PDA

View Full Version : Hello form Aruba

balashiman
01-14-2012, 10:49 PM
Hi Everybody,

My name is Earnie and I'm originally form Aruba. I've been in contact with fireworks since i was eight years old. Here in Aruba we love fireworks, it is a big part of our traditions and our culture. Every new year and also on every special dates
we Arubians use fireworks as part of the celebration festivities. In the 90's i had my first experience with 1.4 fireworks. In those years it was legal to buy mortar shells on the Island. I was about 14 years old when i began buying and shooting my firts 4", 5" and 6" inch shells.After a few years we also tried 12" inches. So I literally grew up experimenting and shooting big fireworks. :cool:

Bewteen the 2001 and 2004 the government banned the selling of shells of any size as they realize it was dangerous and as more and more accidents began occurring on the island. Luckely nobody died :D.

After graduating i went to Holland for my bachelors, and came back in 2006. In Holland i had a few experiences with fireworks in regard on how to make them. I took a beginners course on how to make powder, but it wasn't much. The guy giving the course didn't now what he was doing and he was just given the course to earn some extra cash. Now I'm working and waiting every end of year to get the opportunity to be able to buy my fireworks. (On Aruba it is only possible to buy fireworks on the end of Dec form 27 - 31). So every year i spent between $2000 and $3000 to buy my yearly supply. Some i throw on the new year's eve and the rest I store for special occasions. Usually I buy a lot of cakes and make the kind of boards I saw you make on yout videos. The only problem is I cannot buy electric fuses and or quick maches because u need a lincense to do so.:D

That's why i'm intrested in learning more about fireworks and be certified. I'm thinking on going to the PGI this year, but it is a bit far from Aruba so I'll need to save some mony fist :o. My dream is to one day help setup a professional display show.
I love the smell of powder, i don't know how to explain it to you, it's just in my blood hahahahahaaha.

Greetz from Aruba :rolleyes:,

Earnie

Pyro Nation
01-15-2012, 03:58 AM
First welcome. Yes. We all here to love the smell. There is a saying. Once u smell the smoke u r never free again. Awesome u are into the pyro field. Keep the dream alive. Then one day u will get to the PGI convention. Next year it is in my state Pennsylvania. That will be the first one I will ever have attended.

Palermitano2
01-15-2012, 11:19 AM
Welcome to the forum!

indianahx
01-15-2012, 01:00 PM
This year the PGI convention is in Indiana. It will be my first convention and I would highly recommend going as Indiana is a VERY pyro friendly state and it should be a great convention.

NW Fireworks Lover
01-15-2012, 03:41 PM
Welcome!! Some neat bootleg pyro going on in Holland

displayfireworks1
01-15-2012, 11:30 PM
Hello Earnie

If my research is correct it looks like the average temperature in Aruba is between 70 and 95 degrees Fahrenheit, 21 and 33 degrees Celsius all year long. Therefore, you are lucky in that respect. It would interesting to hear how much of a South American fireworks culture has made it onto the Island Of Aruba.
I am always amazed to hear how hard it can be to purchase fuse in some countries. Thank you for joining the forums it sounds like you have been using firework ssince a young age.

pyro man 205
01-16-2012, 01:01 AM
Welcome to the forum!

PyroJoeNEPA
01-16-2012, 12:28 PM
Bon Bini na e foro Earnie! Welcome to the Forum. You live in a truly beautiful place. I was fortunate to spend several days there with my wife a few years ago. Unfortunately, I did not get to see [or shoot] any fireworks while I was there. Are there professional fireworks companies on the island that shoot displays for your festivals? Or is it just the residence that shoot their own personal "stash" of fireworks? '
Can you legally buy chemicals or black powder to make fireworks in Aruba?
Keep after your dream--you can & will get there one day. In the meantime, try to learn all you can. The PGI would be an incredible educational experience for you if you could make the trip.