PDA

View Full Version : Ohio questions

Steviet000
02-08-2012, 06:58 PM
I was windering for all the Ohio Type 54 guys out there the laws and permits needs to shoot in Ohio? I heard I also have to get a permit/license from the state of Ohio and to recieve that you need some training and experience............. Any of this true? And to shoot a show for that night you will also need a permit from like the township? I'm obviously a noob when it comes to this but not for long. Thanks

indianahx
02-08-2012, 09:00 PM
Best off the wall advice is to go talk to the fire Marshall of your area and ask. I know its vague but he/she is the one who will ultimately sign off on you regardless.

crackerbomb
02-08-2012, 11:07 PM
to shoot fireworks in Ohio you do need to have $1,000,000 insurance along with the ok from the police chief along with the fire chief. Then you must have an inspector before, during and after the shoot. You must also get the permits from the state and take there classes. I looked into doing thing the legal way but its a huge up hill battle sooooo I don't do fireworks in Ohio???????????????

Pyro Nation
02-08-2012, 11:14 PM
WOW.... I guess Ohio is right up there with New York and New Jersey!!!!

J's12talk
02-08-2012, 11:42 PM
Find out what the fine is for shooting 1.4g and just pay the fine if it's within reason. Plain and simply all they really are interested in is money anyway. They truly do not care about anyones safety, thats just their excuse and in the end it's all about the money.

wpman321
02-08-2012, 11:55 PM
I agree J's12talk, I take that chance every year!

jknepp1954
02-09-2012, 10:59 AM
Another thing is to join a club - there are 2 in Ohio -
OPAG = central and south ohio http://www.opag.us/
NEOPG - North East Ohio http://neopg.com/

indianahx
02-09-2012, 12:58 PM
I personally think I would go with what Joyce said and not do anything illegal.

wpman321
02-10-2012, 12:02 AM
I have joined the PGI and am planning to join NEOPG, was planning on going to thier shoot february 4, in russel ohio but was cancelled do to good weather. ( was a winter fest theme)

shellshocker
02-14-2012, 01:45 PM
Joyce has the best advise. You must be licensed by the state of Ohio if you want to do your own shows. In order to do that you must shoot under another display company and have them sign your paperwork. You then must pass a test and then you get your display operator license. That's just the first step. You then need a minimum of 1mil liability insurance then you can apply for your local permit. If you join a club you will get an Ohio license to shoot under the display operators license. That license is only good if your shooting under him. You could then plan your show and do a club event.

displayfireworks1
02-14-2012, 09:48 PM
I just want to add in here. I would not let the fireworks laws in Ohio stop you from getting your ATF license to purchase 1.3 fireworks. No state in United States can stop you from getting your ATF license to purchase 1.3 fireworks. The entire procedure is run by the Federal Government. Some of these fireworks laws in Ohio pertain to a public display, a private display that is not for public viewing and not for profit may not fall into all these regulations. I have helped people in Ohio get their license and they tell me they shoot fireworks all the time. If you or anyone so to speak wait for everyone involved to say it is OK to shoot fireworks you can wait a long time. In some locations, it is more work than others are. Checking with local fireworks clubs is great advice, I would bet there are many people in these clubs that have their 1.3 license and can help you along.

shellshocker
02-14-2012, 10:11 PM
You are correct Dave. The first step should be to get your ATF license. The rest of the info I posted is the way the Ohio laws are. It is quite the process in Ohio. I am sure people shoot all the time there but if they aren't licensed by Ohio then they are illegal. I think that is what the poster was asking.

Steviet000
02-16-2012, 09:37 PM
Dave. Great advice as always. I understand that the ATF license is for the US and Ohio there is no state that can stop me from getting it. But I just want to make sure I am 110% responsible when I hold this license so I wont get introuble and make a bad name for people like us. For the 4th of July and in October I want to do a little and I mean under $1000 and with no more than eight 3''- 4'' mortar racks to add to the other peoples 1.4 fireworks at our local Racetrack (Dragway 42, where the owner lets us at the end of the day go down at the end of the track) in Ohio (out in the country). But to go throught everything seems alittle worthless or over kill and to have a firetruck there and all that....... I just don't want to go through that for something small. Not sure if its something to chance since there is never problems. The racers there spend Thousands at Phantom ever year. No matter I still want my license which I'm waiting on the call for the interveiw now......... Almost wish I lived in Pa even though I'm only 15 mins from the line