PDA

View Full Version : Get your ATF license to purchase 1.3 fireworks

displayfireworks1
02-03-2012, 12:03 AM
I am not sure how many people on the forums have their ATF Type 54 User of Display Fireworks, but now is the time to thing about getting it. I contacted all the 1.3 fireworks distributors that advertise on this website and they are willing to assist anyone that lives within reasonable geographic distance to them. They want to help you get the license and in return, they want you to purchase 1.3 fireworks from them. Their future market is in newly licensed individuals.
In my most recent video “News Years Eve with the Cobra”, I took a man with minimal fireworks experience assisted him through the ATF procedure to get his license to purchase 1.3 fireworks. If you need my help, consider purchasing my DVD package as advertised on this website.
As pyrotalk continues to grow, I am hoping to add more 1.3 fireworks distributors as advertisers and continue to geographically target sections of United States for licensure to those that need assistance.
Remember just because you have your ATF license it does not mean you are done purchasing 1.4 fireworks, you will actually find more reasons to use fireworks and continue to use both. As always when you purchase fireworks or fireworks related products please consider the people that advertise on pyrotalk.com.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8zB0vKMcY8

crackerbomb
02-03-2012, 12:24 AM
I like how you put this video together. GREAT JOB and keep them coming!!

BlingKing
04-11-2012, 01:42 PM
Sweet I just received my DVD to obtain my ATF license, about to start working on it right now. Thanks Dave
How many people do you know that have there license in Iowa?

displayfireworks1
04-11-2012, 07:59 PM
In Iowa, I am not sure. I cannot discuss particulars of anyone without their permission; I can tell you I had positive feedback from the Midwest Area. I may request some numbers from the ATF in regard to numbers of licensed individuals per state per year.
If I can get more 1.3 fireworks distributors to sign on to pyrotalk one day I will make a video like the one above only it will have more locations in other states. With the help of my 1.3 advertisers, almost anyone in the states I have mentioned can obtain the ATF Display Fireworks license. However, that is not to say you have to live in one of the states I have mentioned to get the license. The procedure is the same in all states. I get feedback all the time from various states that people are receiving the license.

logansrun
07-19-2012, 06:34 PM
Dave,

New to your site and video's, but old school on the fireworks! Love all of your stuff, and am anxious to continue my education!

Anyway, do you have experience dealing with the VA laws in regards to getting a license, and getting permits for backyard shows? If so, I'd love to hear your input. I just ordered your DVD, and am looking forward to getting started!

Oh yeah, I was busted by the Fire Marshal 4 years ago, and plea bargained a misdemeanor charge w/the judge. Will this affect my ability to obtain an ATF license?

I've been lighting large 1.4g shows (Upwards of 100 - 500gm cakes + other pieces) in my backyard (3 acres of mowed grass/house-patio 100yds from shoot site), in which my neighborhood (In Leesburg, VA) would come and watch (upwards of 200ppls). But ONE asshole decided that his dog was more important than anyone else, and his buddy is a Loudoun County Fire Marshal. I'm sure you get the picture. They literally tried to get me thrown in jail for lighting fireworks! Needless to say, $15k in legal fees later, I'm a bit bitter:-)

Any info you have would be appreciated!

Look forward to chatting soon....have LOTS of questions!!!

crackerbomb
07-19-2012, 07:11 PM
Dave,

New to your site and video's, but old school on the fireworks! Love all of your stuff, and am anxious to continue my education!

Anyway, do you have experience dealing with the VA laws in regards to getting a license, and getting permits for backyard shows? If so, I'd love to hear your input. I just ordered your DVD, and am looking forward to getting started!

Oh yeah, I was busted by the Fire Marshal 4 years ago, and plea bargained a misdemeanor charge w/the judge. Will this affect my ability to obtain an ATF license?

