PDA

View Full Version : Contingency Letter in Florida

CarolinaPyro
01-28-2012, 09:46 PM
I am in the process of applying for my type 54 permit, thanks to help from Daves vids and information, but am running into trouble finding a display distributor within the 100 mile radius. I am an hour above Tampa, in Hernando County, and the one that used to have a magazine in my back yard now claims they do not do business in Fl and the other one Dave told me to contact said they were no longer issuing contingency letters.

Any help or ideas anyone can provide would be very appreciated.

William

displayfireworks1
01-28-2012, 10:42 PM
There is a fireworks display company in Tampa that sells 1.3 fireworks. They send catalogs out all the time selling 1.3 fireworks. You need to drive over there and talk to them. I do not want to get into all the details on the forums. When you contact a company you need to be clear, you are looking to purchase fireworks from them for whatever purpose. You also need to be clear you want to purchase from them. People that sell 1.3 fireworks do not want to help you get a license only to have you purchase from someone else. In addition, from what they tell me they want customers that are going to spend some money like hundreds or over $1000 plus dollars.
When you approach a 1.3 dealer, tell him as much about yourself and budget as you can. Ex. My name is “Joe Smith” I am having a fireworks display on August 27th of this year I am in the process of obtaining my fireworks license for 1.3 fireworks. I usually spend $1500 to $2000 on the display or I purchase fireworks six times a year with a budget of whatever it is. I am member of the PGI etc.
I cannot make anyone sell you fireworks. I also do not know you that well, so I have to add into the equation did the distributor hear something from you he did not like.
I can guarantee cooperation from anyone that is selling 1.3 fireworks and advertising on my website. All I can tell you is I hear from people all the time they are successful in obtaining the ATF Type 54 display fireworks with the information I give them. I cannot list all of the people selling 1.3 fireworks in Florida because I will need to reference The North American Fireworks directory and the material is copyright. I have been telling people to contact them using my name and asking for a discount on last years book. The company that sells the book is not one of my advertisers but I did have an agreement with them when I made this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4jdiEJZsdY

RisingComet
01-28-2012, 11:18 PM
Like most of us, it's probably an issue of both distributor availability and finances.

If you had the funds, you'd just buy a plot out of town, and toss a storage container on it.
If you could find a 1.3 distributor close to you, they'd probably offer you a contingency plan.

Such a silly thing for those of us who want to buy ematches in bulk, rather than dipping them one by one for the ONE show we do a year.

Okay, this is going to sound like a silly suggestion. Perhaps your family could pitch in for your magazine? I mean, a square acre would fit the table of distances quite nicely, it's just a matter of traveling to your acre. (Nicely, at least for a magazine containing less than 1000lbs pyrotechnic composition) A shipping container, acre, locks, and specials (as in gravel road) probably wouldn't cost more than $6000. That is, if you're buying without trying to find a deal. I KNOW you can do it for almost half of that around here, but maybe not in florida. Bank loan perhaps? As far as convincing your family to help, that's up to you. Family reunion fee anyone? haha Don't be afraid to ask farmers around your area if you can buy a small plot either. Just lay out the terms of agreement, and tell them that you will not have any residence there. Even if you're not an Ag guy, there are always hidden Ag communities around the country, and they have meetings... LOTS of meetings.

I don't know what else I could tell you. Remember, this is only the first of many hurdles you have to jump... and this one can be the biggest. It won't look like that in retrospect though. :)

Also, try calling around the 1.4 distributors and ask if they sell, or know anyone who sells 1.3. Ask to meet the distributor in person, dress well, and discuss your involvement in the pgi or (other) and ask about a contingency plan. It's hard to convince someone that you would be responsible without establishing a good relationship with them first. They might avoid the question if you ask it outright.

RisingComet
01-28-2012, 11:31 PM
Just to remind you, I don't yet have my license. I'm just in a similar position. For me, it's lack of current funds. I'm 22, what do you expect?
But I have 3 plans of action ready, just in case one doesn't work out. Hopefully I'll have a type 54 by August.

indianahx
01-29-2012, 11:02 AM
I have to comment on the 100 miles thing. I have heard 100 miles, 90 miles, hour and a half distance, ect. My letter of contingency came from someone who is roughly 80 to 90 miles away, so I cant really say I'm in the same boat. However, while I was at the distributor's place to buy ematch from him on my first visit, I had a little chat with him. He told me that there is NO LANGUAGE anywhere in the orange book or ATF rules that says there is a required distance to your contingency storage.

Keeping that in mind........When you send in your packet with your contingency letter and your action plan, your ATF agent DOES actually review it and go over it line by line. Mine came to my house with my packet and actually had me correct a few things to make it correct. When they see that you have contingency withing a good distance (i'm assuming), they will look more favorably on that then they will, say, if you had contingency from someone 3 states away. Never going to happen that way obviously. The ATF's major concern with you having contingency storage is that you will be able to get your 1.3 product into your magazine in a reasonable timely fashion if something comes up where you cant shoot it; and, if you actually own your own magazine far away, you are required to inspect and log everything from that magazine weekly. so it's a bit unreasonable to have a rain out on your display and still get product back to the container 400 miles away.

Having said that, it does NOT hurt to find yourself a 1.3 dealer out of your "100" mile radius and explain to them (like Dave said) that you are looking to purchase 1.3g fireworks from THEM, but would like to get a letter of contingency from them for your ATF agent's files. if nothing else, turn in that contingency letter with your packet. the most your ATF agent can do is say "no, too far". If that happens, you'll just have to look into something closer, or like the other guy said get your own magazine.

Another thing to consider is just because you have contingency with John Smith 1.3g Fireworks does not mean you HAVE to buy from him. HOWEVER, if you choose to buy 1.3g from a different vendor, you will more than likely NOT be able to bring that company's product and store it at John Smith's magazine so you might want to make sure the other company will give you contingency as well.

Hit me up if you have any questions and I'll try to answer them based on what I've done.

indianahx
01-29-2012, 11:06 AM
Rising Comet.....dont let the age/funds issue stop you from getting a license. I live in an established neighborhood (you know, playgroiund, kids in the street, dogs barking everywhere kind of neighborhood) and I got my ATF license mainly for the purpose of being able to buy quickmatch and e-match. Sure i'd LOVE to buy big big shells and cakes, but right now it's not feasible for me. But the different matches (and sticky match is available too) definitely enable me to do quite a bit more with my 'works than just becoming the "fuse man" as Dave has called it.

I've also been to a shooters course and open shooting where I was able to purchase some shells and fire them off. I'm also getting myself lined up to join a club and to get involved on the 1.3 side of some group shoots.

Just dont limit yourself. I thought of having my 54 sort of like having a gun for protection: Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.