PDA

View Full Version : Flash Powder - Different oxidizers & metals

FireworkExtrem
02-16-2012, 12:11 PM
Hey Guys,
First of all I would like to thank you all for this awesome forum. I really hope I get to use some more of my time here. Especially thanks to Dave, who helped me sign up ;)
Secondly I want to present myself, my name is Mikhail I'm 21 years old and live in the Czech Republic. Fireworks is and always will be, my passion and hobby.
I usually film my projects (mostly commercial fireworks) and upload the video onto YouTube. So needless to say, filming is also a great hobby to me.

Alright, back to topic.
I'm just getting into making my own compositions. I already have some experience in making Flash Powder, (the usual 70/30 KClO4 & GD Aluminum). But would like to extend my knowledge, and start making different sorts of flash powder. As mentioned above I already have made the standard 70/30 mixture with KClO4 & German Dark. But since I'm beginning to run low on Potassium Perchlorate, I am thinking about making a potassium nitrate based flash, using Magnesium. I am really trying to figure out how to get the best flash powder, from using potassium nitrate and magnesium? Any input is welcome!

Now, before I get started I want to hear other people's experiences with different kinds of Flash Powder. I need to know a lot about ratio, sensitivity and general experiences with these compositions. I would love to be able to try some of that blue aluminum, but it is near impossible to get in Europe.

These are the compositions that I am already familiar with:
KClO4 & German Dark - 70/30% ( I prefer 64/36% )
KClO4 & Magnesium - 70/30% ( I prefer 64/36% )

If anyone feels like sharing some other sort of great flash powder composition, these are the oxidizers & metals, that are available to me at present time:
KClO3
SrNO3
BaNO3
NaNO3
KNO3
KClO4
Sulphur
63micron MgAl
200micron MgAl
63micron Mg
Atomized Al 400 mesh
German black 000

Kind regards,
Mikhail - FireworkExtrem

PyroJoeNEPA
02-16-2012, 01:41 PM
Welcome to the forum FireworkExtreme. We will be looking forward to seeing your videos. PM sent.

Pyro@Mach13
02-16-2012, 04:10 PM
Welcome to the forum FireworkExtreme. We will be looking forward to seeing your videos. PM sent.

Agreed! looking forward to seeing some.

FireworkExtrem
02-16-2012, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the kind words!
If you feel like it, here is the link to my YouTube page. There you can find some of my unboxings, reviews, tests and much more.
This differs A LOT from the stuff you see in the US, so I bet you will find it interesting! :)

LINK: YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/fireworkextrem)

Pyro Nation
02-16-2012, 09:41 PM
I subscribed to it.. You will find there are quite a few people on here that also have a youtube page

here is mine

http://www.youtube.com/user/sodajerk25?feature=mhee

Pyro@Mach13
02-16-2012, 11:05 PM
I subscribed to it.. You will find there are quite a few people on here that also have a youtube page

here is mine

http://www.youtube.com/user/sodajerk25?feature=mhee

That is you - cool, I watched a bunch of your videos via searching (just a couple today even) ... I just subscribed to it! well to both the OP's too!

Pyro Nation
02-16-2012, 11:19 PM
LOL... Nice.... Havent put anything new up, but it is getting to that time of year. Gonna try and start taping some different cakes to start the video library of items

copper acetoarsenite
09-22-2012, 02:57 PM
salutes have come a long way now they have microstars and color burst...but remember deviation for a simple two component systems makes the effects much more treacherous...alamost every secondary high explosive- save nitrolglycerin and maybe picric acid is much safer to work with than a three component flash especially magnesium flashes...I hope you use antistatic spray work in high humidity >60% wear all cotton and preferably have EVERYTHING earthed...flash is dangerous to screen unless one used a horse hair sieve or at the minimum brass I wouldn't screen any three component flash...rather they should be carefully mixed on sheets of paper by turning the edges

I do realize the huge numbers of effects available and why someone would want to experiment with the different mixtures but please remember flash is treacherous!!!!!!! I'd rather honestly work with EGDN then some of the 3 component flash mixtures I've seen 50 grams and your torso on up is a pink mist!!! excercise EXTREME!!!!!! caution and when mixing flash keep a continual eye upon heaven...

here's some nice use of salutes here the final volley of microstar 'peony salutes' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COC-lh8rE40

and here the timed flash reports makes all the difference
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPI2uKvWAyE

note: the Japanese tend to use a final simultaneous volley rather than the usual western 'sucession finale'

please be extremely careful with flash one mistake could mean your instantaneous death!!!!!!!!!!! I can't tell you what to do but I would avoid exotic flashes until you really really understand the risk of some of these mixtures...and make only tiny amounts ( 5 -10 grams) of any new /exotic mixtures...only use potassium chlorate [if you really insist-though I don't recomend that for flashes] perchlorate or nitrate

flash is the worst of all explosives...the most death in the entire explosives industry were 1. toy pistol cap manufacture...2. flash powder TNT PETN...nothing in comparison...whistle too can be treacherous...just be careful!!!!please

GermanDark
12-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Hey i have a question: which are the safest material for a container to mixing flash? i hope someone knows it... Now i'm using a glass container and a pencil to mix it. Is this the right way?

Chris H
12-13-2012, 12:42 AM
Definitely not. Any container isn't much good actually. Many people will simply diaper flash on a sheet of paper. Lift the corners to roll the chemicals into one another until completely mixed. There is a better method for larger amounts, but you need to learn to walk before you can run.