PDA

View Full Version : How to Make your own matchcrackers

thechemist45
01-29-2012, 12:36 AM
Hi This is a tutorial on how to make your own matchcrackers that will work just as well infact better! Than the ones you come across. Please get a pen handy to write dow the formula & watch all 3 video's Enjoy

P.S. Please do not attempt this if you are not educated and licensed in pyrotechnics And please Be safe!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgaMo44vGrM&feature=g-upl&context=G2bb2fccAUAAAAAAABAA

jknepp1954
01-29-2012, 09:12 AM
Hi This is a tutorial on how to make your own matchcrackers that will work just as well infact better! Than the ones you come across. Please get a pen handy to write dow the formula & watch all 3 video's Enjoy

P.S. Please do not attempt this if you are not educated and licensed in pyrotechnics And please Be safe!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgaMo44vGrM&feature=g-upl&context=G2bb2fccAUAAAAAAABAA
To those who are watching this - match crackers are ILLEGAL in the USA!!! DO not - I repeat - Do NOT attempt to make these!!!
I believe they are legal however in Europe.
Dude - did you ever see the end result of of these going off in someones hand? Not a very pretty site - I can assure you!
IF Dave wants these kind of vids up on his site - up to him I suppose.

indianahx
01-29-2012, 11:09 AM
Joyce, arent these basically like salute crackers?

jknepp1954
01-29-2012, 03:55 PM
Joyce, arent these basically like salute crackers?
yes they are, and even worse. salute crackers (m-80's) etc have a least a decent length of fuse on them.
These have stuff on the end that you strike on a surface like a match - leaving a very unreliable time to get rid of match - hence lost digits or very injured digits - depending on the size of the match cracker!

J's12talk
01-29-2012, 05:45 PM
yes they are, and even worse. salute crackers (m-80's) etc have a least a decent length of fuse on them.
These have stuff on the end that you strike on a surface like a match - leaving a very unreliable time to get rid of match - hence lost digits or very injured digits - depending on the size of the match cracker!

I'm with you on this, I have stated before that it is a much better idea to get your type 54 permit and buy commercially made products than it is to risk injury trying made things on your own. There on plenty of things that go boom on the market that will satisfy your craving. I have learned first hand just how bad things can go wrong. The hospital is not were you want to be and there's all kinds of questions being asked that you don't want to answer. To each his own, this is just my advise.

J's12talk
01-29-2012, 05:58 PM
Here's something else to think about, I personally know three different professional manufacturing families that have lost family members in the process of making commercial product. They miss them and they can never get them back. They say your dead a long time is it worth it.

thechemist45
01-29-2012, 06:04 PM
Mathcrackers are not made with flas but a very slow burning composition which consists of potassium nitrate & aluminum. And the first %45 of the tube stays fully intact always because to get a bang out of such a slow burning coposition. They use extremeky thick walled convolute tubes and fill them almost %50 with hard compressed clay. So if you were uneducated enought to hold one. You would have your digits left instead of a M80 which is filled with 2-3 grams of flash in a thin walled tube and will evaperate your hand. Also the mixture for the time fuse behind the striker is a slurry mix of slow burning barium nitrate mixed with sulpher cabosil airfloat charcoal meal powder methyl cellulose. And is then rammed with a spoilet to make it hard. And out of thousands of them I never had a fuse go fast & certainly not faster than if you throw it after its lit. They use the toned down mix for safety & if they were to use reguler flash mix it would blow the whole tube apart and you would not be able to get 3-5 reports out of them. There loud because the upper part of the tube has to break through a extremely thick walled tube. They are way safer than M80s or any US salutes with are flash and tubes that tottaly destroy the whole entire casing into dust! And the fuses don't get crimped. The accident rate is so low where matchcrackers are used in France Russia Poland etc. I know I'm a chemist & certified in high power rocketry And I also wrote DO NOT ATTEMPT IF YOUR NOT LICENSED OR EXPERIENCED IN PYROTECHNICS

displayfireworks1
01-29-2012, 10:41 PM
These Match Crackers are very popular in Europe. This is certainly a project that should only be undertaken by very knowledgeable fireworks builder. I would recommend first learning how to make a spolette. I was also recommend learning how to make fireworks in general before you attempt to make something you are going to hold in your hand and light.
I can see a few folks find this video offensive. However, if you really think about it, he did not really make anything, he talked about making something. Your mind put a whole scenario together that may be different that what he is actually doing. He is talking about making a commercially available product sold all over Europe. Match Crackers are very popular in Europe. He also warns that this should only be done by the properly competent person. We will eventually see all sorts of pyro related comments and videos on the forums that may not be seen or discussed elsewhere. I know people that have their fireworks manufacturing license and make high explosives just to see if they can do it. I know it may be difficult for some but try to adjust your pyrotechnic tolerance level a little.

