PDA

View Full Version : Scripting Slats in Show Creator

Schooter4
12-21-2020, 03:04 PM
Hi all,
I am new to the Cobra system as of Black Friday this year. I am wondering how you script slats into your into using Cobra Show Creator. I have been hand firing my backyard shows for about a decade. I got into fusing and never completely got my show timed the way I wanted it. Also, I never got to see my show. Thank you!

rfgonzo
12-21-2020, 05:11 PM
First off congrats on the cobra. Your going to love it! When scripting you will just script your cue's on your 18M 1-18 you don't need to call out slats. It doesn't matter if you run 1 or more slats.

Robbro097
12-21-2020, 06:19 PM
I create a slats column in show creator and label 1thru whatever # slats and create duplicate cues say if chan2 cue 2 has 5 slats i duplicate that 5 times labeling each effect like i want and put 1-5 in slat column it doesnt make a difference in how the shows fired but its nice to b able to print out a label for each

Robbro097
12-21-2020, 06:27 PM
Right about 42:20 in this vid they show how to create a custom column im sure others have ways they like to do it but that method has worked very well for me to keep things orginized

https://youtu.be/A58Y2EoPhEg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A58Y2EoPhEg&feature=youtu.be

esgrillo
12-21-2020, 06:38 PM
Hi all,
I am new to the Cobra system as of Black Friday this year. I am wondering how you script slats into your into using Cobra Show Creator. I have been hand firing my backyard shows for about a decade. I got into fusing and never completely got my show timed the way I wanted it. Also, I never got to see my show. Thank you!

From a scripting standpoint there is nothing extra you need to do. From a planning and labeling standpoint there are lots of options.

I create a schematic for my show that shows all the slats, racks, and platforms and labels them. When scripting I use the notes column to show the details of what that cue is doing and where the location are for it. All my slats are mounted to a rack or platform so it is easy to go by that schematic. That way I will be able to keep track of what is firing when the cue hits... sometimes I have 5 effects going off for that cue.

I do not use cobra to print any labels and do them all by hand. I'm sure I am the exception in this case but it is very quick that way and I have a lot of cues in my show.

Here's the schematic showing the slats...

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5437&stc=1

Here's how they look in the script... Module 21 is firing 4 slats and onboard for example ....

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5438&stc=1

esgrillo
12-21-2020, 06:39 PM
Hi all,

From a scripting standpoint there is nothing extra you need to do. From a planning and labeling standpoint there are lots of options.

I create a schematic for my show that shows all the slats, racks, and platforms and labels them. When scripting I use the notes column to show the details of what that cue is doing and where the location are for it. All my slats are mounted to a rack or platform so it is easy to go by that schematic. That way I will be able to keep track of what is firing when the cue hits... sometimes I have 5 effects going off for that cue.

I do not use cobra to print any labels and do them all by hand. I'm sure I am the exception in this case but it is very quick that way and I have a lot of cues in my show.

Here's how they look in the script... Module 21 is firing 4 slats and onboard for example ....

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5440&stc=1

esgrillo
12-21-2020, 06:43 PM
Hi all,

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5441&stc=1

Birdman
12-21-2020, 06:59 PM
I just edited the firework name field with what slats the same firework needs to be wired to:

Example>>>>> http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5439&stc=1

In the example above I would have 2 (or more) slats off of the mod set to channel 4. I would wire that cake to the same cue on slat 1 (S1) and slat 2 (S2) that come off of the mod set to channel 4.

I always label the ends of my wires for each cake using masking tape with the channel (i.e. mod), cue number and in this case the slat so I know where they go after poking:

Channel/Cue:
4/1

or

Channel/Slat/Cue
4/S1/1

Looking at my script I need to change my note because I'm only using one slat and onboard cues now and not 2 slats.

IndianaPH
12-21-2020, 10:05 PM
Shooter4, welcome to the club. Like others, I have a schematic for my field layout.

As for scripting with slats, I like putting each item on its own event time. For example, for Channel 1, Cue 3 on the attached script, I have five items being fired with that cue, using slats spread across 5 positions. I then create a custom column for position and put each items location in that column. Show Creator will give you a warning (yellow highlight) that you have duplicated a cue, but it will fire just fine.

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5442&stc=1

I like doing this for two reasons. By putting each item on its own line, the product list quantities reflect the total number of each item I have in the script. The total on this list is the number of e-matches I need. I also like to be able to print a label off for each item. As I open the cases, I put a label on the item and then put it in the correct location.

Additional information about firing with slats:

One thing to watch is how many e-matches you are firing and at what distances between slats. The numbers listed in the cobra help give you guidelines and e-mailing Cobra can be a good thing so they can look at your particular situation. Just remember that if your module has onboard cues and you are using them with slats, the onboard cue and the slat cue will fire in parallel. I didn't see if you mentioned if you had series or parallel slats, but you may need to look at adding an external power supply to the module, if you are trying to fire a lot off one cue. Testing prior to your show is always a good thing. I would rather burn up a few e-matched to make sure that a new setup works than have something not fire during a show.

