PDA

View Full Version : Cremoras

Me,indypyro
04-27-2021, 08:02 AM
Hello all,
I wanted to post a picture of the stainless steel cremora my buddy and I made. Two more of these then on to some 4/6 inch gas mines. I know stainless might be overkill, but luckily I have some resources for fab work!
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5691&stc=1http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5692&stc=1

Arclight
04-27-2021, 02:35 PM
That looks good! How much BP do you place in the bottom, and do you separate it from the Cremora with tissue paper?

Arclight
04-27-2021, 03:20 PM
That looks good! How much BP do you place in the bottom, and do you separate it from the Cremora with tissue paper?

Me,indypyro
04-28-2021, 07:36 AM
Thanks!
I've been using 2.2oz of ffff with good results.
I also separate the powders with regular tissue paper from my wifes gift bags. I'm excited to use this next weekend and play with my ratios,then I'll hand etch that on my device for future reference.

PyroJoeNEPA
04-28-2021, 08:22 AM
Yep, stainless steel is definitely overkill for a creamora, but, as they say, "if you have it, use it". They look great. Well done.
I would suggest you drill a hole in two opposite corners of the base plate for a short piece of rebar for a stake to keep it from tipping over if it is not on level ground.

Me,indypyro
04-28-2021, 11:20 AM
Thank you, they turned out better than I hoped,had to polish them a little! I know what's the point,but I wanted them looking professional! I had always planned on holes in base for my gas mines,but hadn't thought about for these. Good idea,thanks for the input!! I will do it to these also.
Gotta say,this fourm and the knowledge of you all have taught me SO much. Much appreciated

RalphieJ
04-29-2021, 01:14 PM
Nice welds.

displayfireworks1
04-29-2021, 08:05 PM
Years back with these Cremora mines, they used a stainless steel dog food dish, then cover with tissue to direct the force upward from the lift charge. I happen to see some of those dog food dishes at Walmart last time I went there. The dog dish and the plastic buckets were used together back then. Without the dog dish, the plastic bucket would blow apart. i'm surprised people are still using Cremora. You can probably move into gasoline with that design. Maybe its just me but on a side note, do not drill that little hole in the side of these mortar. When you make these, irrespective of Cremora or gasoline, the lift is all electric match going forward. That hole you drilled in the bottom is used more for flash pot or concussion mortar. Do you have a fireworks firing system?

Me,indypyro
04-29-2021, 10:03 PM
Good to know concerning the hole. I will plug it,it makes sense. I've always had crappy #10 maybe cans. Not real durable. Hense the upgrade. I'm modeling my 4/6 inch gas mines after pics from all of you here! About 2 weeks out on that.
I have a cobra system that is reliable and will probably always have. I took Dave's course and been buying and shooting 1.4Pro since. Honestly,it changed my life! Thanks for all the info Dave

Me,indypyro
04-30-2021, 09:44 PM
Thanks RalphieJ!
Wish I could take credit for the welding!

RalphieJ
05-07-2021, 10:09 PM
My local display company used an aluminum "flying-saucer" snow glider. Once. A shallow depression was dug, the saucer placed, and 25+ lbs. of black powder, along with the meal and chunks left over from their star-making, 3 or 4 years worth. It was one heaping pile of pyro. As the finale finished, they fired a "GOOD NIGHT" set-piece, and just as the letters began to fade, that mound was ignited in front of the set-piece, forming a huge mushroom cloud of fire, sparks, and smoke roaring about 50-ft in the air. As it reached it's apogee a 6-inch salute detonated (to me it looked to be only 20 feet above the cloud). It was spectacular. Was it well-received? I guess that depended upon whether your kids were laughing, or crying hysterically, and I suspect the latter. The operators were told "Do NOT do that next year."

Would that be considered a "cremora"?

PyroJoeNEPA
05-09-2021, 10:32 AM
My local display company used an aluminum "flying-saucer" snow glider. Once. A shallow depression was dug, the saucer placed, and 25+ lbs. of black powder, along with the meal and chunks left over from their star-making, 3 or 4 years worth. It was one heaping pile of pyro. As the finale finished, they fired a "GOOD NIGHT" set-piece, and just as the letters began to fade, that mound was ignited in front of the set-piece, forming a huge mushroom cloud of fire, sparks, and smoke roaring about 50-ft in the air. As it reached it's apogee a 6-inch salute detonated (to me it looked to be only 20 feet above the cloud). It was spectacular. Was it well-received? I guess that depended upon whether your kids were laughing, or crying hysterically, and I suspect the latter. The operators were told "Do NOT do that next year."

Would that be considered a "cremora"?

No--a "cremora" is called that because it is basically a tube filled with dry powered milk creamer --aka "Cremora"..ignited & lifted by a BP charge. Many other things can be used in place of the cremora--I have a friend that uses powdered dehydrated eggs --it works, but looks a little different.I get my cremora in 50 gal drums--it is floor sweepings from a plant that makes the cremora. I know someone else that used very fine sawdust from a sanding machine used by a wood working shop.