J's12talk
01-29-2012, 11:17 PM
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Best of luck to you.

thechemist45
01-29-2012, 11:57 PM
Hi if you listened correctly. I said only for licensed & people who are knowledgable to do such things. I am a chemist for 30 years. I know Dave & he was fascinated with all my old american fireworks that are no longer around anymore like crackerballs. And thought it would be a refreshing change out of the normal everyday stuff to show them as well as other foreign fireworks like matchcrackers. Also just for the record. M80s and all us salutes & firecrackers tottaly blow up. Matchcrackers always have %45 left in perfect condition from the bottom of the tube almost to the halfway point. And here is why. They don't use the flash we do. They use a way tamer mix of potassium nitrate & aluminum. Then they use super thick tubes. Even on the smallest ones. Then the powder is put in from the top & goes down to about the middle. So when they go off there load yet just for the record. If someone was holding one the part you hold don't explode. Its left on the ground filled with hard clay everytime. They also use that mix because if they used reguler flash it would blow the whole tube up and therefore the ones with 2-4 bangs would not work but instead be blown apart. Also I might add that the people who grew up with them may think are paper fuses all coated with flash especially in the thunderbombs from the 70s etc.. They may think were crazy for lighting them! Lol Also I personally have never had one single dud ever. And the fuses are consistent. Everytime! The delay mix is slow burning barium nitrate with cabosil & airfloat charcoal and works very well. Anyway I hope you enjoy seeing all kinds of fireworks as I do. And the recipe is just for the licensed and experienced who may like to make some absoloute salutes such as cracker balls and matchcrackers that are still being made but not sold in america. Thanks hope this explains some of your questions.

thechemist45
01-30-2012, 12:19 AM
Hi I just explained everything. But I will say As experienced as I am I do not make anything that's dangerous for me to make. And also a M80 may have a visco fuse. But if it goes fast your hand is gone! A matchracker if it accidently did go off while you were holding it. As long as you were holding. It at the halfway point your ears. May get hurt but your fingers will still be intact. Try that with a M80. I'm not siding up with matchcrackers lol I am just simply replying to the replies I see that are way off target. Also noone is going to die from any matchcracker. And M80s were usually held until the fuse burned low and people would throw them. This is why they were banned and are no longer here. You must use common sense with all fireworks. Also matcrackers can be lit on the ground with a match. You have to use common sense with everything. Even vitamins can hurt you or even kill you if taken in toxic quantitys right

thechemist45
01-30-2012, 12:26 AM
Hi also if you watch my video I made these with visco inside to be safe! And just use the striker formula as a way of lighting them. So these are even safer than a small cracker with visco only because before the inner visco I used on these even gets lit. It has to burn through the match striker composition. I actually made a safe matchcracker in this video!

jknepp1954
01-30-2012, 06:13 AM
chemist - there is just a very gray area here first of all even on making these things. if you can make these personally and not ever get injured - bless your socks!
Most of us on here practice extreme safe pyro as hobbyists and professionals. Safety to us is paramount!
to each their own i guess - didn't mean to offend - just saw too much in my short pyro experience to think otherwise.

