PDA

View Full Version : Cobra Command Center - Is it worth it?

tonyr
12-16-2020, 05:36 PM
I am trying to understand where the value is for the Cobra Command Center and I just don't see it. At $750 it just seems way over-priced. Even if it came with a basic tablet $750 would be high. Curious what someone who has purchased this has to say about it. Help me change my mind because I want to buy it but I just can't grasp how they have come up with that price.

Large Armored Case
Aluminum Faceplate with Storage Compartment
Pre-Attached Dry Erase Notepad Decal with Ultra Fine Tipped Marker
Lid-Mounted Tablet Holder (Accommodates tablets with up to a 10.1" screen)
15,000 mAh LiPo battery
OTG PC Board
OTG PC Board Cable Kit
Battery/Charging PC Board
Battery/Charging PC Board Cable Kit
SMPTE PC Board
SMPTE PC Board Cable Kit
SMPTE, USB, Deadman, & Charge Port Dust Covers
Key Switch, Key, and Lanyard
Antenna Connector Cap
Hardware Kit

tonyr
12-18-2020, 11:19 PM
Well I was hoping someone would chime in on this. I can think of a few reasons why there are no responses.

1. No one here has purchased it.
2. No one here wants to admit they purchased it... (for $750) :)
3. People have purchased it but haven't seen this post.

This is essentially what I see in the Command Center. A big box that holds an R2, has a big battery, SMPTE capabilities, a couple of cables for OTG, a tablet holder and some other minor pieces... $250 or even $350 to offset R&D costs but definitely not seeing $750. If someone can explain their experience and why they feel there is value in this product I would potentially purchase it. If not I guess I will move on with my planning for the 4th and put the money into another module.

esgrillo
12-19-2020, 03:23 AM
Tony -

I dont have one.... I guess I never found the concept of taking a very mobile 18R2 and and making it a desktop unit appealing. I mounted my tablet on the end of the 18R2 and that allows me to carry it around as necessary very easily. Its an old small Dell tablet that works well in this mounting arrangement. Im sure others that have purchased like it because it fit their needs. My 2 cents.

tonyr
12-19-2020, 02:13 PM
Thanks Ed. From a backyard pyro perspective I agree having the mobility can be beneficial. I wonder if this is targeted then to larger scale productions. At any rate one could also look at this entire hobby as being frivolous considering the costs involved. When I look at it from that angle the $750 command center falls right in line with everything else. Would still like to hear from someone that has one just to see what they like about it.

Birdman
12-20-2020, 01:22 PM
I wonder if this is targeted then to larger scale productions.

I think that this may be who would be most interested if not the target. Like Ed mentioned, the backyard hobbyist would probably prefer a bit more mobility as they are doing most, if not all, of the setup, testing and troubleshooting themselves. Those using cobra professionally would have a team of folks doing setup and communicating back to the person manning the command center. Having the R2 and control panel tablet in one case not only offers more protection of these assets but is less pieces of hardware they need track/inventory and setup. It also has more of the bells and whistles that professionals would want/use. When you factor in the potential benefits it can bring to a business it's a rather small investment.