PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Puerto Rico

Ed.PR
01-14-2012, 08:28 AM
I'm a big fan of fireworks...who doesn't?

J's12talk
01-14-2012, 11:11 AM
Glad to have you aboard and yes we love fireworks.

PyroJoeNEPA
01-14-2012, 04:10 PM
Welcome to the forum Ed.

Pyro Nation
01-14-2012, 06:14 PM
Welcome to the Forum.... I actually know a couple people who are not crazy about fireworks...they actually went and filed complaints after a show we did because it was too loud... Fortunate for us... The fire chief of the area is the brother to one of the guys on the crew

displayfireworks1
01-14-2012, 08:44 PM
Thank you for joining the forums.
Here is a copy of something I found on the internet. Apparently, the Puerto Rico police confiscated a large amount of fireworks in 2005 and were storing them improperly. I will copy and paste the material here. Puerto Rico is a “District” of United States what exactly all that means I do not know. I am also researching if the ATF Display Fireworks license is used in Puerto Rico or what method is used for purchasing display fireworks. The regulations are issued by the United States Environmental Protection Agency. Maybe the United States Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosives regulates 1.3 fireworks. If they do you may be in luck and can get your ATF License to purchase 1.3 fireworks. I will update when I find something out.
http://www.nyrealestatelawblog.com/2009/11/puerto_rican_pyrotechnics.html

EPA Orders Puerto Rico Police Department to Improve
Handling and Disposal of Confiscated Fireworks

(New York, N.Y. - Nov. 23, 2009) In an effort to enhance public safety and protect the environment, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has reached an agreement with the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico to improve the way the Puerto Rico Police Department manages confiscated fireworks and other pyrotechnics after an inspection revealed violations at five police department facilities. The department must develop and implement a plan so its facilities comply with the federal Resource Conservation and Recovery Act's (RCRA) requirements for the management of certain types of explosives and pyrotechnics.

"EPA supports the Puerto Rico Police Department's effort to keep its citizens safe by confiscating illegal fireworks and other pyrotechnics," said EPA Acting Regional Administrator George Pavlou. "By complying with federal hazardous waste management laws, the department will have taken a big step to ensure that these materials no longer pose a threat to public safety once they've been taken off the street."

At the time of an EPA inspection in 2005, the Puerto Rico Police Department had confiscated more than 100,000 pounds of pyrotechnics and was storing them in tractor trailers at its facilities in Isla de Cabras, Rio Piedras, Humacao, Aguadilla and Mayaguez. Storage facilities were near public areas, the storage trailers and containers had deteriorated and lacked proper labels, and the facilities lacked emergency response equipment, fire suppression systems and other equipment needed for compliance with hazardous waste management laws.

In 2005, EPA issued to the Puerto Rico Police Department a notice of violation regarding the facilities handling of the confiscated materials. By the end of 2007, the department had shipped all confiscated materials to an authorized disposal facility in Louisiana.

EPA's order gives the Puerto Rico Police Department 90 days to develop and submit a plan for the future handling of confiscated pyrotechnics. The order requires that these materials be handled in compliance with RCRA in a safe and timely manner. EPA held a public comment period for the order, which ended on Sept. 8, 2009, and a public meeting in Toa Baja on Sept. 1.