PDA

View Full Version : Large Letters

Rick_In_Tampa
04-21-2021, 07:40 PM
I bought a box of lances to make a small set-piece for my show last year. I was going to try and cut my teeth by doing something simple and just make a "B" and a "G" which are the letters in the name of our subdivision.

The problem is, I couldn't find any wooden letters big enough to make it worth doing. My neighbor is a carpenter, but he passed away this past year. So that option is literally gone.

Would anyone be able to point me in the direction of a place that sells large, thin, wooden letters big enough to make a set-piece out of?

PyroJoeNEPA
04-21-2021, 08:57 PM
Rick--we use 1 1/2" strips of Luan with 1" brads shot thru them every 3". These are then cut and screwed onto a piece of lattice. Lances are pushed on the brads and a spot of hot glue to secure them in place. Using the 7 segment rectangle [like all the old nixie tubes used] it is simple to create letters of any size. The Luan can be cut with a utility knife once it is cut into strips. Also, re-useable.
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5687&stc=1

Here is a pic of a large star we did for a Lee Greenwood concert in 2017:

ssmith512
04-22-2021, 01:26 PM
Try your local sign shop. Like FastSigns or Next Day Signs or whatever is in your neighborhood. They can print up letters any size / font and probably have multiple materials to choose from that will work for your particular need.

Rick_In_Tampa
04-22-2021, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I appreciate the input.

displayfireworks1
04-23-2021, 08:31 PM
My advice on a set piece is to leave as much air space as possible with minimal solid background behind it. You do not want to use a flat piece of plywood and just tack everything onto that. You want air and visual field to pass through each open space of the letter or number. I will use this picture from one of my videos. See the open air and visual space between the letters and numbers. In hindsight , I now see what I would do to make this lance effect even better. If I would set this same effect up today, I would put at least 10 to 15 feet separation between "100" and "Years". If you want to set lance work up on the cheap or have limited resources available to you, consider using thin one by boards and cut out your own letters and/or numbers.
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5689&stc=1

WithReport
04-24-2021, 03:00 PM
Here is an example of what was done for a flag, it was used almost every night at PGI 2019. The shape was cut out of strips of OSB with screws through it. for the lances. Not sure where you could just buy large letters.
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5690&stc=1

Rick_In_Tampa
04-25-2021, 04:08 PM
Great suggestions guys. Thanks! I'm going to play around with a few options and see what I can do. I hope to have something simple made for the 4th.

Mattp
04-26-2021, 11:43 PM
I have an idea for this that I think is really simple and easy if it works.. haven’t had a chance to try it out myself yet so I don’t know.. but ... using that heavy gauge square hole mesh chicken wire .(they make it in different sizes) if you can find it with the hole size where a lance will snugly fit .. you can use it like a grid and write anything you want on it... then simply attach it to some stakes or hang it on a cable between two poles ... and if you cannot find it where the lance will fit snug... then Get it bigger.. and zip or twist tie the lance to it

tmwjr
06-10-2021, 10:56 PM
This year I had someone cut me out large vinyl letters for $17, stick them to scrap plywood, and then cut them out of the plywood. This year I used lance holders because I intend to reuse the letters next year and don't want to store them with the exposed nails.http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5760&stc=1

Scotty Rockets
06-11-2021, 01:18 AM
I have an idea for this that I think is really simple and easy if it works.. haven’t had a chance to try it out myself yet so I don’t know.. but ... using that heavy gauge square hole mesh chicken wire .(they make it in different sizes) if you can find it with the hole size where a lance will snugly fit .. you can use it like a grid and write anything you want on it... then simply attach it to some stakes or hang it on a cable between two poles ... and if you cannot find it where the lance will fit snug... then Get it bigger.. and zip or twist tie the lance to it

I have seen this done before, on the back side of lance they use a wide head nail and press and secure it through the mesh wire I’ve also seen a guy use plastic caps that fit into the mesh and snuggly held the lance also.

PyroJoeNEPA
06-11-2021, 07:45 AM
All the above are good suggestions. One thing I would point out--"All lances are not created equal". So far, we have purchased lance that has been three different diameters. Originally, we had the lance from Precocious with the plastic holders [expensive holders, but worked very nicely]! Then we got some from Dominator, and a third batch from a vendor at PGI. All three were different. Just something to be aware of.

tmwjr
06-11-2021, 09:47 AM
Good point on the size. I didn't think about other manufacturers. Also, the holders are ridiculously expensive for what they are.

displayfireworks1
06-11-2021, 09:31 PM
This year I had someone cut me out large vinyl letters for $17, stick them to scrap plywood, and then cut them out of the plywood. This year I used lance holders because I intend to reuse the letters next year and don't want to store them with the exposed nails.http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5760&stc=1
Nice, that is the way to do it. You need that open visual space between the letters. I also suggest to get those letter off the ground as high as possible . I'm curious how are you going to do that?

tmwjr
06-12-2021, 09:39 PM
Nice, that is the way to do it. You need that open visual space between the letters. I also suggest to get those letter off the ground as high as possible . I'm curious how are you going to do that?

I'll be using furring strips to make them into a single piece. Then probably 2x4 for posts. I'll probably use 2x4s for a base. They'll be on extremely thick gravel which doesn't support pounding into the ground. I should have them 3-4 feet off the ground.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-13-2021, 06:02 PM
Those look perfect. They should display very nicely. Thanks for sharing!

tmwjr
07-16-2021, 09:00 PM
We were planning on shooting tomorrow but it doesn't look good with the weather. Anyways, here is the finished set piece...

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5902&stc=1

Mattp
07-16-2021, 09:38 PM
We were planning on shooting tomorrow but it doesn't look good with the weather. Anyways, here is the finished set piece...

Nice touch with the black paint it almost fully blends in.. in the daytime too

kharford
07-19-2021, 04:18 PM
Where did you get the spacers?

displayfireworks1
07-19-2021, 07:14 PM
Where did you get the spacers?

Those spacers have been around for years. Check with who you purchase you lance work from.

kharford
07-20-2021, 10:44 AM
Thanks Dave