I've been lighting large 1.4g shows (Upwards of 100 - 500gm cakes + other pieces) in my backyard (3 acres of mowed grass/house-patio 100yds from shoot site), in which my neighborhood (In Leesburg, VA) would come and watch (upwards of 200ppls). But ONE asshole decided that his dog was more important than anyone else, and his buddy is a Loudoun County Fire Marshal. I'm sure you get the picture. They literally tried to get me thrown in jail for lighting fireworks! Needless to say, $15k in legal fees later, I'm a bit bitter:-)

I would take the dog and throw it into a wood chipper.

indianahx
07-19-2012, 08:56 PM
Dave,

As far as the misdemeanor is concerned, I believe it's a felony that is the big bad mark....I'm not absolutely 100% on that but pretty sure. That doesn't mean though that a misdemeanor will make or break you so to speak. It's probably on a case by case review.....

As far as the reasoning for your "incident" and laws, it Says here http://www.dof.virginia.gov/fire/fireworks.shtml that basically only snakes and sparklers are allowed for consumers to use. Anything else must be done by a Licensed contractor.

Bottom line is against the law is against the law. Not trying to rip you, but there are always those who get away with stuff time after time and then reality comes a calling (and that's in many facets in life, not just fireworks).

My point being that if it's illegal for joe schmoe to light fireworks without the proper permits, the bet way to do that is to join a club and get all your kicks in without the hassle and fear that the law will come a knocking. I always heard the same advice over and over and over but never thought twice about it (since Indiana is a great pyro state). But ever since I joined HPA, I keep telling myself how I wish I would have gotten involved in the club so much sooner!!!!

Good luck in your quest. If your interested in a local club I'm sure someone locally to you could name some.

Welcome to the forums by the way!

coachtimmyj
07-19-2012, 09:47 PM
Anyway, do you have experience dealing with the VA laws in regards to getting a license, and getting permits for backyard shows?

VA laws have nothing to do with whether you can pursue and get your ATF license. Now, that being said, in order to put on a permitted display in the state of VA, you will first need to be a licensed VA outdoor display operator (or have one on-site as the lead operator) and in most areas, you must have display insurance with a minimum of $5 million in coverage as well as follow all the particulars of NFPA 1123. I say most because unless you are shooting on state owned property or an area in which the State FireMarshal is the AHJ (because they do not have a local Fire Marshal) it is up to each municipality to determine what level of insurance you will need. Most require $5 million but a few still accept a personal bond which is typically anywhere from $500-$1500. Not trying to discourage you at all, just letting you know since there have been many changes in VA over the past 9 months. You should start with your local fire chief and go from there in order to get the most accurate information. Good luck with the venture.

I also couldn't agree more about joining a club, waaaay less headaches than permitting your own display with the comfort of not having to look over your shoulder.

displayfireworks1
07-19-2012, 10:28 PM
ATF License Data Virginia

By county
Accomack-2
Albermarle-2
Augusta-1
Bland-1
Chesterfield-1
Clarke-1
Craig-2
Cumberland-1
Danville City-1
Fairfax-1
Falls Church-1
Fauquier-1
Floyd-1
Frederick-1
Giles-1
Halifax-1
Lanxaster-1
Loudoun-2
Louisa-1
Mathews-1
Mathews-1
Montgomery-1
Northhaupton-1
North Umberland-1
Orange-1
Powhatan-1
Prince William-1
Roanoke-1
Russell-1
Spotsylvania-1
Stafford-1Washinton-1

Washington DC area -4

displayfireworks1
07-20-2012, 12:04 AM
The Crackerjacks is located in Virginia and we shoot fireworks there all the time. We have a permit, so it is possible.
As far as getting an ATF Fireworks license with a criminal record. A source at the ATF told me a gun or explosive charge for sure will get you denied. Other things will no doubt get some more questions. You have nothing to lose because if they deny you, you get your money returned. Go for it.

logansrun
07-20-2012, 05:09 AM
Thanks Guys, appreciate the info! I've already sent for your video, so I'll wait and see where it goes from there. I'm joining CrackerJacks today as well.