thechemist45
01-30-2012, 07:52 AM
Hi good morning! It's Okay I also put safety before everything. I am not bragging but flattered that Bob Winokur & his friend Ken Kosanke who have put on many PGI events. Called on me to do tests on sulfides and to do over 80 tests for a book they have been working on for over 8 years! Dave also asked me to please come over and show some of my rare american heritage big fireworks collection. And not that it matters. But I made those matchcrackers with visco fuse inside! I only used the match striker composition mix as a way of lighting them. When I make those after 28 years I am so comfortable with the knowledge I have after all this time its as comfortable as building a model plane or boat etc.. Also I assure you the flash mixed used to make matchcrackers is so safe compared to the flash we are used to. It's pottasium nitrate & aluminum very slow. And believe it or not as I said almost %50 from the bottom on up can be found on the ground. Which means technically if you were holding one about %35 of the way the way up you would still have your digits really! I'm not advocating anything simply pointing out its the reverse of what people think they know. What I mean is try holding a M80 anyay you want and you will loss a hand. The one think I find amusing is all ground salutes should be lit on theground anyway lol So why does everyone alway's talk about things going off in someones hand? I will tell you why because everyone lights & throws salutes and that's how hands were blown up. And also is why they were banned in "66" right. Trust me Even the largest matchcracker should not be compared to M80s or cherry bombs or anything with todays standard %70-%30 flash mix with perchlorate & single digit micron dark pyro aluminum we usen As matchcrackers are made with potassium nitrate and large miron aluminum and burns as slow as black gunpowder. It's like comparing apples & oranges anyway they both still should be respected & handled safely as us humans are meer mortals made of very tender flesh that is no match for any kinf of explosive even sparkler which are the worst and will burn you worse or just as well as anything else.

J's12talk
01-30-2012, 10:18 PM
A genius and modest, what a rare combo. LOL!

displayfireworks1
01-30-2012, 11:27 PM
When I hear someone tell me they are mixing aluminum and potassium nitrate I always remember that combination generates heat. Did they used to recommend adding a small portion of boric acid into the mix to stop that reaction? Or it is not relevant to this mixture?

Chris H
01-31-2012, 02:48 AM
That's specifically for compositions that are wet with water. However, every little safety measure helps. It can't hurt for stability. There are more problems than just heat as well. The reaction produces ammonia and/or hydrogen sulfide depending on what else is in the composition.

pyromaniac
02-01-2012, 03:44 AM
Chemist thank you for sharing some of your pyro knowledge. Even if you never plan on making some, its still interesting to know how they're made!

thechemist45
02-02-2012, 08:44 PM
Hi Dave It's not revelant to this amount however they use different mixtures.It basically only pertains to when that kind of mixture is wet. They have as you know so many mixtures. But you can bet being in a matchcrackers for sonsumers it is not a concern in that amount to worry about. Me being a chemist I tested some of the mix with Methylene Blue. It's a chemical used by us chemists & old pyro's that is used to see if a mix has Perchlorate in it or not. It is Blue and you take a little of your mix that you wish to test. Then drop it in a glass of water. The aluminum floats to the top. Then you take a eyedropper insert it into the water beneath the aluminum thats floating on the top. And you take a tiny sample. Then you squirt that drop out preferably onto a pice of white tile. Then you just put a touch of methylene Blue into that drop of water. If it turns pink that means it has perchlorate in it. If it stay's the same that means it has another oxidizer like chlorate or Potassium nitrate. And no manufacturers use chlorate hardly every anymore especially in matchcrackers. So therefore its Potassium nitrate. But in such small quantity's they may add a bit of calcium carbonate But there is no heat issues to worry about,

thechemist45
02-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Hi there. You are very welcome. I would rather have people have the knowledge. Weather they are certified or not! Because if you live on a big spreade as you know people will do what they wish. So rather than have someone get hurt who may wish to try to make something like these. I would rather the knowledge be out there for licensed and unlicensed. Because I dont want anyone getting hurt! And also if someone does get hurt legal or not. The papers dont care and then everyone pays! So knowledge is good to have alway's period! If you ever need to know any questions and are not sure STOP! And write me I wil get right back to you!

P.S. Just a foot note. Matchcrackers are very very safe. After you light one it takes 2-3 seconds just for the striker mix to burn off and light the compressed powder delay behind it or the fuse as in the way I made them. But thats not even what I am talking about, If you light a reguler one. After it goes off. On the ground you will find almost %50 of that clay filled tube on the single report ones. So if someone was to ever be holding one which of course why would they stand there with it? Anyway there ears would ring And they may have to change there underwear. Depending on the size of it. But there digits would be intact! After lighting over 50 of them made from France. On the ground were 50 half matchcrackers. Only the top %50 blow up. Now in the double & triple reports the powder is in clay sealed compartments and does go farther down. But still even on those there is %30 alway's filled with clay from the bottom up. I'm just saying they get a bad rap is all. But imagine what other countries may think when they see are crackers from the 80s etc.. That have flash all over the paper fuses which almost everyone lit one at a time and many or most had very fast fuses since they were coated in flash lol Anyway it's just something to think about is all. Keep an open mind on everything until you know about it. Just as you did about these. It's a great way to learn about all the different way's something as simple as a firecracker can be made! Right lol Hey write me anytime : ) Mike

