM
go old school and shoot out of aluminum or cardboard
Now if you are going to do that, get the schedule 80 steel pipe that weighs 30 pounds a tube! 10 in a rack, great cardio workout!!! LOL

Pyro@Mach13
02-21-2012, 05:46 PM
Now if you are going to do that, get the schedule 80 steel pipe that weighs 30 pounds a tube! 10 in a rack, great cardio workout!!! LOL

Wow - I would say so. Imagine setting 30 or so racks like that... no thanks!

shellshocker
03-06-2012, 06:59 AM

Steel has to be buried.

PyroJoeNEPA
03-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Steel has to be buried.

I know that--I was making a joke!!!!! If you don't want to dig a hole for the guns you could always get a big wooden box, a dump truck full of sand, & a back hoe ---but then, if you have to get the back hoe to pull the tubes out of the sand you could use it to dig the hole in the first place.......gee, this pyro business if full of complicated decisions. LOL!!

crackerbomb
03-06-2012, 07:57 PM
I know that--I was making a joke!!!!! If you don't want to dig a hole for the guns you could always get a big wooden box, a dump truck full of sand, & a back hoe ---but then, if you have to get the back hoe to pull the tubes out of the sand you could use it to dig the hole in the first place.......gee, this pyro business if full of complicated decisions. LOL!!

Know this sounds like a making of a great show. Big machines playing in a sand box (childhood memories) and fireworks!