As for the comments: "The Law is the Law"... I found out the hard way. And obviously, I was aware of the law and flaunted it. But now, getting older and maybe wiser, it's time to get legal with the hobby. At least as legal as I can get:-)

Thanks again!

coachtimmyj
07-20-2012, 07:54 AM
Joining the Crackerjacks is a good move, close to you and a great group of guys. Another venue you may be interested in is the Mid-Atlantic Fireworks Festival held twice a year in MD (and soon to be VA as well). Check us out at www.maff.ws. You can also search for videos of some of the types of displays shot here by googling "M.A.F.F. displays" or "Mid-Atlantic Fireworks Festival". We also are on facebook with links to many of the shows. Hope to see you out here some day, you won't regret it ;)

displayfireworks1
07-20-2012, 11:21 AM
If you just joined the Crackerjacks, ask them if you can attend the Crackerjacks shoot in Culpeper VA tomorrow. I will be there.

logansrun
07-20-2012, 02:42 PM
Dave,

I sent an email to Mr. Clark as well as a voice mail to find if I'm able to attend. I have all of the waiver forms filled out and signed, just need to hand them in.

Funny you mentioned the shoot and me trying to attend. A friend of mine at Patriotic (Jack Leonard) told me to do the same thing. Pyro minds think alike!

I'll let you know, and hopefully I'll see you there!

If you just joined the Crackerjacks, ask them if you can attend the Crackerjacks shoot in Culpeper VA tomorrow. I will be there.

logansrun
07-20-2012, 03:52 PM
Dave, just got off the phone with Danny Clark. I'm in for tomorrow, but we were both driving so I'm lacking some info, could you help? He gave me the address, but I don't know if I wrote it correctly. Also, what are the times of operation? If I want to purchase any fireworks, do I have to light them there, or can I take some home?

I have more Q's as we were pretty quick, but at least I'm in to going! Sweet!!!

Thanks in advance!

EddieD
08-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Permit app is already to get mailed out tomorrow. Thx for all the info and the contact to Zach at IPI. Wish me luck.

valpoboom
08-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Thanks Dave. Watched the dvds and WOW!!! This is awesome step by step info for everyone to follow. Dave, I thank you for all your help in helping to info everyone on the safety and techniques of doing our own backyard displays. But also taking the extra time to complie this awesome dvd info pack so all those who wish to step things up alittle more can really add to our shows.

pyrodisco
08-21-2012, 11:56 AM
I suggest folks buy this video. My wife purchased this for me as a Christmas present a couple of years ago and it really helped walk through the process. Well worth the money.

One thing I'd like to contribute. I did get some of my material returned because of some omissions. Dave did say they don't like blanks (LOL) Anyway the whole "business" feel of the application did confuse me, but after talking with the ATF this morning they explained it to me which made it click. She said that "ownership" doesn't mean "business" it means "of the license." So she told me to put individual owner down for the "title" sections. Also she wanted me to fill out the "responsible persons" section to include just my name. It's a bit redundant, but again they don't like blanks.

One final note on the finger print cards. PA State Police have a computerized fingerprinting capability now. It automatically fills out the top section of the blue fingerprint card. However be careful, it filled in the place for the officer's signature with his name printed. I got a return on the card because it wasn't signed. So make sure when you get fingerprinted, remind the officer not to have the computer fill out the "signature" section.

Slight bump in the road, but hopefully this will help folks going forward.

Thanks Dave for the video!

Dave

PyroManiacs
08-21-2012, 04:45 PM
Pyrodisco... thanks for a little detailed knowledge, I will keep that in mind when I get mine.

displayfireworks1
08-28-2012, 09:05 PM
Thanks for purchasing my ATF DVD package. Keep us posted when you receive your license.

pyrocrazy
09-09-2012, 01:17 PM
My name is Chris im coming to check out HPA on saturday for the shoot i cant wait

laquil
09-14-2012, 05:06 PM
Hi guys, I need your help I am from Malta and I would like to know how do you classified your Fireworks like
1.3G or 1.1G and also I would like to know what is allowed to import fireworks

displayfireworks1
09-18-2012, 08:51 AM
Yes fireworks are classified 1.3 etc in United States. To import fireworks a license from the Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosives is required. I am sure a requirement for the license is that the person has the proper storage once the fireworks arrive in United States.