For example:

I needed to add the external power as I realized I was stretching the limits of the LiPo in the 36M when I was testing using one cue to fire 5 e-matches simultaneously across 5 36S series slats (one e-match per slat). The issue I was having was the total distance I had using 15M (50') cables (heavy duty CEN50 from Cobra) between slats (approximately 200' between the first and last slat). I discussed the scenario with Zach at Cobra and he ran the numbers for me to confirm I was pushing the limits of the LiPo and an external 24V power supply would probably fix the issue. I built a 24V external power supply and then did a full scale test of my script with the external 24V power attached to a 36M. My script was a little over 16 minutes and this setup allowed me to fire 105 e-matches, over 33 cues, across the five slats throughout the script on one 36M. I was firing from one to five e-matches in series on each cue, with the majority of the cues firing three or four e-matches.

Schooter4
12-22-2020, 06:29 PM
First off thank you. Right now I just have 3 18M with quickplugs. My NYE show only has 22 ques, so I will no need any slats for this show. I am researching for my 4th of July show next year. I am thinking about having 6 positions, 3 front, and 3 back positions. I am not sure if I should get 3 more 18Ms or use slats. The total length of the shoot site is 100' by 100', with the front position inline with each other and the same in the back.

Again thank you for the information.

Rob

Schooter4
12-22-2020, 08:34 PM
Thank you,

Birdman
12-22-2020, 09:29 PM
Next 4th I will be using 6 positions (3 front 3 back) just like you. I also had 3 18M's. My script for next 4th, as it turned out, had the same cakes firing at the same time on my back-left and back-right positions. I wasn't sure if I should get 3 18M's or 1 18M with slats (for the back-left and back-right positions) and 1 18M for my back-center position. I ended up getting 2 new 18M's with slats for one of them. So my layout will be 3 18M's in the front (left ,center, right) and 2 18M's in the back (left, center and slat off the left mod for the right). I figure I will likely always have 18 cues mirrored somewhere so why not get 1 18M with slats which does save some money. I have a fairly narrow site, around 100', like you so more than 3 positions across would be a tight fit. I went with parallel slats because I don't see me daisy chaining more than 3, maybe 4, slats off of a single mod. You have a lot more flexibility starting out with 3 18M's with quick plugs.

Rick_In_Tampa
12-22-2020, 09:54 PM
If you have 3 18M's why not go 2 front, 2 middle, and 2 back? Then if you want to mirror your left and right positions, just buy slats. It's a lot cheaper than buying 3 more 18M's.

If you go 3 front and 3 back you're going to have to buy 3 more 18M's, or if you use slats, you're going to have some really interesting wiring options to get separation between your effects.

Schooter4
12-26-2020, 03:42 AM
If you have 3 18M's why not go 2 front, 2 middle, and 2 back? Then if you want to mirror your left and right positions, just buy slats. It's a lot cheaper than buying 3 more 18M's.

If you go 3 front and 3 back you're going to have to buy 3 more 18M's, or if you use slats, you're going to have some really interesting wiring options to get separation between your effects.

I am leaning toward 3 more 18M's because this will give me more ques and options for different timing if I chose. I guessing it would be easer then running a lot of wire.

esgrillo
12-27-2020, 07:54 AM
I am leaning toward 3 more 18M's because this will give me more ques and options for different timing if I chose. I guessing it would be easer then running a lot of wire.

Hey one more comment... I tried 3 across and 2 deep (6 stations) one year and it added a lot of work and almost no bang for the time/buck. I feel unless you have a super deep shoot site it is not worth it.... you get more impact with width instead of depth. The audience really couldn't notice there were 6 platforms because with their perspective it was hard to tell. I just use three (main) all the time now

Birdman
12-27-2020, 11:11 AM
Hey one more comment... I tried 3 across and 2 deep (6 stations) one year and it added a lot of work and almost no bang for the time/buck. I feel unless you have a super deep shoot site it is not worth it.... you get more impact with width instead of depth. The audience really couldn't notice there were 6 platforms because with their perspective it was hard to tell. I just use three (main) all the time now

I suspect that front/back positions are really just a way to organize the layout with a smaller amount of mods. In my case front/back would blend into each other and in the end look a lot more like one left, center, right position. My front positions are where I usually put my fan cakes and other smaller cakes because this would be closest to a shoreline and the audience. I place my shells, 500g cakes or anything that shoots high and mostly vertical in the back where the site has more trees etc to worry about (away from the shoreline). I've already used a front, center, back layout (no left or right) because the site is very narrow. Point being I think the layout should be dictated by the site and not necessarily by any particular affect you are looking to achieve. As you pointed out, from an audience perspective, your not going to really notice whats in the front or the back.

At my 4th site I do have a possible hilltop position way higher and behind my main site that I would like to use in the future. If/when I use this position it would be to add a completely different layer to the show.