PDA

View Full Version : Florida Permit Questions

georgiapyro
02-16-2012, 12:01 PM
So, while I'm working at getting my 54 license, I wanted to see if anyone on the forum knew about how shooting permits work in Florida. Every fall my family takes a trip down to the Florida gulf coast and it's a pretty good spot for a shoot. Last year we were right on the water, so the site was perfect. Although I've taken my chances in years past doing a few consumer products, I figured I might as well see about getting a permit to shoot and do a bigger show.

I've searched far a wide for Florida laws and regulations and I don't think the state has a specific form like Georgia does. I think it is mostly left up to individual jurisdictions. Anyway, I figured I would ask to see if we have any Florida folks who could shed some light for me. Thanks!

indianahx
02-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Did a little search for you....

FL article 791.02 states:

Every such display shall be handled by a competent operatortobe approvedbythe chiefs of the police and fire departments of the municipality in which the displayis tobe held, and shall be of such a character, and so located, discharged, or fired as in the opinion of the chief of the fire department,afterproperinspection, shall not be hazardous to property or endanger any person. Application for permits shall be made in writing at least 15 days in advance of the date of the display. After such privilege shall have been granted, sales, possession,use, and distribution of fireworks for such display shall be lawful for that purpose only. No permit granted hereunder shall be transferable.

indianahx
02-16-2012, 12:58 PM
Also......

791.03 Bond of licensees.—The board of county commissioners shall require a bond deemed adequate by the board of county commissioners from the licensee in a sum not less than $500 conditioned for the paymentofall damages which may be caused eithertoa person or to property by reason of the licensee’s display, and arising from any acts of the licensee, his or her agents, employees or subcontractors.

indianahx
02-16-2012, 01:05 PM
Sorry for the multi-posts but having "smart" phone issues....

Most all of the links I saw said that permits in Florida could be obtained from the fire department.

indianahx
02-16-2012, 01:17 PM
Another....a link. This has a break down, plus a few phone numbers and sources.

http://www.americanpyro.com/State%20Laws%20%28main%29/PDFStates/florida.pdf

georgiapyro
02-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Thanks indiana for the information. I had seem some of these statues before, but was unsure of where to go specifically to apply for the permit. I would assume that the bond would just be a temporary thing and that the check would be returned to me if there were no damages caused by the display? I believe I have read that to be the case in other states.

Pyro Nation
02-16-2012, 10:34 PM
First, have the property secured that you are going to do the show on.

Secondly, Fill out a Permit for the show. U can get a generic State Permit from several different firework sites. I know Kneppy's has one on there site

Third, Usually a Fire Chief is the one that signs permits for me... Or if he doesnt he will know more than likely who will be the AHJ

I found for my very first permit they wanted a layout of the property, where I would be placing the fireworks, List of what I would be shooting and max size shell

The $500 bond or whatever they ask for is basically held in case something goes wrong... You will get it back as long as nothing goes wrong

indianahx
02-16-2012, 10:56 PM
Secondly, Fill out a Permit for the show. U can get a generic State Permit from several different firework sites. I know Kneppy's has one on there site

As far as Florida goes, I cannot attest that this will be true or untrue. When I was skimming through the various sites, most of the municipalities I found had their own separate and individual permit forms....complete with letterhead and all pertaining to that specific municipality.

As was said though, I would make sure you have the land/shoot site secured, then go to the fire marshal of that specific town as described by the statutes.

FYI I'm no lawyer or interpreter but the way I read it, Florida varies from town to town and is pretty specific depending on whatever area you choose.

Use that to your advantage, however, and when you call or set this up you will look and sound way more professional and informed than just going to the chief saying "hey man, I wanna throw up a couple cakes on that beach over there...."

Rick_In_Tampa
05-13-2016, 09:54 AM
Based on a reading of the Florida statute http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0791/0791.html fireworks are illegal here, period. Unless you want to scare birds that is. Yet every 4th of July thousands of Floridians are scaring birds in every neighborhood in every town! Including me.

