PDA

View Full Version : New 6M mod

Birdman
12-28-2020, 03:58 PM
So I received an email the other day about the release of the 6M (6 Cue) Cobra mod. They say it is intended for the SPFX industry and at $250 for 6 cues (that's over $41 per cue) I don't see many hobbyists or even display companies being interested when you can get an 18M for not much more. Just wondering if anyone else has any thoughts or interest in this mod?

joewad
12-28-2020, 04:58 PM
I was really looking forward to this 6 cue mod when I was talking to Cobra personnel if they were going to come out with anything smaller than their 18 cue. They sent me a little info about this 6 cue mod but I knew then it would be out of my price range. I to, probably all Cobra registered users got one, that little email about their 6 cue mod. I have three (3) of their 18 cue mods and really enjoy them BUT, I still be using my cheaper Buliiscon units and 4 cue mods for when I need them. Sorry Cobra but your price point is just too high for your 6 cue mods.

specialfxpyro
12-28-2020, 11:48 PM
So I received an email the other day about the release of the 6M (6 Cue) Cobra mod. They say it is intended for the SPFX industry and at $250 for 6 cues (that's over $41 per cue) I don't see many hobbyists or even display companies being interested when you can get an 18M for not much more. Just wondering if anyone else has any thoughts or interest in this mod?

None of the companies I work for in SPFX industry have any interest in wireless firing systems. That's not to say there will not be an interest in the industry.

The biggest problem with wireless at a concert or pro sports event is wireless interference and no way to test for said interference prior to the show. Testing and doing a dry run in an empty venue will not tell you what could happen once the place is full of wireless devices.

It's really not that hard to run a wired system in any venue. I did college football for a couple of years. Myself and another SPFX tech would have 2 minutes to push 2 flame carts out on the field and then run back and pull 50' of XLR cable and 2 wire out to each cart. Then run back and arm 2 flame controllers and and a Fire One panel so I could fire the flame units and close prox pyro.

The Roof top pyro we used at the Philadelphia Eagles games required some really long runs of 2 wire back to the Fire One panel in the control room. Same thing we did with the NY Jets games.

Scott obviously had a demand from his customers otherwise he would have never bothered creating the 6m.

Birdman
12-29-2020, 10:00 AM
None of the companies I work for in SPFX industry have any interest in wireless firing systems. That's not to say there will not be an interest in the industry.

The biggest problem with wireless at a concert or pro sports event is wireless interference and no way to test for said interference prior to the show. Testing and doing a dry run in an empty venue will not tell you what could happen once the place is full of wireless devices.

It's really not that hard to run a wired system in any venue. I did college football for a couple of years. Myself and another SPFX tech would have 2 minutes to push 2 flame carts out on the field and then run back and pull 50' of XLR cable and 2 wire out to each cart. Then run back and arm 2 flame controllers and and a Fire One panel so I could fire the flame units and close prox pyro.

The Roof top pyro we used at the Philadelphia Eagles games required some really long runs of 2 wire back to the Fire One panel in the control room. Same thing we did with the NY Jets games.

Scott obviously had a demand from his customers otherwise he would have never bothered creating the 6m.

My guess is the demand is coming from the movie or theater SPFX industry. Since it's small enough to wear on a person I can see it being a good option for firing squibs.

displayfireworks1
12-30-2020, 09:02 PM
The professional market of course is always one segment that will always be there and have certain needs that need met. The advanced backyard fireworks enthusiast will be in for new things this year also. The little bit I am privy to, I hope to be announcing soon. I keep saying the now advanced fireworks enthusiast now look and behave more like display companies than they do like our pyrotechnic roots of making fireworks. Years back , display companies gave up making fireworks. They now concentrate more on displaying fireworks. Guess what, so have we as advanced fireworks enthusiast with the now affordable advanced fireworks firing systems and computers etc. The problem now is , the regulations and the professional organizations trying to hold onto the old ways.

specialfxpyro
12-30-2020, 10:45 PM
My guess is the demand is coming from the movie or theater SPFX industry. Since it's small enough to wear on a person I can see it being a good option for firing squibs.

CGI replaced the need to have actors wired up with bullet squibs and use actual pyro to create other SPFX in movies. Blood and gunshot effects on set are expensive. The re-set of each scene takes longer. The set is more dangerous. More staff is required. More permits are required.

I'm not sure where the demand is coming from but I'm sure Scott did not invest in the R&D and production of the 6m without a demand from some segment of the market.