thechemist45
02-02-2012, 09:07 PM
You are VERY WELCOME The reply above was in return to your posting. I'm just learning how to post here Thanks Mike

thechemist45
02-02-2012, 09:10 PM
Hi Chris, Yes you are correct. There is nothing to worry about when it's dry. The reason they don't use your typical %70-%30 flash mix with perc is because it is to powerfull and it would blow the matchcracker to bits. And then you would not be able to have 2-10 reports, Also Potassium Nitrate & aluminum is a very comon mixed used in european countries.

thechemist45
02-02-2012, 09:21 PM
Maybe your right!?? I did graduate from a scholership from Brown university in chemistry And am certified in High Powered Rocketry I am level 2 certified with Tripoli.And we just recently won a 10 year Battle against the ATF and proved that Amonium Perchlorate is not explosive. And it is now off of the Explosives list & no longer needs a leup or permit to carry or Buy only that you be certified through tests and flying. How many people can say that!??? We prove that AP has the burn rate of cardboard. What are we going to put cardboard on the explosives list. lol The ATF hung themselves by setting a specific burn rate that if anything goes over that it's consider a explosive and for ten years they lied Until me & a bunch of other did tests and brought them to court and proved they were lying.Are club with steve eve is in the guiness book of worlds records for making and launching the worlds largest ever high powered model rocket a scaled down 1/10th version of the satern V go to Rocketry planet or type that in on youtube and see the launch. The rocket weighed 2,200lbs We used 60,000 in Ap M,N & O Motors we launched it in maryland.

NW Fireworks Lover
02-02-2012, 10:04 PM
Maybe your right!?? I did graduate from a scholership from Brown university in chemistry And am certified in High Powered Rocketry I am level 2 certified with Tripoli.And we just recently won a 10 year Battle against the ATF and proved that Amonium Perchlorate is not explosive. And it is now off of the Explosives list & no longer needs a leup or permit to carry or Buy only that you be certified through tests and flying. How many people can say that!??? We prove that AP has the burn rate of cardboard. What are we going to put cardboard on the explosives list. lol The ATF hung themselves by setting a specific burn rate that if anything goes over that it's consider a explosive and for ten years they lied Until me & a bunch of other did tests and brought them to court and proved they were lying.Are club with steve eve is in the guiness book of worlds records for making and launching the worlds largest ever high powered model rocket a scaled down 1/10th version of the satern V go to Rocketry planet or type that in on youtube and see the launch. The rocket weighed 2,200lbs We used 60,000 in Ap M,N & O Motors we launched it in maryland.

Wow, you were part of that? That must have been a truly awesome launch!!!

J's12talk
02-03-2012, 12:04 AM
Take it easy your working up a lather. LOL!

thechemist45
02-03-2012, 12:33 AM
Wow, you were part of that? That must have been a truly awesome launch!!!
Yes I been into highpower rocketry for a long time now at level 2 certification level. My last rocket was 38lbs 7ft long 15 inches round and it went 6.8 miles and went mach 2.2 the paint came back blistered. It showed I built my rocket well. Because right before you hit mach 1 the whole rocket contourts and shakes then after breaking the sound barrier if it held together! It's flying as smooth as a cadilac and then right before mach 2 that happens again but even more violontly! My altimeter set off my black powder charge with my electric match spot onand deployed my drouge chute then at 800feet she blew the main. Great flight. Yeah when we launched the satern v 1/10th scale in maryland it split in three pieces as planned and the bottom part actually landed just as it took off on it fins standing upright it was unreal!

eldridgejoe
08-12-2012, 05:30 AM
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Best of luck to you.Let People regulate themselves. the problem with this country is everyone trying to step in and "save" one another. Everyone can take responsibility for themselves as it should be. Oh, And vote republican;)