So my question is this. Since all fireworks are illegal; and since the Florida statute doesn't make a distinction between 1.3G and 1.4G fireworks; and since the local LE people don't seem to enforce ANY provision of this statute; does anyone really apply for a permit if they're using 1.3G fireworks in their display??

I am interested in getting a license to buy 1.3G fireworks so I can incorporate some into my annual show. I don't mind jumping through the hoops to get the license, but if it's impossible to get the local Fire Chief to sign off on a permit, then there's really no point in getting the license. If people are using 1.3G cakes and the Fire Chief doesn't care, I'd like to know that too.

I live in Hillsborough County Florida. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who lives here (who uses 1.3G fireworks) who can help explain how the process works in our locality. I'm looking for the unvarnished truth. Good bad, or otherwise.

Thanks in advance for your help.

CTPYRO
05-13-2016, 12:28 PM
You might also want to know if you need to have a Florida cert of compentency ( State shooters license ). Before that I'd consider getting trained on 1.3.. i.e.. working with a display company or joining a pyro club. The 54 only allows you to purchase and store the product.. nothing else. Not that it's the ATF business but they might also ask you where you plan on discharging 1.3. Once you cross that line and start adding 1.3 to your consumer show the entire show is now considered 1.3... just some food for thought though...

displayfireworks1
05-13-2016, 12:35 PM
Rick I see you are newly registered on the discussion forums. Maybe you can explain Your ip address is coming back as known "Network Sharing Forums Spam Source". Please send me a private message telling how you registered for the forums. Did you use a home computer , phone , public computer , proxy server etc. Sorry for the trouble but the website has been attacked twice so I have to be cautious. Also please send me your correct ip address, you will need your home computer to do that.

Dave displayfireworks1

GAPyro
05-14-2016, 02:08 PM
In Florida obtaining display permits varies from one county to another. I really depends on the fire chief, some are strict and some can be more lenient.

Rick_In_Tampa
05-17-2016, 10:44 AM
Great info! My friend and I are in the process of joining FPAG because they offer training and certification on how to handle and use fireworks. Based on your experience, do you think that would satisfy the requirements for obtaining a shooters license? If not, is there another training/certification outlet you could recommend that would satisfy the state's requirements?

CTPYRO
05-17-2016, 01:24 PM
Check with the States Emergency services and public protection area. To get a Certificate of Compentency you have to take a test that deals with all facets of shooting a show. Before you can take the test you might be required to validate you have shot 1.3 shows before and have letters of recommendation. The state wont just hand out a shooters license

displayfireworks1
05-17-2016, 06:27 PM
Let the record show the ip address I questioned and has been satisfactory explained, the member is from the state of Florida. Getting pretty Floridian on these forums all of sudden. LOL

Bazerk
05-17-2016, 07:27 PM
Let the record show the ip address I questioned and has been satisfactory explained, the member is from the state of Florida. Getting pretty Floridian on these forums all of sudden. LOL
Your welcome?

matandch
05-17-2016, 09:41 PM
Florida is absolutely a hot place to be.

Bazerk
05-17-2016, 10:03 PM
Florida is absolutely a hot place to be.

Literally. Lol. I love it here and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

matandch
05-17-2016, 10:29 PM
I'm with ya!

Rick_In_Tampa
05-18-2016, 10:26 AM
Florida is absolutely a miserable place to be in the summer when it's 95F and 100% humidity! It looks fabulous on a postcard or from the inside of an air conditioned room, but it's no fun being outside. But it's an extremely pyro-friendly place to be!! So you kind of have to pick your poison. :rolleyes:

Rick_In_Tampa
05-18-2016, 10:30 AM
Sounds like a catch 22 to me. If I can't get the shooters license until I shoot a 1.3G show, and I can shoot a 1.3G show unless I have a shooters license, I'm in a do-loop that goes nowhere.

Or did I miss something somewhere? Apologies in advance if I did.

matandch
05-18-2016, 04:07 PM
BUT, it's like you died and went to heaven come January, when it's 72° low humidity and light breezes. Meanwhile up north, it's 5°, 40 mph wind and a windchill of 30 below. I'll take the Florida summer any day over that!

CTPYRO
05-19-2016, 01:12 PM
Sounds like a catch 22 to me. If I can't get the shooters license until I shoot a 1.3G show, and I can shoot a 1.3G show unless I have a shooters license, I'm in a do-loop that goes nowhere.

Or did I miss something somewhere? Apologies in advance if I did.

It's not really a catch 22 to be honest. It's more about doing things the right way so that if the authorities come knocking you aren't in a heep of trouble. Bu every state is different in what they consider to be required in shooting fireworks. I love going out to PA because it's just much easier shooting and also the Club events we do up in NH

Bazerk
05-19-2016, 01:28 PM
Im not aware of anything that states that you have to have a shooters license in FL to secure a permit to shoot. Is thins only in the case of a public or paying event? I doubt this is true for firing on your own property is it?

displayfireworks1
05-19-2016, 03:10 PM
I do not have one single reported occurrence of any hobbyist ATF license holder being citied for shooting fireworks without a state certification for his own enjoyment. This includes all states of United States. I suggest reasonable judgment be exercised. For example if I lived in a full legal Consumer Fireworks state, I would have no problem adding thunderking cakes to my grand finale. I would also have no problem adding some of the mid sized 1.3 cakes.
I do have multiple occurrences of reports of ATF 1.3 Hobbyist shooting in rural areas and the police show up. They show the police their ATF license and are usually told to wrap it for night because of complains of neighbors thinking some sort of industrial accident is occurring.
Remember whatever happens, you will always be a properly licensed person in possession of a product you are legally allow to have. Most local governing bodies and local police do not really understand what being ATF licensed really means. That can actually work to your advantage.

CTPYRO
05-19-2016, 03:41 PM
The issue though is once you add TK's to your show the entire show now becomes 1.3 regardless...... now you living in PA and me here in CT is completely different

displayfireworks1
05-19-2016, 09:43 PM
So what if its 1.3 if you have an ATF license. Some of you guys keep making up rules that you believe to be true. You can not take commercial application standards and apply them to hobbyist using 1.3 fireworks for their own enjoyment. Some of these areas of United States are not used to seeing anyone but professional companies use 1.3. They are not even sure how to handle hobbyist doing the same thing as professional companies for the fun or it and not for profit.
A hobbyist can make explosives for his own enjoyment without a license. a for profit company cannot.
An ATF hobbyist can transport explosives without placards a for profit company cannot.
You can not take all of these regulations designed for profit fireworks companies and apply them to the hobbyist.
The real question is what if any of these state regulations apply to an ATF licensed hobbyist. Of all the people I helped get an ATF license I keep searching for an occurrence of someone being cited for violating these state type regulations and I can not find it. There is an element of risk venturing into new pyrotechnic territory there is no doubt, some people have higher risk tolerance than others. I live in the real pyrotechnic world and I know not everyone has permits and not everyone has permission. The research I did with those recent survey questions is validating that as true.

CTPYRO
05-20-2016, 08:40 AM
I'll agree with you that not everyone is well versed with fireworks ( officials ) and what the regs are and such. I spoke with a guy here in CT who has his 54 and does a rather large show that is not a municipal show but for friends and family. You have to be a licensed CT shooter, have the permit.. fire detail.. ect. This is just the way it is in CT being that the state is a nanny state with only safe n sane fireworks allowed. Now when I go out to PA to shoot with some friends..... none of that really comes into play with the exception of fire detail. We all have our 54 and shoot on private property. But to say you have a 54 and that's good enough isn't really the case when discharging B in the legal sense. Maybe it's all gravy until someone gets in trouble for shooting without going through the hoops or obtaining more information that's all I'm saying. I'm not policing what anyone does because to each his own. I'm just pumped to shoot some pyro tonight @ IPI open shoot

hjason7812
04-05-2017, 04:22 AM
The messed up thing is here in Florida where i live the police run the fire dept among lots of other things as well..